x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Toothpaste Screen

1 2 3
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 1:14 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Brushing (or wiping) twice a day keeps your mouth (and screen) healthy...
This is what happens if you do not brush...

Just kidding of course
On topic: An Un-Orthodox way to clean your screen... I may try it on my Velo...
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 3:17 AM
#
Well... It worked for me...

The center of my touchscreen had a 2cm long (ish) gouge (if you ran the stylus over it it would stick). Around that bit touchscreen calibration was a bit off. After doing this it seems quite a bit better. The scratch is also visibly less visible.

Until i leave school i'll have to stick with bodging repairs till i can afford a better condition HPC.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 2:02 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

This thread's a riot.
I award it the February 2006 trophy for most amusing yet informative thread!

Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 4:06 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

This isn't a joke. I have an old Casio E-105 that has a terribly scratched screen. I also have an old old pair of glasses that are all scratched up as well. If I wear them and look at the Casio LCD, it looks great and I can use it fine. Try it with my normal glasses and it is pitiful beyond use.

Rich
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 4:59 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

As I said, it's informative
 Top of the page
oski Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 7:12 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

MORE INFORMATION!!!!

A crash course in toothpaste formulation. Typical composition

- Abrasive: 20-50% depending on abrasive, that can be Silica, Chalk, Alumina, or Ca Phosphates.

- Extender or filler: usually a mixture of Sorbitol and water to make the toothpaste self-preserve

- A detergente, like sodium laurysulphate

- Fluoride in differentet chemicals

-Flavour,

-thickening agent

- other minors

- So, read in your toothpaste tube to see the abrasive being used.

- the abrasives are mild and should not affect the dentine, the soft cover of your teeth.

- the dentine is softer than glas and most polymers, so |I doubt you are polishing your screen at all

- May be it is just withcraft or some sort of Placebo effect!!!!

- As you apply the toothpaste, then let it dry, and then remove the excess with a soft cloth, all you are doing at the best is filling the scratches with a dried toothpaste, but the scratches are still there.
- Or you screen was foul dirty and you just cleaned it!!!!

- C:Amie : gel and opaque toothpastes can have exactly or very near the same composition, just change a bit yhe refractive index, is opaque or add a bit of TiO2 andd will look opaque

Good fun!!!!!!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-02-21 5:06 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Rich Hawley - 2006-02-20 1:06 PM

This isn't a joke. I have an old Casio E-105 that has a terribly scratched screen. I also have an old old pair of glasses that are all scratched up as well. If I wear them and look at the Casio LCD, it looks great and I can use it fine. Try it with my normal glasses and it is pitiful beyond use.

Rich

Do you have to, like, hold your head at a certain angle so that the scratches on your glasses line up with those on the E-105's screen?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-02-21 6:48 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Yes...yes...you have a pair too?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-02-21 10:36 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

LOL . . . . No, my E-105 screen is fine, and I wear contacts (though I practically need a white cane without them).
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-21 11:00 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Ugh, why didn't I read this thread *before* I used the sandblaster.....
 Top of the page
Nospherat Page Icon Posted 2006-11-19 6:33 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Greetings y'all...
Say hello to my beloved baby, her name is Jojo, and as you have probably guessed from the pics, she's a Jornada 720 that I have "liberated" from a total moron. He had lost the stylus and was using a sharp bamboo stick instead. Boy... some ppl...

Now, i have made a replacement stylus, from an old metallic pen, some black stylish tube (that was electrical insulation of some sort), and, most important, the tip is made from the softest plastic i've ever seen - from some toy or something.
And the stylus fits and stays where should.

Now, i don't know, the display is pretty scratched and i really don't want to damage it further, so i'm still thinking if i should use the famed "toothpaste method" or not.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/negative_perception/Jojo/P1010964.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/negative_perception/Jojo/P1010963.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/negative_perception/Jojo/P1010962.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/negative_perception/Jojo/P1010961.jpg

Edited by Nospherat 2006-11-19 6:37 AM
 Top of the page
macmee Page Icon Posted 2006-11-19 7:14 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

my screen has this enourmus scratch in the upper left hand corner. and the bottom is so scratchd from clicking the start menu it hardly has sensitivity. This idea I don't know is good. what if the cover is closed on the device and the toothpaste drips onto the keyboard.

Goodbye keyboard.

The inky water idea? what if we bring the handhelds outside on a cold day? I believe water expans in frozen areas in any form. it would crack the screen.

im going to try this on a Tungsten E2 palms cast before even going near a screen.
 Top of the page
macmee Page Icon Posted 2006-11-19 7:29 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

it didn't work with CDs.
it didn't work with cases.
I doubt it will work on hand helds. one mistake and its dead.
 Top of the page
oflash Page Icon Posted 2006-11-19 10:10 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Wow, older thread. It's
Dawn of the Thread

I've refurbished a handful of Jornada that mo-rons has lost the styli for. One "pen" is as good as another, right?

The result was someone's note-taking on the screen in blue ink. On almost all of them. Ack. I took care of that with some rubbing alcohol, but there were still some moderate marks left in the wake.

I did the toothpaste thing. Two things, it did certainly reduce the marks' severity. And, yes, I wiped the screen down with clear water afterwards, so, no, it's not just the toothpaste filling in the spaces. The second thing: there is a certain matte quality to the screen. You think screen glare is bad now? Overdo it with the toothpaste and it will be moreso. It'll be smooth and shiny. If only it did that good a job on my teeth.

Luckily, I found that out on a busted practice screen, so no harm.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-11-20 2:45 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I'm just glad someone revived this thread, even if it was against the rules (and even though wallythacker's post above was a perfect closing comment). Possibly the funniest thread in this site's history.

Edited by CE Geek 2006-11-20 2:47 AM
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.281 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 14