x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

What makes up your Home entertainment System?

1 2 3
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 10:10 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Many (but not all) people have Televisions... What makes up your home entertainment system?
Me:
-Pioneer CLD-990 Laserdisc Player
-Sony Playstation 2 (Original Kind)
-Sony TV (Cannot Remember Model)
-RCA Portable DVD Player
 Top of the page
Snake Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 10:22 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Hmmmm:

Sony KP-WS510 42" HD-RPTV
Denon DVD-2200 DVD/SACD/DVD-A combi
Marantz LV-510 LD/CD combi
JVC HR-S2902U SVHS
Parasound DAC-1000 D/A converter
Stax SRA-14S Integrated
Klipsh DD-5.1
Sony Playstation2 (original)
Stax SR-404 Signatures
------------
H/PC: HP 660LX
PC's: HP ZD7000 CTO 3.4gHz 17" DVD+-RW, IBM 390E, IBM 701C Butterfly
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 10:38 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Interesting... I wish they could make a DVD Recorder/ LD Player combo
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 10:43 PM
#
H/PC Elite

lol, i don't even have a TV... i just don't watch it
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 10:46 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i dont have any home entertainment system, no tv for me either
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 10:55 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Ah, you all got me on a lucky day!

In addition to my month-old 8ms 1280x1024 Samsun SyncMaster 730b..

I just brought home today a nice Creative Inspire P5800, a 5.1 speaker system. NOW I can watch movies!

Total? About...$330?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 11:02 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

you said in another thread that your DSL isnt too good these days
 Top of the page
Snake Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 11:26 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

i dont have any home entertainment system, no tv for me either

Same for me. That's why I have so many playback formats - I have all that so I can watch movies (because I really don't go to the theaters anymore). I simply wait for my local rental place to put the previously viewed movies out on sale and I get them for a bit over $8 a piece for all the new releases - so why go to the theater?

Edited by Snake 2006-02-19 11:27 PM
 Top of the page
Snake Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 11:28 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

tenjeangosi - 2006-02-19 10:38 PM

Interesting... I wish they could make a DVD Recorder/ LD Player combo

Nah. I enjoy playing LD's when I can get my hands on them; there is something nice about handling a 12" disc. Makes you feel you are doing something "important" playing back this movie.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 12:13 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I like buying laserdiscs... So far, I have Predator, Mars Attacks, North By Northwest, and I just bought War of the Worlds today... It is hard to get used to changing a side... So far, I like DVD, and LD... I used to have a Betamax VCR until it broke and I am trying to get away from VHS tapes...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 12:22 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Am I some kinda freak here? My primary home entertainment systems are my H/PCs and my PCs. (And two stereo TVs [one with picture-in-picture] and a TV card in my desktop computer, all connected to two DirecTV receiver boxes - my mother and her husband are satellite TV dealers.)
 Top of the page
Snake Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 12:28 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

tenjeangosi - 2006-02-20 12:13 AM

I like buying laserdiscs... So far, I have Predator, Mars Attacks, North By Northwest, and I just bought War of the Worlds today... It is hard to get used to changing a side...

That's what you get for not getting an auto-flip LD player. My LV-510 is autoflip and combi with CD's having their own special drawer that comes out of the middle of the "normal" LD-sized drawer, which stays closed. Play a CD and only a CD-sized drawer appears, push a button to disengage the "CD Direct" mode and the LD full-sized drawer extends to play videos.

So far, I like DVD, and LD... I used to have a Betamax VCR until it broke and I am trying to get away from VHS tapes...

They do look very different in terms of output response, LD vs. DVD.

You really must have all three formats if you want to collect movies as the edits for one format is not the same for another. I have 3 different copies of one movie - DVD, LD and VHS - and each and every format has a complete different cut of the movie. It drives me crazy but there you go; when you're trying to find the "right" copy of your favorite flick you end up trying all of them.
 Top of the page
Snake Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 12:32 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

CE Geek - 2006-02-20 12:22 AM

Am I some kinda freak here?

Yes?

Who are we to argue?

My primary home entertainment systems are my H/PCs and my PCs. (And two stereo TVs [one with picture-in-picture] and a TV card in my desktop computer, all connected to two DirecTV receiver boxes - my mother and her husband are satellite TV dealers.)

Well, I hate TV. I stopped watching about 3 years ago and now, when I try, I swear my head will explode and my brain turn to oatmeal (porridge). How the hell do people watch this crap?? American TV is absolute junk!

If it wasn't for public broadcasting you could flush the entire American TV system and not miss a rotten thing. I have seen 2 episodes of CSI, for instance, and wonder why the producers simply don't replace the "actors" with wooden cutouts and pay less money for voice-overs.

They'd get the same emotional on-screen acting abilities.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 12:45 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Well, I guess I did get a good LD PLayer, although I am a bit mad I did not get one with S-Video outputs... I also do not like watching TV that much, because I just go ahead and buy the TV DVD Sets... Also, I do NOT buy ANY VHS tapes anymore... I try to get some new movies on DVD and I get LDs of movies I like but dont care enough to get on DVD (besides $5 per LD isnt bad)... I get my Laser discs at this innovative place called Bookmans when I am in Arizona... THey have all sorts of used stuff and a 7 Day Unconditional money back guarantee... One time, they wanted $100 for Sharp Mobilon...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 12:46 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Snake - 2006-02-19 9:32 PM

CE Geek - 2006-02-20 12:22 AM

Am I some kinda freak here?

Yes?

Who are we to argue?

I was askin' for that, wasn't I?

Well, I hate TV. I stopped watching about 3 years ago and now, when I try, I swear my head will explode and my brain turn to oatmeal (porridge). How the hell do people watch this crap?? American TV is absolute junk!

If it wasn't for public broadcasting you could flush the entire American TV system and not miss a rotten thing. I have seen 2 episodes of CSI, for instance, and wonder why the producers simply don't replace the "actors" with wooden cutouts and pay less money for voice-overs.

They'd get the same emotional on-screen acting abilities.

You got a point there. I must admit, I really don't watch that much TV, but when I do, I look at a lot of satellite channels. On network TV I almost never watch anything but "Law & Order" and "ER." But I also watch some really good movies on HBO (including some of their own documentaries), and I admit I'm a big fan of the World Poker Tour. (Oh, and I'm really disappointed that BBC America doesn't show as much of those old classic "Monty Python's Flying Circus" episodes. One of my Voice Recorder recordings is a clip from the old "Spam" sketch - appropriate for an Internet addict.)
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 10