x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Any Thoughts about the Sharp Mobilon 4100?

1 2
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 11:06 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I'm wondering if I can buy the Mobilon 4100 and stay married at the same time. But I'm posting for advice only about the former.

I know Monica likes the 4100's keyboard, but preliminary research tells me that the hinge can be problematic--though not definitively faulty. I know CE 2.0 well enough, but about the Mobilon 4100 itself, I would welcome all thoughts, positive or negative.

Jake
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 11:18 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

The Mobilon line is good, I don't have a 4100 but I do have the 4600 and it is nice. But what I really want is a Mobilon Tripad PV6000, they are really cool. and you don't have to worry about the hinge problem.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 11:25 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Thanks for the tip. Would you consider the hinge problem enough to stop you from buying a 4100?

Jake
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 11:45 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

You can stretch a rubber band from one hinge to the other. It causes enough tension between the screen and the body to prevent the screen from flopping around. I had the same issue with my J680. Not the best idea though, but cheap.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 1:18 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Ah. Hadn't thought of that. Actually, I was wanting to know in general, if the Mobilon's hinge should scare off potenial buyers.

Jake
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 1:48 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

hahaha,

This spring, prepare yourself for the ultimate...

... the deadly

... and the down right dastedly.

A one time televisual event.

Jake vs Mrs. Jake. The BIG fight!

Who can win the glory of the trophy of Mobilon?

Find out this Spring only on HPC:Factor
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 2:04 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

My secret plan, Chris--and don't tell anybody--is to find local 4100 sellers. Then instead of money, I'll negotiate with my labor. Be a governess to their children or their poolboy (I can skim a pool with the best of them).

That way, no paper trail. And if there is one, I'll skim it.

Of course this probably breaks a variety of ebay rules.

Jake
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 3:01 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You have to be careful with offering yourself as a physical presence... ... ... it's open to... ... ... exploitation.
Good solution though.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 3:30 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

If you are picky with your stuff don't buy one b/c chances are you will have a problem and not like it. If not, yeah buy one.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 3:44 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

LOL

anyway. i cant imagine what problem the hinge could have! much much better constructed than the velo 1 hinge. ... i'm fairly sure my velo will break soon it can hardly hold itself for a moment when i open it up. after that it is ok though. but i'm afraid it will get worse. it did get worse over time. (not my fault .. someone wasn't careful enough with opening it. .. so annoying!)
i don't think the 4100 would break, and the keyboard is indeed very nice. but it does have a typical fault: the touchscreen ... mine already has it to some extent (got it that way.. well don't complain about gifts ).
i still recommend it, it is cheap and best keyboard among the old hpc's. except maybe the NEC MP700 but that's pricey even now, and hard to find (i just won one on ebay!!! )
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 3:59 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Many thanks, gang, for your tips.

Monica, your comments remind me of another vague malady affecting the 4100. In other archived forums, I've heard that the on-off button sometimes needed repeated pressing. Is that true with yours?

And could you be a little specific about the touchscreen problem?

Jake
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 4:10 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

no, never had any problems with the on / off. actually there's a separate on and an off button. you sure you're not confusing the 4100 for some other hpc?

touchscreen: well it just dies. mine still has a working touch screen but the middle of it is no longer responsive imagine how i can do the calibrating! i have to trick the sharp into it, not always easy
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 4:18 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

No, I remember some ebay disclaimer about a 4100, saying that you had to "jiggle the handle" to get the machine to come on. And other users have complained about having to hit the On button several times.

Is that touch screen failure typical, do you think--like a Psion 5mx screen cable

Jake
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 6:50 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

yes as i said i think it is a typical failure with the touch screen but not as bad as with the 5mx!
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 10:44 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Okay, I think you folks are successfully talking me out of this. You may have added many happy years to my marriage

Jake
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 11