x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Best Wifi Card for 720?

SueNY Page Icon Posted 2006-03-03 11:02 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi..
I have the chance to get a WPC11 Version 3 or a Orinico(sp?) Classic Gold..which is better? Or is there one even better? I don't want a CF one. Thanks for the help!

Sue
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-03-04 6:25 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I vote for the ORiNOCO Classic Gold. I have one myself, and I'm very happy with it. It works on every H/PC I have (CE 2.0 through 3.0) without any problems.
 Top of the page
P.E.I. Page Icon Posted 2006-03-04 10:05 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I have the linksys card ver.3 in my 720 it works fine but it wont work with ce2.11. Orinoco gold card is my pick works in most devices I own.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-03-04 11:34 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I agree: I have the Orinoco Gold and it works great, both with a WindowsME peer-to-peer (Orinoco will talk easily even to the lousy WinME OS) with my 720 and painlessly between my 720 and XP Pro.

Do try to avoid the Proxim makes of the Orinoco as they seem to be problematic. Cmonex knows for sure.

Jake
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-03-04 7:27 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Yeah, look for "Agere Systems" or "Lucent Technologies" on the card and/or package. These were the prior manufacturers of the ORiNOCO card, and they did it right.
 Top of the page
jpfx Page Icon Posted 2006-03-09 8:12 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

The enterasys roamabout 802.11 DS high rate is the same card as the orinoco gold. Works well with WEP enabled on a J720 and an MP800.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-09 9:00 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I'm the oddball. Go for the Linksys. You don't have to worry who made it. Just make sure you get a V3 or 2.5
 Top of the page
David G Page Icon Posted 2006-03-09 10:14 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I own both a Linksys version 2.5 and an hp branded Lucent Technologies ORINOCO Gold.

Both are great cards and are very compatible with J720 (as well as most of my assortment of CE Machines).

My advice? Get the cheapest one!

(Maybe you'll save enough money to go out and get a pizza!)
 Top of the page
SueNY Page Icon Posted 2006-03-09 11:38 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I went with the WPC11 V.3...works great! :-)
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-10 12:23 AM
#
H/PC Elder

If I could I'd swap my other brand prism cards for wpc11s. Having assorted brand prism cards is a minor nuisance.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-10 7:19 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

senao SL-2511-CF here... until the antennae cover came off it while it was in a pocket in my handbag along with a lot more stuff, i didn't realize how excellent that card was! OK, glued it back. works perfectly. :sigh in relief: amazing that it survived the accident, as some chips had been exposed to dangerous stuff for a while...

so, this is a very nice card with a slim antennae (!) with a nice colour that goes fine with a lot of my hpc's, and it is an absolutely standard prism, unlike the dlink 660, etc. ah yes i got disappointed in the dlink when it refused to work on one of my CE2 machines! also the senao isnt compatible with it on my wibook so the dlink can't be an absolutely standard prism lol. (lol, what is absolutely standard? yeah, the one that works on every hpc with the prism drivers. now my compaq's are strange though ... no prism card will ever work in them?!)
ok back to senao, its only disadvantage is that its signal sensitivity is a little worse than the dlink. (this is because it's slim..) hmm and i also like it that the light on the led gets continuous instantly when it sees a network. even before it's fully connected (getting the IP and all that bs). not all cards are like this! perfect for wardriving hahaha.

the dlink (d-link dcf660w) is a very good card too, the signal strength is nice with it! but i heard the dcf650w is even better in this respect. must try one out...

orinoco: very good signal again! too bad it's pcmcia that's why i sold mine..

don't recommend: pretec, sensitivity is bad and not the best for war driving anyway (the led on it... grr)
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 11