x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Cannot get Hitachi 4GB microdrive to work

ozone Page Icon Posted 2006-03-01 4:47 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hi... I'm having some real problems with a microdrive. I bought a Hitachi 4 GB microdrive (CFII size) off of EBay to use in my NECMP900C. It was recognized on my XP machine in my USB card reader and I transferred some files to test out the drive in the handheld. But when I inserted it into the NEC, it didn't recognize the card, asked for a driver, but it should have been recognized immediately. I plugged it back into the USB card reader on my XP machine and it said it was FAT format. I decide to reformat it to FAT32.

However, when it is over 99% formatted, it suddenly stops and says "Windows cannot complete the formatting." I tried this several times, even from within the device manager. I even tried reformatting it to FAT (16k allocation size), and I got the same mistake. I talked to my technician at my university and he suggested I delete the partition since it's a microdrive in case there is a virus, was Linux formatted, etc., but it does not allow me to delete. I even tried formatting it using my Canon digital camera, but no luck either.

According to everything I see on the web, this card should be FAT32 formattable, but at the moment, I can't use it for anything, let alone my NEC.

Any help would be really appreciated.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-01 6:19 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

when the nec asks for a driver that means a bad thing: card is no good... i have a 256mb cf here, that doesn't work reliably in some machines (psion s7), does in other machines (jornada 720) and the nec 900 asks for a driver... jornada wanted to format it right away. i said OK and it formatted it in 1 sec. impressive anyway, it worked OK then, in the j720. but i don't trust that card...
 Top of the page
ozone Page Icon Posted 2006-03-01 6:28 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thanks cmonex. I figured you would know more than just about anybody else. Ach... not good I guess for my situation. I'm going to see if the EBay seller is willing to refund me.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-01 6:30 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

nah, nah it was just my experience, i'm certainly not the one who knows the most about these things. just had a lot of cards

but it is really the most likely that you need to get a refund
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-01 10:49 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I think you have a MD that's locked in IDE mode. Best to ask for a refund.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.189 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 9