x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

northerndm Page Icon Posted 2006-02-23 8:28 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Just checking to see if there is any brand of CF that does not work with the MP800. I was thinking of getting a 1GB CF card. Has anybody had any problem with this size?

Thanks,

Tony (whose wife will definitely cut him off if she finds out what he is buying for his new toy)
 Top of the page
Jorkapp Page Icon Posted 2006-02-23 9:58 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Play it safe and buy a Type-I card, and you shouldn't have any problem. Type-I cards are the most common anyway.

A side note here, I've heard several people on this forum joke/complain about family/friends/spouses negative reactions to purchasing H/PC's and H/PC accessories. What is the deal?

Tony, if you need a little advice for dealing with the wife, I'm more than willing to offer some suggestions. I've had a great amount of experience dealing with others in this regard. The only thing I can say right now is, if it's HER money you will be spending, you and your MP800 will spending many nights together- on the couch.
 Top of the page
northerndm Page Icon Posted 2006-02-23 10:47 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Ah, you must be one of those fortunate men who have a wife who understands and appreciates technology

I, on the other hand, has a wife who believes that we only "need" one computer!! "Why do I need a MP800?" she asks. Unfortunately, I made the classic mistake of saying that I needed it to do stuff, to which she replies, "What stuff?". I hate when women bring logic into an arguement

So after much discussion (read begging and pleading and promising to do the dishes), I convinced her that a MP800 is what I "need" in my life

But now I need to trick out my new toy and to this, she will never understand. Similiar to when I had to buy a power drill, saw, and new bench to fix a cupboard door. Took me five hours to get everything ready to replane the door which took 5 minutes. She never could understand why I needed a new power drill or saw

So I envy you as my wife just does not understand man's need for technology (or Star Trek).

Tony (who shudders everytime his wife looks at his bookcase of books)
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2006-02-23 10:50 PM
#
I use a Type II 128mb Buslink CF in my MP800 without any related issues.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-24 12:45 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Whatever you buy, hide the sharp knives and scissors in your house. and sleep with one eye open for a month or som
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-02-24 12:54 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

You might want to hide the power drill and saw, too.
 Top of the page
Jorkapp Page Icon Posted 2006-02-24 10:05 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

northerndm: I'm not married, but I have had to face both my girlfriend and mother when I've invested any money in my 2010c. No less, it just takes a little logic and reason beyond "just cuz" to let them see the light.
 Top of the page
northerndm Page Icon Posted 2006-02-24 11:03 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Getting back to my original question, what is the largest size of CF that somebody has used with their MP800? I need to get a CF card for it and would like to know what I should buy.

Tony (who is now trying to figure out how to convince his wife he "needs" to get a GPS for the summer)
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-24 11:15 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Got kids? You *need* a gps to find the nearest/fastest route to a hospital if they get hurt. Bingo.
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2006-02-24 11:28 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I will let you know what mine will do. I have a 2 GB card .

S/F<
CEYA!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-24 11:45 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Jorkapp - 2006-02-24 4:05 PM

northerndm: I'm not married, but I have had to face both my girlfriend and mother when I've invested any money in my 2010c. No less, it just takes a little logic and reason beyond "just cuz" to let them see the light.

what kind of reasoning? share your secret with us i need to know about this myself i have a very good friend who absolutely hates the hpc / pda topic...
 Top of the page
northerndm Page Icon Posted 2006-02-24 11:56 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

wallythacker - 2006-02-24 10:15 AM

Got kids? You *need* a gps to find the nearest/fastest route to a hospital if they get hurt. Bingo.

My wife is big into outdoorsy stuff (hiking, canoeing) so I'm trying to use the geocaching route. However, she is anti-technology so she brings up up the "what's wrong with a map and a compass" arguement

Tony (whose last convincing plea involving technolgy involved a digital camera and capturing cute kid moments ... then I erased the camera's memory )
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2006-02-24 12:02 PM
#
H/PC Elite

map and compass is the best!

S/F,
CEYA!
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2006-02-24 12:06 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

northerndm - 2006-02-24 4:56 PM

wallythacker - 2006-02-24 10:15 AM

My wife is big into outdoorsy stuff (hiking, canoeing) so I'm trying to use the geocaching route. However, she is anti-technology so she brings up up the "what's wrong with a map and a compass" arguement

Tony (whose last convincing plea involving technolgy involved a digital camera and capturing cute kid moments ... then I erased the camera's memory )

Saftey sells, how about saying "what would happen if we get lost, stuck in the middle of nowhere and we cannot see where we are on the map?"
I went out with a group of class mates (during the time when the school I attended offered camps) and even knowing the area, the group got lost at 11pm at night (23:00) with about 11 of us if more, it is a big risk, what would happen if...? I needed GPS back then, but since I am soo well prepared, I don't now.
Another suggestion, if she throws that out, ask her "would you rather carry a load of maps or a computer with all the maps you need loaded onto the computer?
Also, say to her, "if we give the kids a game, it'll keep 'em quiet for hours, more quality time for us 2".

My 2 cents worth, but just think logically, what would make her think "ooh! Thats useful!"?

EDIT: Digital camera and erasing memories? Nah, not me! The risk of loosing a space in a dark room, loosing my negatives and loosing my photographic paper is my majour fear! 35mm and an SLR in monocrone (pure black and white to everyone else) is all I need. But then again, I have 2 digital cameras already! :-)

Edited by Wessex_nut 2006-02-24 12:09 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-02-24 2:01 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Ceya - 2006-02-24 9:02 AM

map and compass is the best!

S/F,
CEYA!

Hey, whose side are you on?
 Top of the page