x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

What makes up your Home entertainment System?

1 2 3
Snake Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 1:32 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

tenjeangosi - 2006-02-20 12:45 AM

Well, I guess I did get a good LD PLayer, although I am a bit mad I did not get one with S-Video outputs.

Don't be.

LD is an analog format that records in a version of a composite signal onto the disc. The S-Video (Y/C is the technical term) output of a Laserdisc player is created by a comb filter circuit to separate the luminance and chroma signals in order to feed them out the connector. The problem is that most of the unit's had poor comb filters, especially in comparison to what is currently available thanks to digital comb filtering.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laserdisc

Wiki actually got it right with this issue. My LV-510 has Y/C S-Vid output...and I'm not using it. I tried a comparison between the Y/C outputs and composite being fed into my Sony HDTV. The composite bet the pants off the Y/C (depressingly, as I had just bought a S-Vid cable for the Marantz to hook it up, but was not happy with the results). I ended up buying a good quality composite cable and removing the S-Vid cable and to this day I use composite as video out from the LD to the monitor. The results spoke for themselves.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 3:52 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Whatever happened to the smurfs?

Cmonex, I can download at 600kb/sec with http, it's just that SBC is messing with me again.

Oh, I forgot to mention the Lifeview TV Box that I use, it allows me to watch tv on my pc's monitor. A video capture card would be nicer, but at least with this I don't have to hear the fans. (Imagine what watching a dvd on my pc would be like if it wasn't a jet engine...)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 2:06 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

My home entertianment system comprises of this screen, this keyboard, this forum and you lot.
That's enough entertainment for one man!

Aside from that I think there is a TV somewhere, it's stuck on BBC News 24 if I remember correctly.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 4:23 PM
#
H/PC Elder

You forgot to mention the tv capture card!

Nice on the cheesyness, we must all feel warm and fuzzy inside. Or just plain offended.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 4:51 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Cheesy? Me? Never!

I have my popcorn to hand as I speak

Yes I have the TV Card, and I have a small TV (stuck on BBC News) behind me also. Everything comes through the computer and the surround sound speakers attached digitally there to it.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 9:41 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Interesting, Snake, fortunately I do have nice composite cables for my LD player... The first time I played an LD, I was very much surprised by the quality...
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 9:51 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

ProgramSynthesiser - 2006-02-20 3:23 PM

You forgot to mention the tv capture card!

Nice on the cheesyness, we must all feel warm and fuzzy inside. Or just plain offended.
What size monitor do you have?
 Top of the page
Snake Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 10:26 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

tenjeangosi - 2006-02-20 9:41 PM

Interesting, Snake, fortunately I do have nice composite cables for my LD player... The first time I played an LD, I was very much surprised by the quality...

I do have to admit that on my 42" projection DVD does look better, especially my favorite movie of all (OK, OK, I'll spill - the movie is Star Trek:The Motion Picture). The "Enterprise in Spacedock" scene on DVD brings tears to your eyes, it's so beautiful. The LD doesn't have the same D-Min and space isn't as dark, as "black" - the S/N ratio is higher no matter what I do. Ah well.

But the LD of the movie has a completely different edit than the DVD, which has yet a third edit on the VHS. Ahhhhh!! Why can't they stop fooling about with the edit on this thing! So you've got to have all three, otherwise you've got nothing, do you?

I just finished, a few minutes ago, watching all the new Who's as I did a second burn of them for storage and needed to test them. I gave my first set of discs away for others, who asked, to enjoy (college kids). Now that I've mentioned "ST:TMP" that will have to be the very next thing I play.

It's a different thread but Ep. 13 of the new Dr. Who simply takes my breath away, every time I watch it - and I've watched it 5 times already. What a performance! This episode has to be one of the very best sci-fi episodes made in the last few years. It's absolutely stunning. And I get a choice of which widescreen to view it on.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-02-21 4:59 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Snake - 2006-02-20 7:26 PM
I do have to admit that on my 42" projection DVD does look better, especially my favorite movie of all (OK, OK, I'll spill - the movie is Star Trek:The Motion Picture). The "Enterprise in Spacedock" scene on DVD brings tears to your eyes, it's so beautiful.

I like that picture too, even though the critics weren't very impressed. (Course, the fact that it reminds me of a whirlwind romance that I once had does help my attitude about the movie.)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-21 3:46 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

My screen of PS's?

If me. 21" Trinitron (needed for graphics work, I find LCD doesn't quite give the same results) and some smaller LCD's on the periphery. The little TV is a 14" Trinitron.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-02-22 1:10 AM
#
H/PC Elder

My LCD does!

17"
 Top of the page
Snake Page Icon Posted 2006-02-22 1:17 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

C:Amie - 2006-02-21 3:46 PM
If me. 21" Trinitron (needed for graphics work, I find LCD doesn't quite give the same results) and some smaller LCD's on the periphery.

Regretfully, LCD just doesn't. They compress the grey scale, especially at the dark end.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-22 7:40 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Your LCD is 24-bit PS. At the end of the day that's a stop error.
 Top of the page
Snake Page Icon Posted 2006-02-22 10:30 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

C:Amie - 2006-02-22 7:40 AM

Your LCD is 24-bit PS. At the end of the day that's a stop error.

I must admit - that comment has completely gone over my head.

Can you explain?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-22 11:33 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Basically I don't find the colour depth support on LCD's to be as capable as they are on CRT's. There is too much varience between the 24-bit colour output on the LCD and CRT when compared to side to side. The results on the CRT are more realistic.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9