x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

jjaff90 Page Icon Posted 2006-02-23 10:04 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

I've performed a soft reset. Still no luck. Someone help me! I'm dyin' here
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2006-02-23 10:29 PM
#
I would recommend installing vxUtil so that we can find out how far its getting. You might not be getting an IP from the router.

I just set up my new MP800, and I actually had to set it up a good 10 times then resulted to no WEP, then WEP again and it worked.

Strange, I know but I used vxUtil to diagnose the issue, so I'd say start there!

Also, no you cannot get firefox (yet! minimo really needs to get ported...), but Netfront is a very good alternative to Pocket IE if you have HPC2000. Also, yes you can install AIM but you will need the old Windows CE version, or a jabber client.

Edited by abyssknight 2006-02-23 10:31 PM
 Top of the page
jjaff90 Page Icon Posted 2006-02-23 10:36 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

I installed vxutil, now what do I do?

Also, where can I get a "jabber client" for AIM?

As you can tell, I am dumb with these things, so act like you are explaining it to a caveman :-)
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-23 10:55 PM
#
H/PC Elder

What IE error message do you get?
Can you download and install the arm hpc version of vxutil? It's the best diagnostic tool going

Once those two things are done we;ll try again..
 Top of the page
Snake Page Icon Posted 2006-02-23 11:25 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

OK, let's slow down here a bit and talk.

I see you are using the Westell VersaLink 327W. I have it - I hate it. A piece of utter garbage, I replaced it's router functionality with a D-Link DI-624 and bridged the 327W to act strictly as a modem.

Anyway, let us talk about the 327W:

a) is this the only device you have that will be wireless? That is, is there a wireless "network" already active, with clients and the 327W serving these clients, or is this the very first time the wireless functionality will be used?

b) Turn ON the SSID broadcast of the 327W. I discovered not all routers like talking to WiFi PDA's when their SSID is set to "Hidden"

c) Turn OFF WEP, until you can get a confirmed link

d) Turn OFF MAC filtering to allow the HP 720 w/WiFi card to acquire a DHCP IP address

e) Make sure you have enough IP addresses configured in the router to allow the DHCP service to give out an IP to the HP. That is, if you have the 327W set to limit DHCP-served IP's to 2 or 3 devices, or however many devices you actually have, you must increase this to have free addresses.

This can be found in the 327W's setup page: CONFIGURATION / ADVANCED LAN / DHCP

Subtract the last number of the START ADDRESS from the last number of the END ADDRESS to get total number of addresses free to be assigned.

f) You must set the 327W wireless MODE setting to allow 802.11b traffic. The Orinoco wireless card that is compatible with WinCE is a .11b unit and if you have the Westell VersaLink 327W set to deny .11b communications, only allowing .11g, you will not get a link

Set the VersaLink to MIXED or 11b ONLY

g) Check the router's wireless station status report to see if the 327W has acknowledged a link with the HP. You will find this in TROUBLESHOOTING / STATUS / WIRELESS STATIONS

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, now that we have gone over router we will check the HP / Orinoco configuration

(to be continued...)
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2006-02-23 11:51 PM
#
Hey guys, I'm back! So about the-

Oh. Right. I was eating dinner. That's why I was gone so... long... yes...

Anyway, just a question, don't you have to type in your IP in the browser to configure the router settings? Or was that only with Linksys? Just a thought...
 Top of the page
Snake Page Icon Posted 2006-02-24 12:16 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I am going a bit on a limb as I do not have a HPC2000 unit, so if I make errors in where things are I apologize in advance.

We will all assume that the 720 has the correct drivers installed for the Orinoco as you purchased them together. If you are unsure uninstall the Orinoco drivers from the 720 and download the proper drivers from the HPC:Factor HCL page and install them. You will need v4.06 drivers for WinCE 2000. Please scoll down to the Lucent area and click the dark green bar below the PC24E-H-FC listing.

Now on to things

a) The 720's OS network configuration must be correct.

Click START - SETTINGS - COMMUNICATIONS - NETWORK. Select the Orinoco and make sure that automatic IP and DNS services are selected. In the WINS server entry you must enter in the IP address of the desktop you wish to ActiveSync to in order for ActiveSync to work via the network.

b) The Orinoco's configuration must be correct.

You have 2 choices now of how to set the SSID. You can set the SSID of the Orinoco to automatic by entering ANY (all caps!) in the field, or you can set the exact SSID of your wireless network (recommended).

Turn off WEP (encryption)

Hit OK to close the network control panel. If the card is inserted eject the card fully, wait 5 seconds, then reinsert the card for any changes made to be acknowledged.

Hopefully you will have WiFi now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you wish to turn on WEP (only, not WPA) what key length you can use is directly related to what WiFi card you have. The PC24E-H-FC came in 2 flavors, "Silver" and "Gold". The "Silver" only takes a 40 bit WEP key, the "Gold" can take either a 40 bit or a 128 bit key. You set this in the router's Wireless configuration.
 Top of the page
Snake Page Icon Posted 2006-02-24 12:18 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

CardBoardCrusader - 2006-02-23 11:51 PM

Hey guys, I'm back! So about the-

Oh. Right. I was eating dinner. That's why I was gone so... long... yes...

Anyway, just a question, don't you have to type in your IP in the browser to configure the router settings? Or was that only with Linksys? Just a thought...

Yes, that's correct. What you are doing is accessing the router's built-in web server, and that web server holds the configuration pages. Access the router like a web site - enter in the IP number in the browser - to call up the configuration pages.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-02-24 1:01 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Snake - 2006-02-23 8:25 PM
I see you are using the Westell VersaLink 327W. I have it - I hate it.

That's what I have too. I get by with it, but I agree it's far from the greatest. I occasionally get this problem too, and have to reset the router (off, then on) to reestablish a connection.
 Top of the page
jjaff90 Page Icon Posted 2006-02-24 5:44 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Well cardboardcruiser gave me the driver for the wifi card and it says signal strength excellent. however, when i click internet explorer it says a connection to the server was unable to be established. i talked to someone else and they suggested i turn my wep key off so i'll do that today and let you guys know how it goes.

should i just perform a hard reset and then reinstall the driver? i have no important data on it.
 Top of the page
jjaff90 Page Icon Posted 2006-02-24 6:03 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Snake I did all that crap with my router, just a couple ?s. How do I broadcast my ssid? Also, it shows 2 devices are being used on the network but is one of them the desktop that the router is attached to? I have a laptop currently accessing the network. And if the desktop counts, do I just change the DHCP IP's to a larger number?
 Top of the page
jjaff90 Page Icon Posted 2006-02-24 8:42 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Guys I finally got on!!!!!! In fact I am typing on myJ720 right now!! Thank you for all of your help. I did a hard reset and reinstalled the driver and it worked. Thank you so much again. I do have a few questions so I will start a couple of other threads. Thanks!
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 10