x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Software Control of PC Card?

Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-03-04 12:32 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Here's a dilemma aching for a solution.

If your machine is working on a batttery, you don't leave your pc card in all the time. But taking it in and out, in and out can't be good for either the card or the slot.

Is there any way to activate the card via software rather than physical installation? Meaning you could leave the card in, but not have it draining the battery.

Probably impossible, but food for thought nonetheless.

Jake
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-03-04 12:38 PM
#
The Linux ports can do this, so there may be some Windows CE way of doing it.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-04 1:22 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Jake - 2006-03-04 6:32 PM

Here's a dilemma aching for a solution.

If your machine is working on a batttery, you don't leave your pc card in all the time. But taking it in and out, in and out can't be good for either the card or the slot.

Is there any way to activate the card via software rather than physical installation? Meaning you could leave the card in, but not have it draining the battery.

Probably impossible, but food for thought nonetheless.

Jake

the more decent drivers will allow for this. prism drivers & bluetooth drivers too. what pc card are you using?
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-03-04 4:31 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I'm using the Orinico Gold with J-720 drivers and Orinoco client. It has power management for low-level usage, but not an actual off-on switch for the card itself. Though the Orinoco Client does have a menu choice of"load/unload automatically," I do not think that is the same thing.

Jake
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-03-04 4:48 PM
#
H/PC Elder

A trick I learnt from PPC users is do a soft reset and then say Noooooooo..... when it asks if you want to power on the PC/CF card.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-03-04 4:50 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Interesting, takwu. My J-720 doesn't offer me that prompt after a soft reset. It simply recognizes the card and starts it up.

Jake
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-04 4:56 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Jake - 2006-03-04 10:31 PM

I'm using the Orinico Gold with J-720 drivers and Orinoco client. It has power management for low-level usage, but not an actual off-on switch for the card itself. Though the Orinoco Client does have a menu choice of"load/unload automatically," I do not think that is the same thing.

i'm surprised to hear it doesn't have this option. (i tried the orinoco only for 5 mins on CE 2.0 and then on hpc2000 before i had to sell it )

Interesting, takwu. My J-720 doesn't offer me that prompt after a soft reset. It simply recognizes the card and starts it up.

sorry but thats the default mode takwu is talking about. your card IS interesting. maybe this has to do with the load / unload automatically option?

oh, or maybe you turned that off in smalltweak?

Edited by cmonex 2006-03-04 4:59 PM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-03-04 5:19 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Hey, cmonex was right: I HAD disabled that in SmallTweaks, about four years ago, so of course I forgot

I rarely run Orinoco's Client Manager, so poking around in it now, I found some power management selections that may help alleviate the drain.

Jake
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 8