x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

My MP790 is on her deathbed...

1 2
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2006-02-25 1:28 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

CardboardCrusader, I had a little thought,
if you want me to, I'll have a look and fix it for you, which is no problem to me. Sounds like the PC card socket is loose (easy to solder back on) and so is the CF card socket.
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2006-03-03 12:19 AM
#
Wow, I had never thought of hiring a repairman.... but let's just see how things go.

Good news, the CF slot works! I found a few dog hairs in it last night, while trying my friend's microdrive, and I got them out. Maybe that was the problem. As for the IR port, the only device I've tried to communicate with was a Dell Axim X50v, so maybe it's not broke, and I can blame the PPC?(I can still see it flicker when I try to send something!) And the scroll wheel, it still works, but it's the directions are awkward. Like, up is left!(Does this have anything to do with RemapMP? I've been using that for a while, but I never noticed any scroll wheel problems)

After thinking about it, I just might be able to fix it! Yes. I searched around on some old IBM thinkpad forums and many people had that problem, too. The thing with the the pins on it is loose on the inside, so when you push the card in, the pins arent making contact with the holes in the card. I'll bet that's the problem. As for the screws and battery falling out, I think that's because I put the wrong type of screws into it, after taking them out. Don't ask why.

Pretty much, if I can get the PC card slot tightened up, I just might be able to save this dying damsel and restore order to the universe! Or, the coffee shop, for that matter!

(But even if I fix it, I'm STILL getting a Jornada.)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-03-03 12:28 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

CardBoardCrusader - 2006-03-02 9:19 PM
Good news, the CF slot works! I found a few dog hairs in it last night, while trying my friend's microdrive, and I got them out. Maybe that was the problem.

Man, dogs and MP790s just don't seem to go together. I still remember when Yoldering's dog locked him out of his own house with his 790 a few months back.

(But even if I fix it, I'm STILL getting a Jornada.)

'nuff said.
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2006-03-03 12:33 AM
#
CE Geek - 2006-03-02 9:28 PM
Man, dogs and MP790s just don't seem to go together. I still remember when Yoldering's dog locked him out of his own house with his 790 a few months back.

Yes! I remember that too:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=7&start=91

Good Times...
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2006-03-03 11:40 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I remember that! :-)
Don't worry, I came home about a few months ago, got off the train went upto the door.... oh crap! I forgot my keys! So I whipped out my phone and Mobile Pro, plugged in the wireless (and froze my fingers!), surfed while I await my father to turn up 10 minutes later!
 Top of the page
wa3ra Page Icon Posted 2006-03-24 3:08 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I just scored a mint 790...I'll probably sell my recently snagged 780 soon..

Get thee to WallyWorld or some other big-box retailer. Grab a 2-up CD case. They make a halliburton-look-alike case for under 20 bucks. Scoop out the CD sleeves, hot glue down a few small foam blocks for a custon fit, glue a layer of felt in, and away you go!

Or just snag obe of the cloth and vinyl 2-ups for $8, and cut out the cd sleeves...

Cheapo insurance!
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2006-03-24 3:11 PM
#
Cool! I'll have to do that!
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.185 - Cached queries : 43 - Executed queries : 27