x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

need software: browser, Acrobat reader, media player, reset utility, etc.

1 2
mlevin666 Page Icon Posted 2004-12-28 2:02 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi everyone. I am greatly enjoying my HP Jornada 820, running WinCE 2.11 (ARM processor). I need to find the following:

1) a reset utility
2) a browser better than the Pocket Internet Explorer which is in ROM (preferably something which can handle java or at least not crash my machine on some websites)
3) a version of windows media player for MP3 files
4) a version of Adobe Acrobat Reader for PDF files
5) a utility for browsing wireless networks (like miniStumbler, which I haven't been able to get to work)

if anyone has tips for any of this stuff which would actually run on a Jornada 820 (WinCE 2.11 ARM), please let me know! Thank you in advance. (if possible, please also cc: your reply to me at mlevin77@comcast.net).

Mike Levin
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-12-28 2:07 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Welcome to the world of the H/PC & welcoem to the forums. I'm glad you are getting on with the device.

Out of morbed interest did you attempt to research any of this yourself?

CC of my Newsgroup reply:
Media Player:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/s/0079.asp

Acrobat:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/reviews/software/primer-3-1/

Developer group discussion on a new browser, no app yet. If you want java
support you need a Java VM. JS is browser dependent:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=182&start=1

Soft reset is API dependant and I cannot think of one off the top of my head
for the 820
 Top of the page
mlevin666 Page Icon Posted 2004-12-28 2:36 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

C-Amie - 2004-12-28 2:07 PM

Welcome to the world of the H/PC & welcoem to the forums. I'm glad you are getting on with the device.

Out of morbed interest did you attempt to research any of this yourself?

Thank you for the info. I did attempt to research it, and spent about 3 hours browsing and searching the web, and then trying to download stuff to my device (even though as far as I could read, each one was supposed to work on ARM processors on WinCE 2.11). I found a number of candidate files which didn't work - the CAB files, when brought over to the machine, resulted in an error saying basically that they weren't written for this type of OS/CPU. After a bunch of these, I thought I'd seek the advice of people who might actually have a Jornada and may have found versions that work for them.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-12-28 2:51 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Ok, you could have fallen foul of Palm-size PC binaries (which can be 2.11 ARM as well).

You need to look specifically for H/PC Pro (Jupiter) binaries and not just ones labelled ARM. There is a lot of HPC software for Pro that didn't come with ARM redists. Mainly because in the days of Pro ARM devices didn't exist until near the end if its run, and there were few of them about.
Come HPC2000 and they exploded becoming the defacto standard.

In the system applet in Control Panel. What is the Windows CE build number of the deivce, and is it listed as Application core 3.0 or 3.01?
 Top of the page
mlevin666 Page Icon Posted 2004-12-29 7:42 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

C-Amie - 2004-12-28 2:51 PM

In the system applet in Control Panel. What is the Windows CE build number of the deivce, and is it listed as Application core 3.0 or 3.01?

The build is 8262 and the Core is 2.11. Applications (Word, Excel, etc.) are 3.0.

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-12-29 9:25 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

OK. that means you need Service Pack 1, SSL update. Which are in Patching & Security and Downloads respectivly
 Top of the page
mlevin666 Page Icon Posted 2004-12-29 9:57 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

C-Amie - 2004-12-29 9:25 AM

OK. that means you need Service Pack 1, SSL update. Which are in Patching & Security and Downloads respectivly

Interesting. I've downloaded the service pack at

http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/patching/ce211/

and the SSL update at

http://www.hpcfactor.com/downloads/

just for my edification, how will the update work - isn't all the important stuff in ROM? How does it patch the OS?

Thanks!!

Mike
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-12-29 10:13 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I've edited your post as I don't want hotlinking on them.

The updates sit in RAM, on top of any existing ROM ones. When you hard reset they will be lost and you will have to reinstall it.
 Top of the page
mlevin666 Page Icon Posted 2004-12-29 10:35 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

C-Amie - 2004-12-29 10:13 AM

The updates sit in RAM, on top of any existing ROM ones. When you hard reset they will be lost and you will have to reinstall it.

Aha; what if I do a complete backup (including all the Windows directories etc.) onto a flash memory card, and then do a hard reset and a restore from the backup - will they come back or do I still have to re-install?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-12-29 11:42 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Depends on your backup program.
An ActiveSync side backup will retain the SP.
 Top of the page
mlevin666 Page Icon Posted 2005-01-03 8:25 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I've gotten them and installed them; can someone tell me : where on my device will it say that these "took"? Will the OS version, or the build number, etc. change once these are installed? What observable difference do these upgrades make? I want to make sure they remain after a backup/restore. How do I know that they're actually there? Thanks!

Mike
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-01-03 9:02 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

They will be listed in Remove Programs; in the Control Panel.

The build info does not change.
 Top of the page
mlevin666 Page Icon Posted 2005-01-10 9:22 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I installed these, and had an interesting problem I hope you could shed some light on. After I installed them, everything was working fine but the device told me I'd have to soft-reboot to have the installations become active. Upon soft-reboot, all my shortcut icons turned "generic" - it couldn't find any of the shortcut targets'. My Jornada has 2 cards: a wifi PCMCIA card in the left-hand slot, and a 256 Meg flash-memory card in the right-hand slot. Upon investigation, all my shortcuts were seen to link to "/Storage card/...", while the card itself was now named "/Storage card 2". I unfortunately can't remember whether this was the case before the upgrade, or whether the card got renamed. I first tried to create a shortcut called "Storage card" pointing to "Storage card 2", thinking that like in some OS's, it would be fooled and follow the link and find them that way. Didn't work. I then tried changing the name of the card to "Storage card", but it said "error renaming". I then went and changed (by hand!) every link to now refer to "Storage card 2" instead of "Storage card". Things seem to work now. The wisdom I'm seeking concerns the following questions:

1) Could this upgrade change the name of the storage card?
2) what controls the names of a cards - which slot it's in, or whether there's another card already installed or what?
3) why can't the cards be renamed?
4) is changing the pointer in the shortcuts a reasonable solution, or will other stuff be broken that I haven't found yet? Is there a better way to resolve this problem?

any other information would be greatly appreciated! Thank you,

Mike
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-01-10 10:51 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

1) Yes, SP1 contains registration updates
2) By default the nearest thing to random chance, insertion and driver hierachy is the official line
3) They're mount points in the Windows CE Object Store, to change them needs a complete remap - like changing drive letters in Windows.
4) It'll take you a month of Sundays

Have a look at:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/h/0010.asp

It tells you where everything goes.
 Top of the page
mlevin666 Page Icon Posted 2005-01-10 1:03 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

C-Amie - 2005-01-10 10:51 AM

1) Yes, SP1 contains registration updates
2) By default the nearest thing to random chance, insertion and driver hierachy is the official line
3) They're mount points in the Windows CE Object Store, to change them needs a complete remap - like changing drive letters in Windows.
4) It'll take you a month of Sundays

Have a look at:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/h/0010.asp

It tells you where everything goes.

Ah! This is great info - thank you. Now that I've done the manual changing of all links I could find (a Month of Sundays indeed!), I wonder:

1) is there any way to set up a link to the card with a different name ("Storage card 2" ponting to "Storage card", so that if the card gets renamed, they will still work?

2) is there any easy way to find all shortcuts (or better yet, all shortcuts with non-existing targets)? I have BSQUARE tools and some other stuff, in case that search functionality is there somewhere.

Thanks!

Mike
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 1.359 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9