x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HP Jornada 720 screen is orange!

bluemonq
bluemonq Page Icon Posted 2006-03-03 4:21 AM
#
^ As the title says, the entire screen is orange if I power it on. Started last Wednesday; I put it aside like some people have suggested and tried it again today. Still orange. Once in a while, if I hit the reset button, I can see a flickering mess with the HP startup logo, but that's about it.

Usedhandhelds.com has the repair service, but it's $150, way beyond my means being a broke college student and all. It's especially frustrating since I just sold my laptop a few weeks ago to pay for rent, thinking the Jornada could cover all my needs...

Is there anything low-cost that I could do to fix it? And it'd have to be fast... I'm leaving for a trip on the 16th that requires computing power of some sort.

Edited by bluemonq 2006-03-03 4:22 AM
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-03-03 4:55 AM
#
It sounds like the display ribbon cable is loose. If you think you can you could take your Jornada apart and try to reconnect it. It might not be though. I'm sure someone on here can instruct you how to do this.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-03 11:44 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

did you hard reset it at all?

you could get a dead j720 cheap to fix it..
 Top of the page
bluemonq
bluemonq Page Icon Posted 2006-03-03 2:20 PM
#
Umm, let's assume that I did do a hard reset and it didn't work (depending on the replies to this question, I'll try it). So unless I just have a loose display cable, it'll reqire a real hardware fix?
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-03-03 2:34 PM
#
It could be a lot of things. My iPaq (before i knew of HPC's) did this. It went bluey red, shaking it caused the image to flash up breifly.

Connect it to your PC and see if your PC picks it up. If it does (this would show the mainboard is working at least) do a backup, then try a hard reset.
If that doesnt work try opening it and checking ribbion cables.
If that doesnt work it could be the actual hardware (e.g. circuit boards or something) and you would have problems.
 Top of the page
bluemonq
bluemonq Page Icon Posted 2006-03-03 6:23 PM
#
Just to let you guys know.... it miraculously started working again for no reason at all... though part of the digitizer (maybe a centimeter-wide vertical strip on the right side) doesn't work anymore, so no scrollling =/ oh well, at least it works now =)
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-03 7:52 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

looks like you just would have needed to check screen cable, or fix the screws... dunno about the digitizer but worth a try if you're not afraid to open the unit up
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-03-05 7:15 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

If the digitizer is not working, then it is a loose or damaged cable. If it randomly started working again, it is probably a loose cable.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 11