x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Porting HB++ (Palm) application to J680

disc
disc Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 5:32 AM
#
Hi!
My english is bad, but I'll try my best!
I have little experience with HandheldBasic++ for Palm devices, mainly because my project.
I'm using programmable electronic fuel injection controller ( http://www.megasquirt.info ) to control my turbocharged engine in the car.
Right now I'm using Palm device to show/configure my EFI controller realtime variables, but since I need more stuff to display and more configurable GUI, Palm device is no longer capable to calculate/show all the stuffs I want.
Recently I put my hands on Jornada 680e, and since then I try to find way to port serial communication part of Palm programm to Jornada. I have all needed software (Visual Studio 6, Windows CE Toolkit for Visual Basic 6.0, Windows CE Toolkit for Visual C++ 6.0, ect.) but can't make it . HB++ application that I use is not made by me, but I use just serial communication part and made my own GUI. HB++ is funny and not so complicated as Visual Basic or VisualC++ and thats the reason that I can code in HB++.
I've made some tests with included VB and VC++ examples and they work on my J680 but that's all.
First I need some advise what language is more userfull for my needes?
I want to show few needles and bar graphs, also few vital engine variable like battery voltage, engine temperature ect. (all needed information can be accessed through COM port of my EFI controller and I have all needed info). There are few programms for Windows (XP, '98, 2000) and Linux for "normal" computers, but I can't stick huge LCD in dash of my car. That's why I want to use HPC.
I found in examples a COM port test programm but can't find out the way it works.
So I need little help with serial communication part of my GUI project.
Please, please anyone that can help me - put some light on serial communication stuff in VB or VC++ for WindowsCE.
Thanks!

Nikolai.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 9:24 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Personally, if speed is not of essence, VB is good enough. Note that VB apps are .vb files and not .exe files, they are some object code or something, not native binary. VC++ is useful if you need speed and more control.

In your case, if you are ok with VC++, I would highly recommend going this route.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 59 - Executed queries : 8