x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada 720 loose screen

sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-12-27 5:18 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Hi all, it seems that taking my 720 to Florida was a bad idea. Having dropped it twice there, the screen is a bit loose now, and when I pull it up the close it kind of flops. I have seen similar behavior on an old Sony Vaio laptop that had had its own experience of beatings. Can this problem be fixed simply by tightening the torx screws under the battery compartment?

-I can't buy another one now as my wallet was stolen when I was having my *vacation* in Florida. Oh yeah, C:Amie I went to England (in Disney World) too bad that I didn't have the chance to try out some old English tea...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-12-27 5:39 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If it is just a flop then tightening the lower one and if applicable to the looseness, the ones under the stickers in the lower corners of the screen casing.

If the hinge is loose then you will need to pull it apart and get a spanner on it.

Only in America do you go to Disney World to go abroard
I try English tea every day
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-12-28 1:13 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I like dictionary.com's definition of spanner: "Chiefly British. A wrench." (Would help out if you said wrench, I thought it was a wire wrapping of some kind .

I don't want to risk shorting my screen, how exactly would I go about opening the screen (safely - as in with the urge of putting it back together again) And how would I remove the stickers so that they can be put on again?

-How's pinkie?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-12-28 9:26 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

A wrench is a firm, hard tug. A spanner is a spanner.

The screen stickers are plastic backed on foil and the foil has adhesive on it. You need a very fine screwdriver or point and need to get beneath the foil - otherwise the plastic will pull away and it has no cohesivness to the foil.
Remove the screws.

The front panel comes away from the back panel. Go around the edge pushing the front panel downwards until the clips release. They are very strong. Dismanteling one of these things is by no means the easiest thing you will ever do. Especially not the first time.
There is a controller on the right hand side with two PCB's. One the control circuit the other the Back light power distributor. The bus runs down the side coils around the hinge and then down into the motherboard.
To remove the hinge shield you have to remove the lower screw set and then push the edges inwards. Be aware that the cover is load bearing and extreamly tight and very difficult to remove (and in the same light put back)
Be sure you get the LED alignment correctly when you put it back together otherwise you will crush it.

Pinkie is currently off
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-12-28 11:51 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Awww I'm just going to break it if I try that. Hopefully I can just fix it by tightening it with the screws on the bottom. There is a void if removed sticker which seems that it has a screw underneath it, is this right (I have no warranty anyways) and also, could the screws underneath the stickers need tightening?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-12-28 12:25 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Yes there is one under it
Yes it is possible. One set hold the mounting the other part of the screen.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-12-31 5:54 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I am proud to announce to everyone on the forum that I was able to successfully tighten the screen of my Jornada 720 with an eyeglass repair flathead screwdriver. (Those always come in handy!) Sadly I removed the fancy void if destroyed sticker to get to a screw that after all did not need to be tightened.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 11