x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

ActiveSync, Microsoft Plus Pack and H/PC Favourite Synchronisation

dgt123
dgt123 Page Icon Posted 2006-02-17 7:22 AM
#
This has been bugging me for ages so when I found the solution I thought I would share it.

I feel it should be placed under "Technical Support \ ActiveSync" but there is no category for this - so it is here!

My setup:
HP Jornada 728 (but the device is irrelevant to the problem)
ActiveSync 3.8
Microsoft Plus Pack

See attachments at the end referenced by ().

If your Handheld PC has the Microsoft Plus pack installed and you are synchronising Favourites with your HPC, then the following error can occur if ActiveSync 3.8 (and below) cant handle certain favourites being synchronised.

If a message box appears (The Error.jpg) saying RSC_WRITE_OBJ_FAILED then there is a favourite that has a character embedded in the file name that ActiveSync cannot handle.

(Really, there should be SOME error information that describes the file it had a problem with so that users can get to the bottom of the problem but there is none!)

This results in an annoying and permanent unresolved item(s) unless you delete all your favourites and/or find the link at fault (The result.jpg).

Really, all favourites are just shortcut files on the disk. This means that they have to obey the same rules as any other file name and not contain illegal characters. Unfortunately, it seems that Internet Explorer allows the adding of a favourite containing illegal characters.

An example link (The Problem Link.jpg)

If this favourite is examined under Windows explorer it can be seen that the file name contains an illegal character (The problem character.jpg).

SOLUTION: Delete the favourite or rename it.

RESULT: Back to normal H/PC Favourite Synchronisation (back to normal.jpg)!

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-17 7:28 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Well done sir, nice guide!

Deserves to be in the CESD if you would like it to be put in there?
 Top of the page
dgt123
dgt123 Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 8:55 AM
#
Hi,
Mmmm.... "CESD" - ?? Sorry, don't know what that is! "Support & Tutorials"?

But please do, feel free to put anywhere else on the site if it is useful to other users.

Regards!

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 1:58 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

dgt123,

The CESD is HPC:Factor's knowledge base.
Thanks, I'll get it into it.

Edit: Here you go: http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/s/0106.asp
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 9