x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada 680e CF card question

deezil
deezil Page Icon Posted 2006-02-24 12:16 PM
#
Was looking at the manual for the Jornada 680e, and saw that there was a door to access the CF card slot. Well, for some reason (I may be a blinding idiot) but I cannot find the door in question. The only thing I did find was the access hole for the battery. If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd be very appreciative.
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2006-02-24 12:33 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Thats because it is under that panel, in the box, it tells you why, these were used for Dutch Railways (well, may not be used), get a Torx-6 screwdriver, unscrew the screws, then screw them back in. If the screws don't fit, I read that you cut off the ends.
By the way, they have missing audio buttons, you'll see when you remove the panel.

EDIT: One other advantage of removing the panel, is that now you can use the docking pins, but supprisngly enough, the battery is part of the cover, I'll show you mine, so you can drool over it! ;-)

You can use either the 680/90 docking station or the 710/20/28 docking station, for the latter, you CANNOT use the PC card and dock the unit simutaneiously, when I did that (because I forgot to remove the PC card), the unit wouldn't mate with the pins. Secondly, you can only use serial, not USB, because of the difference in the OS. HPC Pro only allows syncing via serial I think, whereas 2k, alows USB too.
HTH

Edited by Wessex_nut 2006-02-24 12:40 PM
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-02-24 12:55 PM
#
I had the same type. I asked on here and got told that there was a card slot, and that there wasn't one. I took the plunge and ripped the bottom off, and there it was. Instead of cutting the screws to bits i took them off the back of my clock (just the right length). Pity it wont accept a microdrive.
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-02-24 2:27 PM
#
Actually - theres an interesting idea. The Jornada i got for my friend is coming with a broken one as well (quite badly broken), but the CF slot is intact. I may have a look, see how hard it would be to cut out the backplate to accept type II cards. Does anyone know if the J680, aside from them not fitting, can support a type II card in the CF slot (microdrives)?
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2006-02-24 2:43 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

chazco - 2006-02-24 7:27 PM

Actually - theres an interesting idea. The Jornada i got for my friend is coming with a broken one as well (quite badly broken), but the CF slot is intact. I may have a look, see how hard it would be to cut out the backplate to accept type II cards. Does anyone know if the J680, aside from them not fitting, can support a type II card in the CF slot (microdrives)?

Good luck! There is another problem, considered that there would be more restrictions? CF tab at the end of the socket, space in the holder, space between the bottom of the holder and the bottom of the CF card plate?
I don't think you would easily make 5.5mm up like that. Added to that, if the plasic is thicker, then the unit will rock, even when the bottom leg is extended.
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-02-24 2:51 PM
#
Well, given that the spare unit is completly dead it coulnt hurt to have a look. If it does work i may do it to a working one (if it does rock i'll put the dutch railway cover onto it).
 Top of the page
deezil
deezil Page Icon Posted 2006-02-24 5:31 PM
#
Thanks for all the help and support guys, now just to find a torx 6 and get this baby cut down
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-02-25 3:30 AM
#
You can use a flat-head screwdriver. Put it right against the /\ of the torx screw shape and turn slowly. You can then use other screws to replace it.
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2006-02-25 4:44 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

chazco - 2006-02-25 8:30 AM

You can use a flat-head screwdriver. Put it right against the /\ of the torx screw shape and turn slowly. You can then use other screws to replace it.

errrr...... you sure you want to do that? You may strip the threads pulling the screws out or damaging the units, I wouldn't recommend it.
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-02-25 5:37 AM
#
Worked for me. Watchmakers screwdriver, take out the * shaped screws, then replace them with new ones. If you mean the thread inside the Jornada, it should be fine if you're careful. Clearly its better with a torc screwdriver, but getting one where i live is murder (no one knows what you mean)
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2006-02-25 1:22 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

chazco - 2006-02-25 10:37 AM

Worked for me. Watchmakers screwdriver, take out the * shaped screws, then replace them with new ones. If you mean the thread inside the Jornada, it should be fine if you're careful. Clearly its better with a torc screwdriver, but getting one where i live is murder (no one knows what you mean)

Depends where you are. DIY stores won't sell them, HP I think do, RS may do, and several other places, depends where you are though.
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-02-25 2:15 PM
#
Who are "RS"?
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2006-02-25 2:22 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

UK company, try http://rswww.com/
 Top of the page
deezil
deezil Page Icon Posted 2006-02-26 6:01 PM
#
I just found a 256MB CF card on ebay for $8 shipped, so I'm waiting on it to get here before I can continue with the project.
 Top of the page
deezil
deezil Page Icon Posted 2006-03-02 3:57 PM
#
OK, I've gotten the card in, but it doesn't seem like it is recognizing it. Any ideas?
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 12