x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Best internet experience HPC or other?

1 2 3
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2006-03-06 9:46 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I've found the browsing experince on my Wibook is pretty darn good, I cant compare it with anything other than hpc pro units ive had, but i know it beats them hands down....
 Top of the page
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2006-03-06 12:50 PM
#
So far I've found that nothing beats Opera on my Zaurus - IE/Netfront on my PPC were pretty nice, IE under HPC2000 wasn't too bad (considering how dated it was), but Opera seems to be the most complete package that I've tried so far.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-06 1:59 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

corporate: which version of opera are you using on the C760? i tried it and i liked netfront better bc it loads pages so much faster, amazing!! opera was slow but maybe because it was version 7.25? i couldn't install 7.55, got an ipkg error. thanks if you can answer
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-06 2:02 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Maul - 2006-03-06 4:32 AM

I would say an average page loads in 15 seconds or less. Faster than any other handheld device I've used.

15 secs? decent or so so.. if we're at it, netfront on the C760 is amazingly fast but the rendering is better on IE 5.5 /6.0 with cenet.
i really would like to see that nokia once

Rocketman - 2006-03-06 7:48 AM

I didn't know Opera 8.5 would run on a NB Pro. I downloaded the ppc2003 build from the opera website, but it seems to need some work (specifically aygshell exports and cellcore.dll). How can one get Opera 8.5 running on a Netbook Pro? Does anyone have a prehacked version available?

ask rgisondi. i dont have a netbook pro, nor a prehacked version
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-03-06 9:39 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Here I am again... The only guy with a Smartbook G138 (except Ceya, who doesn't really use it?). As far as web browsing is concerned, I'd imagine it is as good as a Netbook Pro, but at about half the size and weight. Compared to a MobilePro, it is narrower sideways, and just as deep front to back. It's got an 800x480 really bright TFT screen at 7 inches (similar to Intermec 6651). It's got IE6. It's got a 17mm pitch keyboard. What more do you need?

Oh yeah, 128MB of RAM. Who says you cannot load large pages on an HPC? I even loaded the entire "desktop" thread (in the old site, using threaded view, there are no pages - all posts of the thread in one page). Switching between pages is fast too. It's not as fast as a decent PC, but definitely acceptable. I think the graphics engine is pretty good, and the StrongARM is more than enough for web browsing. I don't think an XScale is needed here.

I recently got a Sig3, which has the XScale, but only 64MB of RAM and IE5.5. It's much slower compared to the SmartBook, altho cmonex says she never had a problem with Sig3... It's possible the Linksys driver, which needed to be hacked for CE4.1, would slow things down, but I can't be sure. The same card worked just fine on CE4.2, and plenty fast in the SmartBook.

Also, SmartBook has a built-in Ethernet adapter. Pages load so fast with that I saw no difference compared to a PC. I'd assume an NE2000 PCMCIA card would do the same for Netbook Pro or 900C though. I used to have a Jornada 728 who would jump up and down in joy everytime I plugged in the Ethernet card

There is also Windows Media Player, which integrates with IE. I have used it to stream news clips on webpages. Watching TV news at the lunch table in a hotspot is a dream come true.

The only web-related complaint I still have would be incompatibility with Macromedia Flash. It works with Netbook Pro and 900C, just not Smartbook. It also works with Sig3 but the MUI breaks it. It's a mystery.

To answer to the original question: yes, an HPC can be almost identical to a PC in terms of web experience, especially with CE4.
 Top of the page
Cyberstorm Page Icon Posted 2006-03-07 4:52 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

ZSX - 2006-03-06 5:10 AM

This might be pushing the limits of "handheld" but for surfing I have an old Fujitsu Stylistic LT tablet PC which runs Windows 98 SE and Firefox. I've plugged in a PCMCIA WiFi card and it makes a great, portable internet appliance. It is about the same size as my IzziPro (VGA screen), but has a screen resolution of 800x600 which makes it great for the web. Of course, it is a bit antiquated if you want it to do the stuff modern desktops do, but for web browsing on the sofa it does the trick nicely, and is really cheap to boot!

http://www.pencomputing.com/frames/textblock_fujitsu_c500.html

After reading this about the Fujitsu, I went on eBay and tracked down a Fujitsu Stylistic 3500. I'll let you know what I think of it after it gets shipped to me. Pretty cheap really at $230 ish + shipping. (prob put something in Off-Topic since it really is). Here are specs though if you're interested;

Celeron 500mhz
10.4 tft screen
256 meg ram
15 gig hard drive
Windows 2000
usb port
pcmcia port
stylus (i understand screen writing recognition isn't that great - I'll have to see on that)

Already have a lot of different ideas as to what to do with this thing;

surf from couch
make a picture frame mount and do a screen saver with family pics.
mount in the car, use for mp3, gps nav, movie player
get HomeSeer and control my Stargate with it (stargate is a home automation controller)
etc.

Should be a fun little gadget I'm hoping... It's funny, I got my mp789 to toss in my car so I have a wifi web gadget wherever I go, however, I can't bring myself to leave it in there! I have no problem leaving this thing in there though - am I crazy or what?!

Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-03-07 11:04 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Yes you must be crazy. I would not leave such a big piece of computer equipment in the car. It's just asking for a window shatter.

Even if you lock it in the trunk every time you park the car, someone may have seen it while you were driving and followed you until you leave it there for the taking.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-08 12:22 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

takwu - 2006-03-07 3:39 AM
Oh yeah, 128MB of RAM. Who says you cannot load large pages on an HPC? I even loaded the entire "desktop" thread (in the old site, using threaded view, there are no pages - all posts of the thread in one page). Switching between pages is fast too. It's not as fast as a decent PC, but definitely acceptable. I think the graphics engine is pretty good, and the StrongARM is more than enough for web browsing. I don't think an XScale is needed here.

I recently got a Sig3, which has the XScale, but only 64MB of RAM and IE5.5. It's much slower compared to the SmartBook, altho cmonex says she never had a problem with Sig3... It's possible the Linksys driver, which needed to be hacked for CE4.1, would slow things down, but I can't be sure. The same card worked just fine on CE4.2, and plenty fast in the SmartBook.

Also, SmartBook has a built-in Ethernet adapter. Pages load so fast with that I saw no difference compared to a PC. I'd assume an NE2000 PCMCIA card would do the same for Netbook Pro or 900C though. I used to have a Jornada 728 who would jump up and down in joy everytime I plugged in the Ethernet card

To answer to the original question: yes, an HPC can be almost identical to a PC in terms of web experience, especially with CE4.

we agree about the conclusion! my sig3 is almost identical to a PC too hehe...

hmm but you said earlier that the smartbook isnt as fast with loading pages as a xp pc, did you discover some trick?
anyway the netbook pro i saw was indeed almost as fast as a PC.. almost...

btw i tried dillo on the zaurus and it ran so fast even under "emulation" (x running on top of qtopia! that does slow things down!!), that yes it is as fast as a PC. just the rendering isn't always perfect pages load in like 2-3 seconds. or less if you use x natively, i'd imagine so at least... no hpc is as fast as this

btw yeah no problem with sig3 here regarding surfing speed over wifi. gprs is another matter because of my darn bluetooth driver.

edit: forgot to answer your question:

What more do you need?

i need another slot, not just the single CF slot, and a user replaceable battery with a little more capacity.
other than that, i'd buy a smartbook asap.
but this way it can never be a main hpc for me too bad really, why did they spoil it with that...

Edited by cmonex 2006-03-08 12:26 AM
 Top of the page
Cyberstorm Page Icon Posted 2006-03-08 12:42 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

takwu - 2006-03-07 10:04 PM

Yes you must be crazy. I would not leave such a big piece of computer equipment in the car. It's just asking for a window shatter.

Even if you lock it in the trunk every time you park the car, someone may have seen it while you were driving and followed you until you leave it there for the taking.

True, I'll have to go for a "stealth" install. Never use that center console much anyway, perhaps I can "modify" it... hmmm.... I'll have to see once I get the thing.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-08 4:02 AM
#
H/PC Elder

A bit off topic but I will probably mount my Amity tablet in my car. I'm less worried about loosing it than one of my hpcs. Of course, I'll try to stealth it somehow.

Top of the page
rudytutti Page Icon Posted 2006-03-08 5:22 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello,
(am I in the right place or should I start a new thread?)

I'm thinking of getting an H/PC but have some questions first. When online will I be able to search a secure site's database? I'm going to do some free-lance shopping and will need to check by phone or online to see if an item I found is one they want. Will I be able to do that on an H/PC? Which version of CE would I need at a min?

I've been checking out Jornadas, MobilePros, Clios, etc. Any suggestions for what I should get? My budget's limited to no more than ~$150 right now. Is that doable?

Also I might want to connect a pen scanner to the unit, through IR or serial. And I'm partial to touchscreens. (Didn't know if that would make a difference in your suggestions.)

Thanks for your help.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-08 5:23 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

for 150$ you wont get a hpc that will do what you want.

for that money, get a very old laptop maybe?
 Top of the page
rudytutti Page Icon Posted 2006-03-08 5:23 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Okaay. What kind of hpc, specs, etc would I need and what kind of ballpark are we playing in for the cost? I have a PII laptop, but with all the booting up time it takes might not work out. Plus I need something smaller.

I have 2 Psions (a Revo and a 5mx) but I haven't gotten into connecting with the Internet yet. Also, my sister and I both need to access databases on the 'net, so I thought an hpc would be better for her since it's a familiar look.

Thanks.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-08 5:29 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Sub-Posts moved at user request

I agree whole hertedly with CmoneX. What you are asking for here is not going to be easily possible for $150 US. You will want to get a Windows CE 4.2 or 5.0 device, and effectively these just do not grow on trees for that sort of money. If you want a Clamshell you will need to look at the MobilePro 900C, otherwise larger sub-note devices such as the Netbook Pro exist.
Certificate and SSL reliability cannot be guarenteed under anything older than CE 4.2: however do understand that I am not saying here that HPC2000, CE4.0 or 4.1 will be completely unable to connect to your site. The only way to asscertain that is simply to test it, or give one of us the information and ask us to test it for you.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 12:17 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

cenet 4.1 is as good with SSL as 4.2
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 12