x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Using Java Midlets on HPC Devices

Rabbit@Net
Rabbit@Net Page Icon Posted 2006-03-02 1:14 AM
#
Hi folks,

short time ago I discoverd this interesting post. It descriptes, howto
run Java midlets, in the special case mentioned Opera mini, on HPC devices. So I downloaded the
offered files from the post and installed the IBM midlet runtime environment. I copied the 16.5 kB
version of agyshell in the program directory I installed the runtime components earlier. Then I
modified the required windows version of the files from Windows CE 4.2 to 4.0 using executability
check tool.
Now I was able to start the management interface through the link in the programs group called
"Midlet HQ". It launched without trouble and could be closed without, too. Only the menu at the
left bottom of the window looked some way strange. Surely the original menu did not contain an item
called "midlet.contructor,command.exit".
The installation of midlet to this environment was quit easy. I simply unpacked the .JAR and .JAD
file of an Midlet application into the same directory and double taped on of them to install. This
worked without any problems. Aftrwards the installed application appeared in the midlet management
app (Midlet HQ).

And here comes the big point: Howto launch such an installed midlet??? - Double taping did not
launch them!
Did anyone make midlets successfully running on a Sigmarion? What did I wrong? - Any comment or
idea welcome!!!

Greetings from Germany,
rabbit@net
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-02 1:13 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

well, you mean the ibm j9 thing we made a thread about?

i forgot how to launch them, i guess you have to do that from within the midlet manager. or doubletap on the jad file, really forgot. it was months ago when i tried opera mini. it wasn't bad but it wasn't impressive enough, would run only in 640x200. (nokia 9500's res). i tried it on a jornada, so not sure about sig3.

as for the sig3, i tried only sun's pjava and jeode and pjava wouldnt launch (instead froze sig3) and jeode wouldnt integrate into PIE because of some registry errors. so if someone knows how to get these work i'd really appreciate it lol.
 Top of the page
Guest Page Icon Posted 2006-03-03 1:28 AM
#
HI cmonex,

nice to hear, that I am not the only one having trouble. For general Java problems, maybe the ewe vm is a solution. It is available for free for different hpc platforms as well. I'll post a link as soon as I found it again ...

Anyone else having bright ideas about the IBM j9 thing? - I'll really need that running until the 9th of this month ... or I'll get lost on the CeBit.
 Top of the page
Rabbit@Net
Rabbit@Net Page Icon Posted 2006-03-03 1:32 AM
#
The guest post was me! - Sorry, forgot to change the name ...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-03 12:05 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

ewe doesnt look that good to me.. ok, maybe worth a try but..

what do you want to use ibm j9 for?
 Top of the page
TFGBD Page Icon Posted 2006-03-03 12:26 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

You need to click the Launch(or whatever it is called) button near the bottom of the Window. Since the buttons are covered by the P/PC menubar, you will need to autohide the taskbar before you can see them. You can also use Dic's OKapp.exe to move the H/PC taskbar to the top of the screen. I find this to be the best method since the autohidden taskbar still covers a small part of the bottom of the window.

I'm actually the person that first figured out a way to get it working on H/PC 2000. This version of the IBM J9 Midlet Manager is slightly older than the one that is available as a free download on the IBM site and handango. Sadly, the latest version on IBM's site does not run on H/PC 2000 but I really doubt there is much of a difference anyway. As luck would have it, I just happened to have a copy of this older version on my hard drive. I guess I downloaded it a few months ago and forgot about it.

Enjoy.

Edited by TFGBD 2006-03-03 12:27 PM
 Top of the page
Rabbit@Net
Rabbit@Net Page Icon Posted 2006-03-05 5:01 AM
#
Hi TFGBD,

thx for help! Works quite fine. Why I haven't figured that out? *loud thinking*

I needed the Midlet's, since I am going to the CeBit and want to use the CeBit Helper Application on my Sigmarion III. That way it is much easier than looking through some megs of pdf files. Unfortunatly, the PPC application published this year simply doesn't work - it does not install. But the Midlet will just do fine.

Once more, thanks for your help!
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 8