x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

What is this slot for on a Jornada 720?

Parrot Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 5:44 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi Guys,
Just above the pcmcia slot on my Jornada 720 there is another slot.
All I can find out about it is that it accepts "Smart cards" but what are they?
It looks too big to be for a Smartmedia memory card.
Is it maybe a region specific thing?
Anyone know what it is and what it is used for?
Cheers,
Steve
 Top of the page
AndiF
AndiF Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 5:52 AM
#
Hi Steve,

it is for smart cards (not smart media!) like banking cards etc.
Unfortunately there is no software available for this usage

Andreas
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 5:54 AM
#
The idea was you could lock your Jornada and only unlock it with a personal ID card (which you could pick, bank cards/store cards... anything with the little chip on it). That way your Jornada would be useless to anyone who pinched it. However, people complained about it possibly being hacked and details being stolen (although this is unfounded, all that is on a credit card is a customer-number, which is on all reciepts and so on). So, no one developed for it.
 Top of the page
Parrot Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 6:15 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks guys,
Does that mean it's pretty much useless or could the owner still use it as it was intended by slotting in a credit card and following the proper steps?
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 7:48 AM
#
Pretty much useless. The only driver is a basic IO one, which wouldnt let you do anything. The JLime project has some plans to support it though, so keep waiting...
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 4:30 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

If a fluent programmer decided to implement the feature into CE, it could be done. Only thing is that it hasn't.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 4:37 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If you slie a smart card into it right now, it'll wake up and a popup will appear on the screen informing you that the hardware detected a card. Aside from that however, it's of little use. Nice party trick though.

Getting credit cards in it is not a good idea though as the raised numbers are... well, raised that little bit much.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 12:00 AM
#
H/PC Elder

TIPS: you can use it to store businese cards (a couple). When you pull it out people would think you just printed it! You can even make it warm if you have a WiFi card in the PC Card slot activated for a while. Don't forget to make the remark that you would have beamed the card electronically if the recepient had a PDA/phone with IR port.
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 7:20 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

C:Amie, when I inserted a non chip card, I did get a response,

So it does work then?
 Top of the page
alfabob
alfabob Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 7:35 AM
#
takwu - 2006-02-20 12:00 AM

TIPS: you can use it to store businese cards (a couple). When you pull it out people would think you just printed it! You can even make it warm if you have a WiFi card in the PC Card slot activated for a while. Don't forget to make the remark that you would have beamed the card electronically if the recepient had a PDA/phone with IR port.

Anything to break the ice!!! It never amazes me how clients would drool once you take out something like the J or my old Psion Netbook. I tell ya, a good 30 minutes would go by just talking about the gadget and showing how useless their PPCs were!!!
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 7:57 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Hey, it works, but there's no information on what cards it supports making it a near impossible task. I did some smart card development a few years back so still have some things around, but nothing of any use with the 720.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 9:32 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Wes,

As I outlined above, it does bite when prompted.
You can put anything in there, and all I've ever gotten from it is "Unidentified". The missing "driver" is the software which makes it identified.
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 9:43 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

That's the strange thing - the stub of a driver is there... How much is implemented? Well, I just don't know.

Execute "secusage.exe" from the \windows directory on a command line, select "business" (or is it corporate - not got a 7xx with me at the moment) and then go to security: a new tab has appeared.

I do have a variety of smart cards designed for security, including a probably exceedingly rare "smart card for Windows" MS-branded smart card, and nothing works. Then again, I don't really know what it's looking for... I could hack through the SDK sometime to see if there's any meaningful APIs, I suppose, but I don't really feel the need to
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 11:03 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

"feel" it Chiark, go on, you know you want to

Top of the page
pexic Page Icon Posted 2006-03-02 6:57 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Salut chiark , do you try also with one Windows powered smart card with an windows certificate on it ? I have only blank cards (unformatted - Atmel90sc3232) and the "Initialize" and "log on using smart card" fields are innactive..
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 13