x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HPC Developer Group?

1 2 3
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2006-02-22 6:16 PM
#
I just posted my first eVB program in this forum. I will take a look at eVC but my major hurdle is understanding the window messaging system, as well as all that code!
 Top of the page
ShadowMaster Page Icon Posted 2006-02-22 9:08 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

go at your own pace, at least you've done a wonderful job with your first utility
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-22 9:27 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

ShadowMaster - 2006-02-22 8:54 PM

The first thing to understand ...

I hope that clarifies some basic stuff.......

WOW... please more of this stuff! it was very well explained... and i'm interested...

Jorkapp - 2006-02-22 5:30 PM

Since I have the RSS Reader project currently going, I'll give a briefing of what I had going into it, and what I have now.

would be real cool

then i can start writing an IRC client hehehe.
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2006-02-22 10:31 PM
#
I've been using Dexxta's Splatter, and I have to say its awesome. Splatter is one app that I think is a must have for HPC/Pro, and it was debuted here.

Edit:

That does it we have the following projects going on...

Cyberstorm's Amortization Chart
Jorkapp's RSS Reader
ShadowMaster's OKey
ShadowMaster's WinWatch
ShadowMaster's HPC Joystick Project
AbyssKnight's Silly Program for Converting Numbers

Forgive me if I missed anyone's project, I'm going off the last 20 posts!

Edited by abyssknight 2006-02-22 11:06 PM
 Top of the page
ShadowMaster Page Icon Posted 2006-02-22 11:04 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

well... As for messages goes, Windows define a default message handler for controls... You DON'T need to parse EVERY SINGLE message you get. The rule is simply.. if you are concerned about the event you are being informed then parse the message, otherwise just pass the message to the default message handler. By example, when the content of a text box is changed, your app get a notification message. Sometimes you'll need to check if the user wrote something valid but most of times you might not care about this so you just let the message go through the default message handler.

Is also important to understand that most (all?) interaction is done via messages.... if you want to add a single item to a listbox just send the LB_ADDSTRING Message TO THE LISTBOX ITSELF (Every control is like a Window, you can actually send message to the controls too, and also get a handler as you do with any window or dialog (actually winwatch get a handle to every control in a window to calculate the most adequate size to fit them all )
BTW, Can you guess what the messages that start with LB_ are for??? For ListBoxes lol

You WILL require to look at the SDK documentation very frequently unless you memorize every message and the parameters they receive... eVC help files are quite complete (there are some things missing but nothing that google can't find)

You'll send messages for adding things to a listbox, changing the text of a label or a button, putting a check mark to a CheckBox, set the current selection in a combobox, retrieve the text written by the user in a edit field, almost everything is done via messages so you MUST assimilate the concept very well....

[EDIT] These are just some simple explanations of things that are very important to understand in order to develop a windows application in C/C++
It's not a tutorial.. nor a manual, nor even a guide for programming...

Edited by ShadowMaster 2006-02-22 11:13 PM
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2006-02-23 5:09 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I couldn't have put it better - a good explanation of how any message (or event) based system works. Grasp those basics and you're well on the way. If you know VB, then VB takes care of setting up the message loop and all that guff, but the concepts are the same: you code for the events that you're interested in, and you leave everything else as default.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 9