x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-24 2:03 PM
#
H/PC Elder

A map and compass does no good when you're in the Arctic Circle (I should talk, 2m of snow in my yard)

Ah, if both the adults were injured the kids can't properly use a map and compass but they can sure follow a red arrow on a hpc screen.

If all else fails show her a hpc makes a decent flashlight , lol
 Top of the page
Jorkapp Page Icon Posted 2006-02-24 3:16 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Economics and logistics are the key cmonex.

For me, a handheld fit my situation perfectly:

* More mobility than a laptop - fits in my briefcase, and isn't nearly as cumbersome as a laptop.
* Can access the internet from any phone-line or ethernet connection
* Modifications I made to the battery pack allows me to use pop-and-drop NiMH AA batteries. I disabled the internal charging mechanism, so batteries are wall-charges only. From a full wall-charge, 2 2000mAH batteries give me about 3 hours runtime (no network card). Thanks to a second set, I get 6 or more hours a day of mobile usage, where a laptop would die after 2 hours.
* Less expensive. All expenses accounted for, I've spent less than $250 on my 2010c. A used laptop plus bag plus whatever would be more than $500.
* Easier syncronization. One button push, and all my files are on my desktop and vice-versa. No questions asked.

Considering I will be university bound later this year, it fit all my requirements for a mobile machine. It can access the internet, type reports (final formatting will be done on desktop), isn't attractive for gaming, and can last a long time on batteries.

Simply put, compile reasons why it's a good investment before you invest. If you can't convince yourself it's a good investment for logical reasons beyond "just cuz" or "I always wanted one", you sure as hell will have a fun time convincing other. Logic and reason are your best friends in convincing others.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-24 8:40 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

this is exactly why i'm using hpc's. instead of a laptop or something...

he knows exactly why a hpc is useful. but can't tolerate me with them lol

and i spent more than 500$ on them

also he hates it that i can do internet all the time when i want to

so he's not exactly an easy case!

Edited by cmonex 2006-02-24 8:42 PM
 Top of the page
jpfx Page Icon Posted 2006-02-25 11:12 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

My missus knows I must have 'shiny' things and an HPC comes under that definition.
I can't say that changing the oil if the car is running fine is greeted with the same degree of acceptance though.
 Top of the page
digirebel
digirebel Page Icon Posted 2006-02-26 6:42 PM
#
I've been able to use a 4 GIG microdrive in the CF slot. I use a 512 MB card all the time.
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2006-02-26 11:42 PM
#
H/PC Elite

CE Geek - 2006-02-24 2:01 PM

Ceya - 2006-02-24 9:02 AM

map and compass is the best!

S/F,
CEYA!

Hey, whose side are you on?

The side that get me home. I have used Casio's Pathfinder watch and it is awesome . I tried it in different places around the world.

I tried other GPS systems and you will get conflicts, satellite issues or battery (ies) goes dead.

Map and compass is terrain features, knowledge of your sorroundings and the will to live with COMMON SENSE.

S/F,
CEYA!

Edited by Ceya 2006-02-26 11:46 PM
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 10