x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

jjaff90 Page Icon Posted 2006-02-23 5:10 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hi guys, I need some basic help with my newly purchased J720. How do you connect to a wireless network? thanks
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2006-02-23 7:10 PM
#
Well, for starters, you need a wireless card. If you look on eBay, you can probably find one for cheap. Remember, if it is a PCMCIA card, it needs to be 16-bit. That's the only kind that the Jornadas take. Be sure to check the hardware compatibility list to see what brands of cards work with the J720.

-Roric Savior
 Top of the page
jjaff90 Page Icon Posted 2006-02-23 7:33 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

I have a J720 and a wireless card already. I know it works because I bought both as a package on eBay. But I have no idea how to set up the connection to my wireless network. Help!
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2006-02-23 8:13 PM
#
Well, what brand of wireless card do you have? Do you have the drivers installed? And the monitor utility? If so, then cool.

What I always do, is to turn off all of the security settings on my router. You can usually do this by typing your IP address into the address bar of your browser, on a computer that is connected to the router. That will bring up the "control panel" for your router. Look for a security setting, and turn all of them off. Secondly, it is good to know the EXACT SSID(name) of your wireless network(ex. "linksys". A lot of WinCE WLAN config utilities do not have a site survey tool. Make sure you type it in exactly. Also, on your router settings, make sure it is set to work with Wireless-B. Try to look for a setting for Wireless-B, or Wireless-B and G. Not Wireless G only.

-Roric Savior
 Top of the page
jjaff90 Page Icon Posted 2006-02-23 8:25 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

I did all of that but I need step by step directions to connect to the network with the 720. I am not technologically savy so I literally need step by step instructions.
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2006-02-23 8:28 PM
#
Ok, first of all what brand of card is it? Can you give me a model number?
 Top of the page
jjaff90 Page Icon Posted 2006-02-23 8:33 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

It is from Lucent Technologies. It is called Orinoco. The model number (I think) is PC24E-FC
 Top of the page
jjaff90 Page Icon Posted 2006-02-23 8:45 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

By the way, I don't know if you have a J720, but could you give me instructions like (ex: start>programs) etc.? My J720 is in dire need of wireless help!
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2006-02-23 8:51 PM
#
Ok, Step 1: Download and install correct drivers for the card to be run on a J720. Here is a link to the HPC2000 setup program for this card:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/h/0031.asp
Step 2 is to tell me what kind of router you have, like, the model and such. Then I can probably tell you what to do to configure it.
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2006-02-23 8:59 PM
#
The truth is, I don't have a J720, but I have set up a Mobilepro 790 to connect to wireless networks. It is a bit complicated to get it all set up for the first time, but it's well worth it. I hope to get a J728 soon, because the Jornadas rock.

Basically, after you install the drivers, you hould be able to go to the Start menu on your device, and some sort of Wireless config utility should then be there. That is our first step. To get the monitor thing running.

(PS: If anyone who has more experience with this scenario is reading this, please feel free to step in.)
 Top of the page
jjaff90 Page Icon Posted 2006-02-23 9:07 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

I have a Westell Versalink 327W router.

By the way, thank you for your help!
 Top of the page
jjaff90 Page Icon Posted 2006-02-23 9:18 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

ugh now when I installed that thing it allowed me to set up the connection and it says the signal strength is excellent but when I click internet explorer it says a connection with the server could not be established. Help me!
 Top of the page
Maul Page Icon Posted 2006-02-23 9:27 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I get that ocassionally too, when that happens to me, I close out internet explorer, and then reopen it and it will usaully connect the second time.
 Top of the page
jjaff90 Page Icon Posted 2006-02-23 9:31 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Can I put firefox on this thing?

what about aim?
 Top of the page
jjaff90 Page Icon Posted 2006-02-23 9:34 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Internet is not working. I have tried IE like 12 times. I am frustrated! Thank you everyone for your help thus far
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 10