x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Link Page Icon Posted 2006-02-27 6:12 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

i was wondering can any viruses infect an hpc or even worse, infect the host pc. if so i wascurious where i could get some anti-virus software.
Link
 Top of the page
quiche Page Icon Posted 2006-02-27 6:50 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

This is my question too. I have a trial version of Avast on my NEC MobilePro 790. Is it worth buying it?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-02-28 3:47 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I don't think there have been any documented cases of virus infection in a CE device. From what I've heard, anti-virus software for H/PCs is just a waste of money.
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2006-02-28 7:42 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Link - 2006-02-27 6:12 PM

i was wondering can any viruses infect an hpc or even worse, infect the host pc. if so i wascurious where i could get some anti-virus software.
Link

I'm not an expert at this, but since the OS and the Pocket Office are in ROM. the worse that can happen is that you'll have to perform a hard reset to restore your H/PC to it's original state and then restore your data from the backup file that you've created and saved on a regular basis. I suppose it's possible for a virus to infect your unit, but it probably wouldn't have the devistating effect that the virus creator and sender are looking for....so why bother?

Of course, if you fail to backup your data and software to an external source on a regular basis....it could be pretty frustrating.

Edited by Hurricane John 2006-02-28 7:42 AM
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2006-02-28 8:47 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Given that people store passwords, usernames, financial details etc on PDAs, I'd say that the worst that could happen is that your security is utterly compromised by a rogue application/trojan rather than a virus. Proof of concepts have been written - http://www.bitdefender.com/VIRUS-35998-en--WinCE.Dust.A.html ...

Just be aware of what you're putting on your PDA.
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2006-02-28 9:05 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Hurricane John - 2006-02-28 7:42 AM

Link - 2006-02-27 6:12 PM

Link

I'm not an expert at this, but since the OS and the Pocket Office are in ROM. the worse that can happen is that you'll have to perform a hard reset to restore your H/PC to it's original state and then restore your data from the backup file that you've created and saved on a regular basis. I suppose it's possible for a virus to infect your unit, but it probably wouldn't have the devistating effect that the virus creator and sender are looking for....so why bother?

Of course, if you fail to backup your data and software to an external source on a regular basis....it could be pretty frustrating.

Will it make any diffence if the important data on your handheld PC is encrypted, by using say...HPC Notes by Phatware or eWallet by Ilium?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-28 3:23 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Heh, ironicaly I have an editorial that covers this all written up. It's not due to be posted up for a week or two though.

Chiark has the most troubling point, however do realise that the code was for CE4. Virus writers in the future will be more likely to go after the biggest market share - and that is to write against WM5 code at this time. So, unless they go assember, you have nothing to worry about.
 Top of the page
Link Page Icon Posted 2006-02-28 5:45 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

yes but can you accidentaly pass on viruses to the host computer when you sync?
Link
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-28 7:08 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

nah, those antivir soft are all outdated anyway. just update the PC one regularly.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 46 - Executed queries : 29