x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

RSS Reader... anyone interested?

1 2 3
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-21 11:00 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

abyssknight,

It's been discussed by the owners before. Start a new thread on the idea and we'll discuss there.
 Top of the page
Jorkapp Page Icon Posted 2006-02-22 4:25 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Progress update:

Progress is slow but steady. Mostly just slogging through some string handling routines. I expect I'll have the program functional, less the HTTP request parts, by this time next week.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-22 6:06 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Kudos!

As soon as you would like some beta testing, count me well and truely in!
I wish I could be of more assistance.
 Top of the page
Jorkapp Page Icon Posted 2006-02-23 11:48 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Status report for today:

Still making progress. Thusfar, it is still meeting the lightweight goal - the MIPS executable is only 9kb!

Here's a screenshot of what I have so far. Of the 5 buttons, only 2 are still non-functional - Save List and Check Feeds. It may not seem like much, but there's a lot of work done under-the-hood you can't see here.

Top of the page
Cyberstorm Page Icon Posted 2006-02-23 12:01 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Sweet, let me know if you need a beta tester for this. I have an MP 780 (790 rom) so a mips 2000 machine to test with. And for some reason I keep checking eBay for a J720, why, I don't know - just feel like I should get one! If I do, I can test with that too (someone talk me out of the J720!). Keep at it Jorkapp!
 Top of the page
Jorkapp Page Icon Posted 2006-02-23 12:28 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Regarding beta testing:

Anyone who wishes to beta test is more than welcome to, once I get this completed to a level which is acceptable for beta release. Beta builds will be for H/PC Pro, on MIPS, ARM, and SH3/4.

Regarding open-source:

Noone mentioned it, but I am considering going open-source once I roll out the final release. I figure this would be to the advantage to the community, as it would allow porting to CE2 and CE3, since I can only work with CE2.1x.
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2006-02-23 12:51 PM
#
Sweet! Derivative works are bound to make your app last longer as well.
 Top of the page
Jorkapp Page Icon Posted 2006-02-24 4:56 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Status update:

I am still progressing. Currently, I am fiddling with the registry as persistent storage for settings (Proxy info, feed URL's, etc). Once that is complete, aside from a few minor tweaks here or there, it's time to move on to HTTP requests and XML translation.

Unfortunately, development is being put on pause for the weekend, due to the fact I am out of town. I'll be resuming development Sunday night or Monday morning, and I'll try to get another status report in for Tuesday.
 Top of the page
Cyberstorm Page Icon Posted 2006-02-24 5:42 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Very nice. Keep it up! One question - will it be possible to store the actual feeds (and install the app itself) on a CF card instead of main memory? I'm guessing yes, but wanted to find out for sure.
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-02-24 6:34 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I greatly prefer applications that keep all their settings in their own directory rather than the windows registry. It makes it much easier to get back up and running if you have a hard-reset, or if you share a card between multiple HPCs (I keep all my apps on a CF card and swap it back and forth between my J720 and Netbook Pro).
 Top of the page
Jorkapp Page Icon Posted 2006-02-26 7:18 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Cyberstorm: As far as I know, yes. I have no storage cards in my H/PC, so I can't test it. Then again, that's what beta testing is for!

Rocketman: I've found working with the windows registry a whole pile easier than working with files and parsing them. Right now the reader is very minimalistic, and there are only 3 things saved in the registry:

* Output path for translated feeds
* Proxy information
* Feed URL's

For now, I will note file backup for a later release. As it stands right now, beta versions and the first release candidates will only use windows registry.
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2006-02-27 4:12 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Have to agree, the mechanism for working with the registry is very, very simple. Exporting registry keys is possible using TRE or another tool...

I assume you're saving settings in HKLM/Software/ ? If so, just publish where you're saving settings and people can do what they want from there.
 Top of the page
Jorkapp Page Icon Posted 2006-02-28 10:46 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Yet another progress update:

The Core of the application itself is more or less complete. Now for the fun part - HTTP. Wish me luck.
 Top of the page
Jorkapp Page Icon Posted 2006-03-06 10:06 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

It's been a long week, but I do have some progress to report.

The HTTP is taking shape. As well, the HTTP requests work both through direct internet connections and Proxy servers. Once I get a workable beta, I'll post it here.
 Top of the page
Jorkapp Page Icon Posted 2006-03-09 7:34 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Yet another status report:

Everything but the XML parser is done. The UI, HTTP, and everything else are in place and rock-solid.

Just a few notes here:
* a la tsdave's VB RSS reader, my reader will parse rssfeeds.txt on load, and will rewrite it on request. Feeds in the list are CRLF seperated.
* For now, it downloads all XML feeds to one large cache file, xmlcache.txt. What's left to do is parse that file, then delete it to save space.
* My reader is still quite light-weight. Sans XML parser, the MIPS exe is 12.5kb, and I expect will not exceed 15kb.
* Open source? Of course!
* Right now, it's still quite speedy. This will probably change once I get the XML parser in place.

Beta testing will probably start within the month. Beta builds will be for H/PC Pro and built for MIPS, ARM, and SH3/4.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 2.000 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 12