x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

just bought a J720 for the 2nd time on eBay

enrigonz
enrigonz Page Icon Posted 2006-02-21 11:32 PM
#
I should get my J720 by Thursday the 23rd. I paid $198 (including shipping & insurance), dock, stylus, power adapter, wifi card, HP case and Tweaks 2000 installed, the unit seems to be in excellent condition from the pictures. I realized there's all kinds of prices between $100-$300 on these units and it mainly depends on the condition of the unit.

I bought one of these about 2 years ago for work and dumped it for a laptop which I no longer use either, the reason I bought it is to be able to use a couple of different dictionaries (one of them is Spanish to Spanish) and perhaps some other books I bought on Mobipocket. The keyboard is a big plus for me, the screen size and a few other features still attracted me to this unit and that's why I went ahead and bought it again for the second time.

I would like to get the most out of this excellent HPC so I would love it if you more experience guys/gals direct me to other sites or help me make the most out of having a J720 by telling me what it is you use yours for, what experiences have you had with it, what you're recommendations are for making it work for me.

Any thoughts would be really appreciated.

Edited by enrigonz 2006-02-21 11:32 PM
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-02-22 4:05 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I'm curioius - what happened to your 1st J720 2 years ago?

About the Jornada... I wouldn't direct you to any other site for support; this one is your best bet But if you are looking for 3rd party software, definitely visit Handheld Attitude. Personally I am not a business user; I only used the Jornada (and my other HPCs) very casually. It is mainly for PIM and Hotspots.

However, after getting an HPC, I have a new habit of writing whenever I have free time. This is what HPCs let you do that no other device would. The combination of instant-on and touch-typeable keyboard is required for casual writing (electronically). If you find yourself waiting in a room, with maybe 5 or 10 minutes to burn, would you try to type up a story or editorial or even a simple blog entry? Especially if you have to boot up your laptop or peck at your PDA? I would because I have an HPC ready as fast as I can take it out of the bag.

I am not sure what you are planning to use the Jornada for, but whatever it is, just throw a question, start a new thread, etc. And I'm sure everyone here will try to help you make it happen
 Top of the page
enrigonz
enrigonz Page Icon Posted 2006-02-22 9:12 AM
#
Yeah, my first one 2 years ago went on eBay. This time I think I need it more than I did then.

One of the things I would like to hear from you users out there, wether is a J720 or MP900 is what exactly are you using it for?

What kind of productivity or games or whatever are you doing with it?

These answers will help not only me but everyone else out there that's using a HPC.

I will be using it for 2 different dictionaries and for tracking a couple of different activities (such as my gym work out) in a spreadsheet program and perhaps a little wireless web and email checking activity when I'm sitting around the house or anywhere I have wireless access.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-22 3:45 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

J728.. : half of my activities require the keyboard: IM, irc, forums, writing. + a little email. other half is ebook / website reading / studying the university pdf's
+ very casual dictionary / map software / etc etc usage.
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2006-02-22 4:59 PM
#
It's all about the GAMES, baby. Just type in "Jornada 720 games" on Google. Good stuff.

Also, get Tilanosoft's Notepad. It's free, and when you install it, it goes right into the Accesories folder on your start menu. You'll never even notice it wasn't from Microsoft.

Also, one thing I found that was pretty cool was Illum Software's GameBag one. It's free, and although it was designed for older machines, the games still work. Check it out:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/downloads/ilium/gamebag-one/

Hope this helps!
 Top of the page
enrigonz
enrigonz Page Icon Posted 2006-02-24 6:44 PM
#
Well I finally got this thing and it looks and works great. There's one particular program I'm not able to install for this model and that is, Dockware. I'm able start the installation but halfway there it tells me my device (J720) is not compatible with this program, can anyone point me to a version that works, perhaps and older version?
 Top of the page
enrigonz
enrigonz Page Icon Posted 2006-02-25 3:28 PM
#
Never mind. Found Dockware 1.0 and it works great. I'll be looking for other great stuff. Thank you all for the replies.

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-25 6:29 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Did you download the dockware 2.0 from this site? Works fine on my device - we're licensed to redistribute the entire Ilium software catalogue.

You might be intrested in the poll results published on the FP.
 Top of the page
enrigonz
enrigonz Page Icon Posted 2006-02-25 9:59 PM
#
No, I downloaded it from their main website but everytime I try installing version 2.0 I get an error telling me the program is not made for this device. I'll try downloading it from this site and see what happens.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 13