x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Best internet experience HPC or other?

1 2 3
Maul Page Icon Posted 2006-03-04 9:36 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

What would you guys say represents the best internet experience for a mobile device. I'm considering the Nokia N770. Though the reviews haven't been great, they aren't rating it based on what it is... a mobile web browser. What HPC is great with the net, or are any of them really any good?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-03-04 9:40 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I really like my MP790 for Web browsing; it's probably even better with the larger screen in the form of the "890."
 Top of the page
jpfx Page Icon Posted 2006-03-04 10:02 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I can't imagine an HPC competing with the functionality or the resolution of a 770 for browsing. I'd probably add reading some types of ebook as another thing it can do well. I'm not sure how good the email client is and I doubt the PIM functionality is much more than basic.
Most complaints appear to be about lack of memory when loading multi-megabyte web pages which would be impossible on an HPC.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-03-05 12:37 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I tried my HP 360LX with web browsing and it was nice, but I have no wifi card, so I have to use my Pocket PC sometimes..
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-05 12:38 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

jpfx - 2006-03-05 4:02 AM

I can't imagine an HPC competing with the functionality or the resolution of a 770 for browsing.

thought the 770 was only 640x360...
so whats with the 640x480, 800x480, 800x600 devices
and with IE 5.5 / 6.0 / NF 3.0 / 3.3
they probably beat the 770

Edited by cmonex 2006-03-05 12:38 AM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-03-05 7:50 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

My turn...

Hands down, the very best unit for web browsing in a HVGA device would be the Mobilepro 900C. It has a full operational IE 6.0 and can access any site...period. The only thing better in a CE device would be the Psion Netbook Pro which also has a full screen. Or any other CE device such as Sig3 that runs CE.NET 4.2 in full screen mode. The drawback of the tiny screens on other devices however would make me think the Netbook would be the overall winner.

The V4 IE browser in HPC 2000 then comes next. It is fairly functional, but is limited by many secure sites. Still on most sites it works fine.

The 770/780 and the J680 and below have V3 of IE and they are even less capable on secure sites...but still do the job for most.

The 770 is worse than the 780 for browsing because of it color limitations. Just not as many available...and it shows on some sites.

And you are right CEGeek...I popped in the 790 rom to my 880. Much much better for everything...to heck with losing the USB port...no regrets at all.

Rich

Edited by Rich Hawley 2006-03-05 7:53 AM
 Top of the page
jpfx Page Icon Posted 2006-03-05 8:04 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

cmonex - 2006-03-05 12:38 AM
thought the 770 was only 640x360...
so whats with the 640x480, 800x480, 800x600 devices
and with IE 5.5 / 6.0 / NF 3.0 / 3.3
they probably beat the 770

you're thinking of the N7710, the 770 is an 'internet tablet'.
link (euro)

So far, this is just an argument about which HPC is 'best'... which wasn't the question.

Edited by jpfx 2006-03-05 8:16 AM
 Top of the page
Maul Page Icon Posted 2006-03-05 7:31 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Well I just bought the Nokia N770 and I'm impressed. It displays in 800x480 and uses Opera 8. This is by far the best internet experience I've had on a mobile unit. The screen rocks, the operating system is so-so. Thankfully I bought this for exactly what it was intended for...mobile internet. The other functions like video and music players are pretty poor, and even the sample video they provided is not without choppiness. Trying to run more then one application is a no-no, but for surfing I don't think anything can hold a candle to it at the moment. For anyone just looking for a better internet experience I recommend the N770, but it is in no way a replacement for a full-fledged PDA or HPC.
 Top of the page
stftclmshell Page Icon Posted 2006-03-05 7:49 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I think as far as mobile, I prefer my PPC, Dell AXIM 30, running Opera 8.5 wins hands down. The load times and panning around to view the whole page on the H/PC's is just too slow.
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-03-05 8:50 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I have to second the recommendation of the Netbook Pro. It can run IE 6, NF 3.3 and Minimo .13. Minimo is very close to desktop quality browsing and is getting better all the time. The Netbook Pro's bright 800*600 screen is a joy to use, as it allows most sites to be rendered without needing to reformat the page to fit a PDA's lower resolution. The Netbook Pro also has CF, PCMCIA and SD card slots, allowing for Bluetooth, Wif and storage card use simultaneously.

If you can afford one, I highly recommend it. Just don't get taken by the frequent ebay scams for this item.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-05 9:21 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Maul - 2006-03-06 1:31 AM

Well I just bought the Nokia N770 and I'm impressed. It displays in 800x480 and uses Opera 8. This is by far the best internet experience I've had on a mobile unit. The screen rocks, the operating system is so-so. Thankfully I bought this for exactly what it was intended for...mobile internet. The other functions like video and music players are pretty poor, and even the sample video they provided is not without choppiness. Trying to run more then one application is a no-no, but for surfing I don't think anything can hold a candle to it at the moment. For anyone just looking for a better internet experience I recommend the N770, but it is in no way a replacement for a full-fledged PDA or HPC.

cool! i never talked to anyone who had a N770 (and sorry for any confusion on model numbers )
how fast is switching between different webpages (or tabs if opera is using them)? well if we're at it, what are loading times like?
just curious... i really don't think it can beat the netbook pro... netbook pro has IE6.0, also has minimo, netfront 3.3 ... and opera 8.5.

stftclmshell - 2006-03-06 1:49 AM

I think as far as mobile, I prefer my PPC, Dell AXIM 30, running Opera 8.5 wins hands down. The load times and panning around to view the whole page on the H/PC's is just too slow.

ok sorry to sound negative again but i tried opera 8.5 on a WM5 device and it wasnt any faster than IE 5.5 / 6.0 on my hpc's.
of course better than IE4!!

Edited by cmonex 2006-03-05 9:23 PM
 Top of the page
Maul Page Icon Posted 2006-03-05 10:32 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I would say an average page loads in 15 seconds or less. Faster than any other handheld device I've used.

Edited by Maul 2006-03-05 11:32 PM
 Top of the page
stftclmshell Page Icon Posted 2006-03-06 12:24 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

My Axim is ppc2003, OPERA 8.5 is faster thAn the included ie. I don't have any H/PC units that run anything higher than ie4. Trying to find an up to date unit in the U.S. is a waste of time. I have tried to buy a Netbook 4 times and each time the seller was not legit. I even tried to buy a new one and Psion won't even returm my emails or calls.

I thought the 900c would be good for my needs. After trying one I couldn't see paying all that money for the old tech screen and then have to pay for a 3rd party office suite. Sellers expect to get $600.00 or more and then the units are usually scratched on both the outside and the screen.
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-03-06 1:48 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I didn't know Opera 8.5 would run on a NB Pro. I downloaded the ppc2003 build from the opera website, but it seems to need some work (specifically aygshell exports and cellcore.dll). How can one get Opera 8.5 running on a Netbook Pro? Does anyone have a prehacked version available?
 Top of the page
ZSX Page Icon Posted 2006-03-06 6:10 AM
#
H/PC Elite

This might be pushing the limits of "handheld" but for surfing I have an old Fujitsu Stylistic LT tablet PC which runs Windows 98 SE and Firefox. I've plugged in a PCMCIA WiFi card and it makes a great, portable internet appliance. It is about the same size as my IzziPro (VGA screen), but has a screen resolution of 800x600 which makes it great for the web. Of course, it is a bit antiquated if you want it to do the stuff modern desktops do, but for web browsing on the sofa it does the trick nicely, and is really cheap to boot!

http://www.pencomputing.com/frames/textblock_fujitsu_c500.html
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 12