x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Medusa AC adapters

wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-26 4:33 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I got a little tired of keeping track of all the AC adapters for my various hpcs/laptops/tablets. So I have a plan.

So, I sorted out the adapters into two groups so far, 9v and 13-15v.

For the 13-15v group I choose the most powerful AC adapter which is my Libretto PS. It puts out 15v, perhaps a touch high for 13.5v units but hopefully not high enough to fry anything.

Next step, cut the ends off my other AC adapters (or buy new compatible ends from an electronics store) and solder them in parallel to the Libretto PS.

So my medusa adapter will power my Librettos, Amity Vp tablet, Mobilepro 800 & 890 and any other 13-15v hpc I might get by adding the right plug.

I think 15v is too high though for my 720 which wants 12v. Maybe I'll use the 890 PS instead as it is 13.5v, probably OK for the 720, fine for the 800/890, ok for my Amity, needs testing on the Libretto.

You get the idea though. For me, owning lots of different devices, if I can get one AC adapter to work with several devices it's less to carry and less plugs/wires/overall hassles.

I know the downside. If the adapter fries I may be stuck somewhere with no charging abilities. Still, having some 15 + adapters is getting a little overwhelming.

Thoughts?
 Top of the page
stftclmshell Page Icon Posted 2006-02-26 12:00 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Great minds, think alike! Here is my solution for having so many different toys;

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-26 3:24 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

lol yes just buy an universal thing

but anyway... what if you want to charge several hpc's at the same time :unsure

oh and if possible i use the original ac adapter. you never know with a non original one... i just bought a dead j720 from someone (30$ with almost brand new battery & serial cable ) who once managed to fry it with a non original one.. ok lets put together this and the 12$ dead j720 = fully working j720 + and some spare parts for less than 45$

maybe i'm just paranoid eh? but this story about that j720 was scary
 Top of the page
stftclmshell Page Icon Posted 2006-02-26 8:30 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I can trust this unit to +/- 1.5% on the voltage and even less error on the amp side. This power supply is for "clean" regulated power for "bench testing" electronics. I have a different output lead that can charge several units(10 outputs) of similar power requirements simultaneously. The circuitry to allow for variable DC inputs is easy to find on Google and cheap to build. If you will notice most of our AC adapters are "voltage sensing" in that they are compatable worldwide, 90-250 vac, 50-60 hrtz. My "toy shelf" is ran by this and 1 more power supply that are on timers set for 2-1/2 hour cycles per day. This seems to keep my units charged at all times without overcharging.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-27 1:43 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

oh then it is a good quality power supply i want a setup like this
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-27 4:06 PM
#
H/PC Elder

That's a great plan for charging. And a nice regulated supply for the job. I have to fix my 20A variable DC PS before I can mass charge daily.

For the road, my crazy medusa idea seems pretty good. One charger for several devices is much easier to tote.

Monica, send some of those amazing deals on parts hpcs my way won't you?
 Top of the page
stftclmshell Page Icon Posted 2006-02-27 10:43 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I have both a 110vac and 12 vdc power supplies to carry to the office etc. Also a 110 inverter installed in my pickup.
I'm lucky. Epo Electromics is about 4 miles away. They are too much. it takes me about an hour a week to keep up with their new stock. I bought 2 brand new 3"x6" LCD screens today, for $4.95 each!!! Remember the old sync cables that were 9 pin serial on the PC end and the standard audio plug on the other(like for your PC speakers)? I bought 2 for $6.00 total. still in the wrap. You can use them to make a cassette tape storage drive system.

That pictured power supply + about 20 different DC adapters for the cord was $60.00.

Edited by stftclmshell 2006-02-27 10:44 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-28 6:56 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2006-02-27 10:06 PM

Monica, send some of those amazing deals on parts hpcs my way won't you?

sure i will.. but shipping costs.. oh well.

stftclmshell - 2006-02-28 4:43 AM

That pictured power supply + about 20 different DC adapters for the cord was $60.00.

oooh. can i have one?
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 13