x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Just Got a Jornada 720-and about to toss it in the trash!

1 2
alfabob
alfabob Page Icon Posted 2006-02-27 10:47 PM
#
BTW, disabling MS Firewall and Zone Alarm might also help....
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2006-02-27 11:19 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Ok, if you used other PDAs then this should not fustrate you. Sometimes it does take awhile for the two computers to talk to each other with active sync.

So far AS 3.8 works well with little problems. Make sure you check everything before chucking anything in the trash.

Let me know when first as I will be your garbage man that week. LOL

Alot of us here have been through worse but with a little time and patience we have over come the obstacles. Especially the early years of WIN - CE.

Any other problems or questions do a search first to seek your answer , if not there please post so we can help.

Go to downloads here for software to help your J720 or go http://www.yetanotherhomepage.com/j7xx

Enjoy one of the better hpc on the market. We are here to help, even though we need help too. LOL.

S/F,
CEYA!

Edited by Ceya 2006-02-28 12:05 AM
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-27 11:35 PM
#
H/PC Elder

SueNY - 2006-02-27 8:53 PM

Success!! The cold boot worked..it connected right away. Of course now I am afraid to disconnect! Thanks for the speedy replies and for putting up with my frustration. :-)

Sue

Weird, I didn't see this post even though I refreshed a couple of times. Same thing goes for other posts in this thread.

Glad it's working Sue. Don't let frustration get the best of you. I really think highly of my 720s and find them the best carry around hpcs I own.

Just the right size with a decent keyboard and enough software to cover all my needs.
 Top of the page
SueNY Page Icon Posted 2006-02-28 1:48 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

No XP here...I am using an older system running Windows ME.
The cold boot worked and everything was fine until 5 minutes ago. I clicked disconnect on the Jornada and removed it from the cradle..then I noticed the ActiveSync icon on the desktop was still green! ARGH. I closed ActiveSync and tried to reconnect. It's refusing again! Now it is giving me "Error 678":

Cannot start communications with the desktop computer. Remote networking could not start due to a critical error. Please reconnect your device-if problem persists please restart your device"

I am going to try and reboot my computer and see if that helps.

Sue
 Top of the page
SueNY Page Icon Posted 2006-02-28 2:06 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Fixed again! This is what did it:

Start Microsoft Active Sync on the desktop computer at the "Get Connected" window.
With the Jornada disconnected from the cable, soft reset the device by pushing the red reset button next to the letter "Q" with your stylus.
Now click Next on the desktop PC to get connected, and at the same time plug the sync cable into the Jornada.
If the device does not connect and the error message is displayed on the device again, close the error message, restart the ActiveSync Connection Wizard, and then repeat steps two and three until the connection is successful.

I really do love my Jornada but I hate ActiveSync!

Well I got everything I wanted reinstalled and added a few things. The only other problem I had besides a cranky ActiveSync was that PocketC refused to work. Oh well! Thanks everyone for putting up with me!

Sue
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2006-02-28 2:46 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Error 678: The remote computer failed to respond. from Microsoft website.

Win ME has issues too but lets get this fixed for you. You have AS 3.8 installed , correct ? All the com ports( PC and HPC) are correct and the same? One step at a time.

S/F,
CEYA!
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-28 2:51 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Now your 720 is to your liking (more or less) use the HP backup program. It will save you the headaches of doing it all again.
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2006-02-28 3:08 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Good call Wally.

S/F,
CEYA!
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2006-02-28 9:58 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Sue, I get the same problem with my 710 vice 728. The trouble with mine is that I have 3 computers (2 laptops and a desktop, see the signiture). The Clevo one has 1 serial port, the desktop has 4(!) and Activesync still has big problems connecting, especially when there is more than one profile.
I now use my 718 on serial only as apposed to serial on the laptop and USB on the desktop, but on the desktop, it still defaults to serial, so, you may want to try my suggestion.
Go to Start > Setting > Control Panel" and double tap "communications", tap the "PC Connection" tab and change the bit that says "connect using:" and change to " 'SerialPort @ 115k ", press OK on both windows and soft reset.
It should work better, or it could default to USB (shouldn't do!).
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-28 2:58 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Ceya - 2006-02-28 7:46 AM
All the com ports( PC and HPC) are correct and the same?
The COM ports do not need to match up.

This is proabily a USB PnP enumeration issue over anything else.

Do not allows the H/PC to connect to the host during cradling or during disconnect - and don't just wrench the device out of the crandle whiel conencted. You wind up sending garbled information down the feed in all three instances and this frags the driver session.

Run SFC on the Windows Millennium install - more in Windows Help.

Lastly, reboot the PC into Safe Mode, open the device manager (Control Panel > System > Device Manager) and expand everything. Shiney penny says you have a load of duplicate hardware devices in the driver database and probably an unknown device or two in the USB / WinCE section. Delete anything to do with WinCE, HP, Jornada, HPC, duplicates of any hardware that can't actually have duplicates. Ultimately if you take anything out by accident it'll put it back - just don't clear any from the the non-plug & play devices if there are any.

Finalyl ensure that you are UTD: http://www.hpcfactor.com/qlink/?linkID=14
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-28 5:01 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

well no one heard my suggestion about killing the AS process this problem really sounds like the one i had.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-28 9:58 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I heard your suggestion about toasting the AS process

But I've found anything less than W2k is pretty iffy in killing tasks, and Sue has ME. She might bring the whole house of cards down trying to kill AS.
 Top of the page
Conney
Conney Page Icon Posted 2006-03-01 6:22 PM
#
Once you've got partnership with your PC established, you can try this (easiest way and always works for me) on your Jornada:

"Start->Programms->Communications->Active Sync", choose your connection and click "Connect" button...

Hope this helps

Regards
Kon
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 11