x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

What should I get for MP800?

1 2
northerndm Page Icon Posted 2006-02-22 2:19 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Ok, I bought one of Rich's MP800 and I'm looking at getting some attachements for it. I also got the battery and adapter as well.

What I will be mainly using it for is writing (term papers and the like) and maybe a little surfing (very minor, more like emails).

I have Textmaker which I will be putting on for my word processing. I will also be getting a CF memory card but what else is recommeded in terms of programs and attachements?

Oh and by the way Rich, I think God must like the MobilePro. I had a MP780 last fall but sold it (long story but wife didn't appreciate all my tech toys and you know the rest ). However, I'm planning to return to university to finish off my degree and need access to a word processor. Wife is doing course work and children need access to computer as well so it's quite busy. Thinking about this dilemna (and wife not letting me buy a laptop), I thought about going back to the MobilePro. Lo and behold, I check out EBay and what do I find!!! Timing or what. Enough rambling but I'm glad to be back.

Tony (would love the 900 but likes having sex on a regular basis)
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2006-02-22 2:41 PM
#
I just got one of these from Rich and so far I haven't had to buy anything. I had a wifi card (CF w/ PCMCIA adapter) and a CF card, as well as a USB mouse (works!). The only things I have needed so far are a serial and VGA cable.

I need to come up with a reason to use the MP. Right now its just a glorified toy...
 Top of the page
northerndm Page Icon Posted 2006-02-22 3:11 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

What brand of mouse do you have?
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2006-02-22 3:12 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

northerndm - 2006-02-22 7:19 PM

Ok, I bought one of Rich's MP800 and I'm looking at getting some attachements for it. I also got the battery and adapter as well.

What I will be mainly using it for is writing (term papers and the like) and maybe a little surfing (very minor, more like emails).

I have Textmaker which I will be putting on for my word processing. I will also be getting a CF memory card but what else is recommeded in terms of programs and attachements?

Oh and by the way Rich, I think God must like the MobilePro. I had a MP780 last fall but sold it (long story but wife didn't appreciate all my tech toys and you know the rest ). However, I'm planning to return to university to finish off my degree and need access to a word processor. Wife is doing course work and children need access to computer as well so it's quite busy. Thinking about this dilemna (and wife not letting me buy a laptop), I thought about going back to the MobilePro. Lo and behold, I check out EBay and what do I find!!! Timing or what. Enough rambling but I'm glad to be back.

A bag/folder for it (protection), a compact flash card or USB stick (use the clik drivers), sync cable (unless you can do without, you could just sync your PC while the kids play a game! ), headphones (if you want to listen to music, I'll recommend the ones that come with the Motorola V980 phone, they work great, esp in stereo) and a Wifi card. But software wise, I just stick to MS's stuff and find addons if and when needed.

Oh, don't forget the VGA lead if you need to present onto a projector and if you really do need it, a parallel cable to hook upto a parallel printer, I don't have one yet though, because my network printer is good enough. Not sure if you can do USB printing yet.
/me needs a parallel cable for Jordon and Jodie.

Tony (would love the 900 but likes having sex on a regular basis)

And there is a 20-year-old-single-ginger-male-virgin writing this post!
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2006-02-22 3:15 PM
#
@northerndm: It's a Belkin USB optical mouse. No drivers, just works. Scroll wheel is the only thing that doesn't work. Any standard HID mouse should work.

@Wessex: Did you have to modify those headphones like for the 790? I'm interested in getting MP3 onto my HPC.
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2006-02-22 3:32 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Nope, plug and play! Ok, ok, not true stereo, but just as good.
They came with the Motorola V980 mobile, my sister has an identical phone, but I nabbed these off a friend when I first got my 780. He charged me 10 for them!

Never mind! Anyway, they are available as a spare part from Motorola. Shame you aren't in the UK, as I would of said "Go into "Phones 4U", ask for some orignal Motorola V980 stereo earphones and pray they turn up with the right ones!".
Alternitively, I may find some for you, but I would suggest looking around, I can be sure they make them somewhere near you.

Oh, when you get your pair, add some ear buds, they are pretty much unconfortable without them! (ouch!) 15minutes listening to MP3 on an Volvo B7LE/Alexander ALX200 bus, and my word, they are unconfortable after I get off at "South Downs College"! Atleast they don't stay in my ears after I got off the bus for saftey, unlike some of my fellow students, who might get run over in the carparks!

EDIT!
Looking for the earphones themselves have proved a tricky part. Motorola doesn't appear to list the phone, Vodaphone doesn't have the right ones and phones4u don't stock the audio accessories, I'll have to dig further.
The partnumber I think (or alteast is listed on the bag that appears the right size) is SYN7455A I think. It maybe a serial number.

Edited by Wessex_nut 2006-02-22 3:50 PM
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2006-02-22 3:38 PM
#
Looked it up, not sure about the reliability but...

http://www.shop.com/op/~MM10_Mobile_Stereo_Earbud_Headphones_for_Motorola_Phones-prod-27017869-35801492?sourceid=298

Sounds like its a 4-pole, 2.5 mm mini jack.
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2006-02-22 3:56 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

abyssknight - 2006-02-22 8:38 PM

Looked it up, not sure about the reliability but...

http://www.shop.com/op/~MM10_Mobile_Stereo_Earbud_Headphones_for_Motorola_Phones-prod-27017869-35801492?sourceid=298

Sounds like its a 4-pole, 2.5 mm mini jack.

Those are simliar, they should work. They aren't the ones I have however (The motorola ones seem to be hard to find or listed as another P/N).
It is a 4 pole(?) jack, but I think the moto ones default to mono on both if stereo can't be found. I replied to a thread about it 9 months ago, one of my very first posts, when I did my own research, then I stumbled across that pair. Actually, the quality is very good, despite the absence of bass and treble controls.

As mentioned though, GET SOME PADS!

Edit - Look what I found! - http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1354&start=1

Edited by Wessex_nut 2006-02-22 4:01 PM
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2006-02-22 5:08 PM
#
Anyone know anything about screen protectors for these as well?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-22 6:23 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

(would love the 900 but likes having sex on a regular basis)

Hahahahahaha, I'm going to be laughing at that all night now!

Welcome back to the H/PC and welcome to the site.

Depending on how spec'd up your Uni is, a Wireless LAN adapter could be of some use. Come a time when you need to get a file off of the device quickly, and email over WiFi is an option, it could be a cheap way of saving your life - could also help pass the time... but I'm not for a moment suggesting that you're going to Uni to "live it up like a student" and brows the net 23.5 hours a day. (honest )

Another very cheap 'thing' that may be worth considering - again for a "what if" scenario, a CF > PCMCIA adapter. IF you should ever need to get a file off the device and a laptop is available, then you have youself an answer - for a couple of ... er.. $ in your case.

Also on the same track, if you have a cell phone with an IR port, there is a very good chance that you can use our free IrDA modem driver to connect to the net through that.

Some sort of carry case, keyboard and screen protector is always useful to protect your investment.

Application wise, it really depends on what you are interested in, and interested in doing. There are some good reviews here on the site, and also in the H/PC Newsletter. Rich's site HPCNEC also has some good application suggestions, as does Handheld Attitude - links on the front page of this site.
I say this so often, but I'm still enjoying TCPMP and DVDCatalyst (PocketDVD) for watching video's. I put some TV on a CF and caught up during lunch today - terrific!
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2006-02-23 9:54 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

C:Amie - 2006-02-22 11:23 PM

(would love the 900 but likes having sex on a regular basis)

Hahahahahaha, I'm going to be laughing at that all night now!

Welcome back to the H/PC and welcome to the site.

Its almost every mans dream!

Depending on how spec'd up your Uni is, a Wireless LAN adapter could be of some use. Come a time when you need to get a file off of the device quickly, and email over WiFi is an option, it could be a cheap way of saving your life - could also help pass the time... but I'm not for a moment suggesting that you're going to Uni to "live it up like a student" and brows the net 23.5 hours a day. (honest )

Umm, yeah, that is if the Uni WiFi network WORKS, I know the SDC wi-net doesn't!

Another very cheap 'thing' that may be worth considering - again for a "what if" scenario, a CF > PCMCIA adapter. IF you should ever need to get a file off the device and a laptop is available, then you have youself an answer - for a couple of ... er.. $ in your case.

From my perspective, if you have an 800, this isn't exactly true. It also depends on the age of the laptop, but anything sub 266mhz/Win98, you aren't likely to find these days, I'd say it is quicker and cheaper to go for a USB stick. You can then connect to any PC you like, not forgetting that the MP8xx/9xx has a USB port and the drivers can be provided from C:Amies site!
Anyway, if you prefer the CF solution, find a CF card reader.

Also on the same track, if you have a cell phone with an IR port, there is a very good chance that you can use our free IrDA modem driver to connect to the net through that.

Another thing you could live without, unless you are glued to the net like me!
Seriously, if you want to view the photos from phones on the big screen, IR is the best way to do it, unless your buddies don't have an IR port!

Some sort of carry case, keyboard and screen protector is always useful to protect your investment.

Indeed, but unless you spend 30-50 on a portable keyboard, they are of little use anyway, I don't want to have a tiny unit, a honking great big sketchbook sticking out of my bag and a another great big honking keyboard sticking out FURTHER than the sketchbook!
Only to then say "Oh b*gg*r - I (unrepeatable word) up my bag!" and then damaging the MP.
On the other hand, touch typable ultra thin wireless keyboard and mouse... any offers?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-02-23 10:48 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Buy a USB pen drive to transfer files with. I just downloaded the Clik drivers and installed them on my 800...it works great. Now I can use USB drives on this thing...what a deal!

Rich
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-02-24 1:05 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

At least some portable hard drives work too. I pulled the hard drive out of my old notebook computer and put it in an enclosure, and when I connected it to the MP800's USB port, it showed everything stored in that drive. I played some MP3s off it and even ran a few CE 2.11 apps stored in the hard drive.
 Top of the page
P.E.I. Page Icon Posted 2006-02-24 8:13 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

This sure looks like the sync cable for MP800 for 29.00US www.alancomputech.com/s1424-12s.html
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2006-02-24 8:27 AM
#
What are the Clik drivers? I'd like to use a drive or two with my 800.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 10