x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Still learning each day

wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-07 1:04 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I hosed my Win95 installation on my Amity tablet today.

I had a ghost image on d: of the Amity but no way to boot the machine. I don't have a dock for my Amity, and there's no external floppy port. I had resigned myself to pulling the hdd from the Amity and ghosting in on another machine. Not a terrible job but I've never had the Amity apart.

Well, guess what I stumbled on? My Libretto pcmcia floppy drive let me boot from a floppy and run ghost. The Libretto floppy only works in the bottom pcmcia slot. If I had the Amity manual I might have known this sooner.

Anyway, I fixed up my Amity in a blink. I don't have much fear anymore of hosing it if something goes wrong.

I learn something new every day, and this was a good thing to learn.

Top of the page
stftclmshell Page Icon Posted 2006-03-07 8:12 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Cool! I have one of the Libretto floppy drives, as well. I'll try it on my C-500.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-03-07 12:24 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Wow, that's nice. I have an old Pentium MMX laptop (Panasonic CF-A44) with no floppy or CD drive (both proprietary). I wonder if it can boot off of a PCMCIA drive like that. It would make life much easier. I DID take it apart to upgrade the harddrive, and installed a clean Win98se on it while I was at it. But I'm not particular keen on doing that again.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-07 2:51 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Nice discovery, unusual too!
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-08 2:28 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I always imagined the Toshiba floppy was somehow proprietary to the Librettos so I never bothered trying it in other machines till yesterday.

It's good to know it works on other machines. Pulling drives is no fun for updates.

Of course, I'll be carrying the pcmcia floppy around with me to try it on friends machines for kicks.

If this little tidbit saves someone time and frustration it's worth it
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-08 8:27 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

heh, i had such a floppy for my old subnote (yes it boots from it just fine)

btw how could you hose win95 so fast? guess its not too stable. it was OK for me for 1.5 years but all my needs were email & irc & irc & irc. oh and a little word processing. nothing else (how happy would i have been with a J720 )

Edited by cmonex 2006-03-08 8:28 AM
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-08 9:50 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Au contraire, I find 95 is pretty stable doing routine things. I could go for quite a while without crashes or reboots in the 'ole days.

Now you mention it, I don't remember what I did to hose 95. It was late at night, that I remember, and probably something incredibly stupid.

Pretty short memory eh? My attention span is the same sometimes. I wonder how I manage to accomplish anything.

How's the hacker's guide to hex-editing going ? j/k
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.141 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 8