x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Are handheld pcs obsolete???

1 2
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2006-03-02 4:01 AM
#
H/PC Elite

More and more people are asking what is that? I tell them it is J720, G138 or 6651 and they are amazed . People have been asking me that for years but they are now asking me to get them one or where do you get one. As I explain they have been out sine the Psion/Apple Newton days of the 80s they are shocked. Teachers.Real Estate, Students are asking and wanting.

Amazing this time they have money.. not enough promotion for the HPC products.

S/F,
CEYA!
 Top of the page
Rabbit Page Icon Posted 2006-03-02 10:14 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Ceya - 2006-03-02 11:01 AM

More and more people are asking what is that? I tell them it is J720, G138 or 6651 and they are amazed . People have been asking me that for years but they are now asking me to get them one or where do you get one. As I explain they have been out sine the Psion/Apple Newton days of the 80s they are shocked. Teachers.Real Estate, Students are asking and wanting.

Amazing this time they have money.. not enough promotion for the HPC products.

S/F,
CEYA!

LOL Ceya, yes, I have the same experience, since I dusted off my Cassiopeia. People have absolutely no idea what it is, and are shocked to see that you can actually run excel, word, play chess on such a small unit, and use it so effectively compared to other more modern devices. The funniest is that my unit is in grayscale, but people are really fasinated with it.

Its really sad they don't make anything comparative nowdays, lets hope the manufactures see the light and the demand.

Regards
Rabbit
 Top of the page
ZSX Page Icon Posted 2006-03-02 5:02 PM
#
H/PC Elite

If you are OS agnostic, you might want to have a look at the Coxion Webbook. http://www.coxion.fi/eng/tuotteet/webbook.html
This has the form factor of a H/PC but I think runs its own version of CE.Net, not H/PC or PocketPC, and uses ActiveSync.

The Origami project/UMPC looks promising, but if it does not have instant on and a battery life that can last a full day of intensive use, I will be less enthusiastic. I also hope that some of the variants in the first generation will include keyboards. You'll just have to wait until 9 March for the announcement.

And just to add to the consensus, I have a Samsung Izzi Pro which still turns heads on the train when I whip it out. Instant on, VGA colour screen, all the basic apps. Okay, the palette is limited, but if you resize your movies to the size for smartphone (220 x 176) it is actually watchable at a decent framerate.

Edited by ZSX 2006-03-02 5:24 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-02 5:17 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

cenet on the smartbook looks and works the same as the HPC platform.

Top of the page
jpfx Page Icon Posted 2006-03-02 6:05 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I think the likes of toshiba, sony & fujitsu are fast approaching HPC by downsizing their laptops. There's significantly more money in it for them too; where sub notebooks have always commanded premium pricing. My personal favorite is the fujitsu 1510D. If they can slap a dual core processor in the next revision and keep the battery life, then that would be icing on the cake. It's only cost that keeps me from having one right now.

Edited by jpfx 2006-03-02 6:06 PM
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-03-03 4:22 AM
#
H/PC Elder

The P1510 is an 8.9 inch laptop. Very small yes, but not HPC small. It's larger than the MobilePro, and perhaps similar to the Netbook Pro.

Sony did make the U101 which is still the smallest laptop (6.4 inch), but discontinued it and went with the U50/70 PDA size. Sharp CV50 and Toshiba Libretto U100 (both 7.2 inch) are the only two current laptops that approach HPC size - both similar to MobilePro size.

The Coxion Webbook is a rebranded version of my Smartbook G138, which is a very very sweet machine. It's my current avatar
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-03 11:52 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

isnt the smallest laptop the old libretto (6,1"?
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-03-03 1:12 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Oops, sorry, there are many smaller laptops from the old days... I really meant smallest laptop running current software - Windows XP
 Top of the page
alphacrumb
alphacrumb Page Icon Posted 2006-03-03 2:51 PM
#
cmonex - Posted 2006-03-03 11:52 AM

isnt the smallest laptop the old libretto (6,1"?

I'm not sure if the Libretto is smaller than the IBM PC-110. I always figured the 110 was the smallest Windows PC of them all. (Awww, ain't it cute? )

Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-03-03 3:45 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Well if you just say "smallest Windows PC" it would be the OQO. But if you say a "laptop", which means you can put it on your lap and dance type, then this baby is a bit too petite. Why would anyone drink Diet Pepsi anyway?
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 12