x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Sawtooth Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 4:39 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hey y'all,

I'm new to the forum and soon to be a 720 or 728 user. I am currently a treo user and have my unit and accessories up on auction on ebay(item5868546318). I have decided to make the change because my locksmith business has grown and the treo is limited to palm software which is in itself limited. I have been doing alot of research on the different clamshell type hpcs and have decided on the jornada 720 or 728......which now brings me to my inquiry. I am looking for advice from you seasoned users to help me make a decision on which to buy. I am not a stranger to computer software and hardware so upgrading a device does not scare me. With that, what would be the most cost/time effective, upgrading a 720 or buying the 728?
I will be using this for every aspect of my business (estimating, generating and printing invoices, GPS, running software for automobile key codes, masterkey programs etc.) so I am also going to need advice on which OS to use. Compatibility is the issue. Also, does the software that comes with the 728 include the patches needed to run acrobat and visit secure sites on the net?

Y'all have probably answered these questions dozens of times but I was hoping to get direct and current responses so that I wouldn't have to search and sort thru the sites threads. Call me lazy....

Thanks in advance, Matt
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 4:45 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Lazy.

720 is probably all you need. Secure sites? Sometimes...the web browser is not too great currently. Acrobat? Yup.

How much fun is it to pick locks? Sorry.
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 4:49 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Basically the only differences between the 720 and 728 is that the 728 has an extra 32mb of RAM built-in and comes with a higher capacity battery. The rest is the same. HPC2000 is the OS that both the 720 and 728 use and is the newest HPC OS available. You can definitely visit secure sites on either one as well as use an acrobat reader.

The 728's tend to be pricier because they're not quite as easy to find in comparison to the 720's.
 Top of the page
Sawtooth Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 5:10 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

So what you are saying is that the benefits do not out weigh the cost for the 728 and that the 720 should suit my needs.

I will probably go that route considering that the 720 can always be upgraded to 64mb.

What kind of life span can I expect with the 720 battery w/ moderate to heavy use. (not time between re-charge)

Thanks for your speedy response I'm sure I will have alot more questions.

Matt
 Top of the page
Sawtooth Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 5:14 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Depends on the lock and what might be on the other side
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 6:04 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Sawtooth - 2006-02-19 11:10 PM

So what you are saying is that the benefits do not out weigh the cost for the 728 and that the 720 should suit my needs.

I will probably go that route considering that the 720 can always be upgraded to 64mb.

What kind of life span can I expect with the 720 battery w/ moderate to heavy use. (not time between re-charge)

Th

no, the 64 mb upgrade is now hard to find

battery life is very good, you should be able to get 9 hrs if the battery holds a decent charge

Top of the page
jpfx Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 8:08 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

pocketpctechs appear to be offering the upgrade still.
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 1:22 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

jpfx - 2006-02-19 8:08 PM

pocketpctechs appear to be offering the upgrade still.

Direct link to upgrade here. Still costs $129.00
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 43 - Executed queries : 32