x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

PIE Download Cache + ftx tabbed

sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-12-30 2:05 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Many times when I try to download a file I get cannot save to cache, and when I try the save link destination as I get the wonderful error of cannot save of file...And in ftx browser it used to be that I could open many tabbed windows if a page by right-clicking the link and saying open in new window. But I used to stay in that window and have the tab open separately. Now, when I open something in a new window, I go right to that window! This is very annoying as I tend to open all the new posts/threads at once, and now I have to constantly click the window I started in to continue!

-This is a very *colourful* problem.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2004-12-30 10:02 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Ya, I notice this thing about the tabs as well, though it was like that right from the start for me. Maybe its the new version?

I got that download error recently too ... it turned out to be the cache size and amt of free space available for programs in internal mem. When I sorted them out, the download worked. Is there anyway to set the cache to be on Storage Card instead of internal mem/prog?
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-12-30 10:15 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Aha! Thanks for giving me the source of the problem!

...Now, anyone?
 Top of the page
blalond
blalond Page Icon Posted 2005-05-24 12:13 PM
#
Hi.

First, tabbed browsing. I'm running ftxBrowser 0.9f on Jornada 720.
When I hold shift and click on a link, that link opens up in a new tab. It does switch me right to that tab (unlike control-click in FireFox which just loads the tab but doesn't switch you to that tab). I found that if I click quick on the original tab up top right after I shift-click, then I get to go back to my original page while the new tab loads in the background.

The cache limit thing has been bothering me for a while. I have a 512MB CF storage card and a CF wireless card (in a pcmcia adapter), and so downloading big files is something that I want to do from time to time to get large mp3 talks onto my storage card, for example.

After messing around a while, I thought the limit was 16.383MB because I put FFFF into the main cachelimit (65,535KB) and that splits out to a four cache paths (16,383KB each).

I read this msdn thing:
msdn: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wceie55/html/coconInternetExplorer55RegistryKeys.asp

It says that the registry path is:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Cache\Content\CacheLimit

If you use PHM Registry Editor you can put in the DWORD values in as decimal, so that will help you key in straight KB values.

To change the location of the cache you can change these values:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
Cache="\Storage Card\Temporary Internet Files"
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Cache\Paths
Directory= "\Storage Card\Temporary Internet Files"
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Cache\Paths\Path1
CachePath= "\Storage Card\Temporary Internet Files\Cache1"
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Cache\Paths\Path2
CachePath="\Storage Card\Temporary Internet Files\Cache2"
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Cache\Paths\Path3
CachePath="\Storage Card\Temporary Internet Files\Cache3"
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Cache\Paths\Path4
CachePath="\Storage Card\Temporary Internet Files\Cache4"

The problem is that I'm not getting consistent results with these changes. For example, I've been able to download a large file (I think it was over 10MB) before, but I just got the "The file could not be written to the cache." error on an attempted 2.6MB download.

So basically I don't really have this pinned down yet. Maybe it's something about how much actual free space is on my storage card... I don't know.

Anybody have experience in being able to download these larger files?

Peace,
-Brian
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-24 5:26 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

These registry settings are for Windows CE 4.1, not HPC2000.
 Top of the page
adrianovrm
adrianovrm Page Icon Posted 2005-08-24 7:12 AM
#
L ´m with the same problem. The cache/internet temporary, eats my memory space and a have a storage card that have much space for this stuff. l tried to modify the registry as specific above and nothing happens , so l hard reset then the old values were return.... do you, friends, already have any solution for this so common problem at internet navigation above Jornadas 720
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-24 7:40 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Snappy! - 2004-12-31 4:02 AM

Is there anyway to set the cache to be on Storage Card instead of internal mem/prog?

would be quite dangerous to poor little CF!

anyway i'm also interested in the solution for hpc2000 i mean if i set the cache to the storage card will that solve the download bug? i'm just not entirely sure
(does this reg hack work on ce.net? hmm i'll see)
 Top of the page
adrianovrm
adrianovrm Page Icon Posted 2005-08-24 11:22 AM
#
512MB cf card its not enough ? do you have the way to modify the registry of the j720.? send it for us , please -)
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-24 1:57 PM
#
H/PC Elder

get a copy of tweaks2k. it mods the registy to tell IE where to write the cache. Be advised, it will be pretty slow writing to a flsh card.

NF3 is your other choice. It's unbufferrerd and will wtite any size file to your CF csrd, if the available space exists.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-25 9:46 AM
#
H/PC Elder

ProgramSynthesiser - 2004-12-30 2:05 PM

Many times when I try to download a file I get cannot save to cache, and when I try the save link destination as I get the wonderful error of cannot save of file...And in ftx browser it used to be that I could open many tabbed windows if a page by right-clicking the link and saying open in new window. But I used to stay in that window and have the tab open separately. Now, when I open something in a new window, I go right to that window! This is very annoying as I tend to open all the new posts/threads at once, and now I have to constantly click the window I started in to continue!

-This is a very *colourful* problem.

View, turn off focus to new window
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 8