x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Unfaithful :(

wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-07 1:36 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I rarely use my desktop to browse, even though it sits 5 feet away. Any one of my many hpcs is more comfortable to use from the couch.

However, since my return home I haven't used my hpcs for posting or reading here, or anywhere else for that matter. I've been using my Amity.

There's no doubt its 133mhz 486 smokes any of my hpcs for browsing speed, and the Amity screen is only beaten by the 6651 or SL4.

The Amity would be just about perfect for the couch if I had a small ps/2 keyboard. I looked on ebay and I don't want a gummy bear keyboard. Anyone know of a cheap but decent 7-9" long ps/2 keyboard?

Does the hpc bug disappear as quickly as it appeared? I hope not....
 Top of the page
stftclmshell Page Icon Posted 2006-03-07 8:06 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Try; www.outpost.com
AKA, Fry's.
I bought one for my C-500 for $14.95. It had the usual 42" cord which I cut to 12-13" and re-attached to the board internally.
This one is more like 12-13" long. I didn't see anything in their store much smaller.
Let me know if you can't find one, I can pick one up for you and drop it in the mail.

Edited by stftclmshell 2006-03-07 8:09 AM
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-03-07 12:34 PM
#
H/PC Elder

wally, I also prefer my Picturebook over the HPC sometimes. I recently upgrade the RAM from 256MB to 384MB, and now it's working quite smoothly. I'm planning to spend a hundred or less on a 5400RPM harddrive for it, and then it will be as fast as I need it be, running XP Home too. Standby/resume takes only 5 to 8 seconds, making it a very plausible alternative to HPCs...

If it wasn't for the money issue, the OQO would be in place of my Sig3 for everyday carrying
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2006-03-07 3:56 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Despite carrying an array of handhelds, I still HAVE to carry a laptop, due to the nature of my work. HPCs would never be big enough, able enough or have the processing power to be able to do any 3D graphical work. It does make my bag rather heavy however, and it also means that I cannnot fit the bag in many luggage racks!
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-03-07 10:57 PM
#
H/PC Elder

stftclmshell, isn't that USB? wally needs a small PS/2 keyboard.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-08 12:28 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2006-03-07 7:36 AM

I rarely use my desktop to browse, even though it sits 5 feet away. Any one of my many hpcs is more comfortable to use from the couch.

However, since my return home I haven't used my hpcs for posting or reading here, or anywhere else for that matter. I've been using my Amity.

There's no doubt its 133mhz 486 smokes any of my hpcs for browsing speed, and the Amity screen is only beaten by the 6651 or SL4.

The Amity would be just about perfect for the couch if I had a small ps/2 keyboard. I looked on ebay and I don't want a gummy bear keyboard. Anyone know of a cheap but decent 7-9" long ps/2 keyboard?

Does the hpc bug disappear as quickly as it appeared? I hope not....

you serious?! no no no

and how can a 486 be faster than a hpc??? icannot imagine that! what OS are you using on it?!

you'll see if the keyb is not integrated it is not as comfortable as a hpc...!
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-08 2:18 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Well then, I guess it's just a phase I'm going through then. My Amity collected dust for too long and I was mildly surprised how well it browses wirelessly, considering the cpu. Win95 may not be new but it runs well on the Amity. Maybe too well.

Thanks for the keyboard offer stfcclmshell, I'll let you know if I don't find something small myself. IIRC, Radio Shack had a mini ps/2 keyboard collecting dust in the back. I'll check it out sometime this week. (Nice Fujitsu btw, had I spare $$$ I'd consider one myself.)

I still appreciate all my hpcs can do and really enjoy them still. I bought them with long term in mind and pretty much intend to hold onto them until they're old and grey
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-08 8:23 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

phase?

well i did try out a jasjar recently for 1 day, also i got a zaurus C760

just found out that i left the subnote (yea i got it back, i can buy it if i wish so ... probably won't though) in standby for the whole night and morning, without AC. i got it back from standby and the battery had 88% of power left. i was so surprised. lol.

but none of these can replace the hpc for me... i need something better than these alternatives. so i stick with hpc's
 Top of the page
P.E.I. Page Icon Posted 2006-03-08 9:03 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

This is $29. http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?T1=138+0245&dept=&search=&child= I bought the usb version for my pen centra.
 Top of the page
stftclmshell Page Icon Posted 2006-03-08 9:27 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

That keyboard, in the pic, is PS2.
I feel that the H/PC can't be beaten for word work, simple spreadsheets and contacts management.
On the other hand, the hassles of crappy browser and limited printer support are a pain.
With the little Fujitsu I can work on the 720 or 790 and shoot the docs etc. over to the tablet for storage, printing or emailing.
Yesterday I used the combo to back up all the data from a worksite 'puter to the Fujitsu. The cool part was the FUJI was in my truck 200' away.
On my way to my next stop I parked in front of a motel, that has open wifi, and uploaded the data to our office server.

My collection was kind of getting out of hand, so I sold my NEC Ready120 and the 820 to pay for the C-500. The Pencentra 200 has been setup at a jobsite for the crew to use for checklists, service logs and the customer signs the dailly work invoices, "on screen". I setup an 800 at the shop for the crew leaders to access the MSDS DATABASE, check and update training records and log in time off requests for crew members.

I guess I'm not being totally unfaithful, just being a bit of a, " 'puter slut" !

Edited by stftclmshell 2006-03-08 9:28 AM
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-08 9:31 AM
#
H/PC Elder

It's just a touch too large for my liking. Their USB model is much smaller, but USB.

IIRC geeks.com (?) had a nice folding ps/2 mini board a year ago for $20. I should have loaded up then. Oh well, if I could predict the future....

The hunt continues. I'll swing by RS today if I have time.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-09 7:54 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Well, I lucked out sort of today.

I stopped at Radio Shack (the source) and they had a mini ps/2 board for $10. It's smaller than the external leyboard for a 720, or about the same size as the keyboard on a Mobilepro. Actually it's 8 3/4" wide and the key spacing is OK.

However, and this is weird. When I boot up 95 the keyboard works fine. If I open a dos window it works fine. If I cold-start to dos the keyboard isn't recognized. I can unplug it and plug in a regular keyboard which works.

I've never heard of a Windows only ps/2 keyboard. Any ideas?
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-10 3:57 AM
#
H/PC Elder

The same thing happens when I try the keyboard on any of my Librettos. It's not recognized when I boot to DOS, it only works in Windows or a DOS box.

I'm stymied. I've never seen a keyboard do this.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-11 11:18 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

maybe the keyboard doesnt want you to forget hpc's
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.189 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 11