x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Any other CDN DSL users with crap service?

wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-17 5:41 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I don't know if's the recent weather but my 3mb DSL is no bette than a 384kb serice this week week. Terrible lag, long paget load times, ugh.

I reset everything to no avail. My speed still skinkks.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-17 7:38 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You could have a flooded utility conduit, freeze thawed line converter into the house, partially severed connection, fully severed connection and your DSL is being routed through a limited bandwidth pipe, damaged exchange, or any number of other combinations of faults. I would report it to whoever your Telco is (forget about reporting it to the ISP - unless they are one and the same, usually gets you patronised by some snotty 17 year old) and ask them to test your line.

I shant be crying too hard for you though, out here in the wilderness of the UK badlands, all I can get is 512K. So seeing someone with 3Meg brought back down to my level is rather satisfying muhahahahaha
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-02-17 3:22 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

I have 1.7mb (more before it was capped properly, they accidentally gave me 768kb upload for a while! ), but recently I have had the same problem. It seems like a phone pole down the street is damaged, and it is affecting my friend as well. I have had to reconnect more times than I would like, and sometimes my connection is 1/3 the speed. I pick up the phone, and hear static. If my house still used modems, we would not get a connection at all.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-17 6:43 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i have 2.2 mbps download / 200 kbps upload..

geeeeez this is so ridiculous to have 10 times the download speed....

but it is very stable in both directions.

Edited by cmonex 2006-02-17 6:45 PM
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-02-17 7:08 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

I used to be able to upload multiple ftp's at a grand total of 120kb/sec....now I can only get 40kb/sec for one.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-17 9:22 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Not really rediculous. There are both technical constraints and financial ones.

Technical are that you are bouncind a full duplex signal set down the cable, the up and down stream carriers have to be suitably distinct and occupt different areas of the cable. If you want it symmetric you have to use 50% of the cable for each side, if you didn't have your 10:1 ratio, you would be complaining that your DSL was too slow

Financial constraints are that they need to have more expensive symmetric hardware on exchanges, and that the ISP's can load bandwidth onto the download connection which the vast majority use - and notice. Making more money from the same infrastructure.

Wont somebody PLEASEEEEEE think of the ISP's
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-18 2:18 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I suspect wet wires. I had a pair switch done 4-5 years ago and my current pair is probably in their final throes. I wouldn't mind the speed drop if the price in accordance dropped as well. I'd be paying about $3.5 monthly for my current level of service. Oh well, I have an inside telco connection who can fix me up in in a jiffy when I'm fed up enough.

And to think my first high speed was cable with 10Mb symmetrical. That was fun for the short period it lasted.

Edited by wallythacker 2006-02-18 2:21 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-18 9:19 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

10Meg symmetric rools:

If only
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 8