x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

2 Networking problems

RLW
RLW Page Icon Posted 2006-03-08 12:57 PM
#
I've got two odd problems with networking. One is an error message on the Jornada, the other has to do with ActiveSync. I searched the forums (fora?) and also googled for these errors, but didn't have any luck.

Here's my network setup:

I've got a stock Jornada 720 (H/PC 2000), LinkSys WPC-11 (although it's referred to as a WCF11 on the 720). I had to hard-code the IP address on the WPC11 - DHCP didn't seem to work (even though it's enabled on my access point). The AP/router (DLink DI604) is 192.168.169.1 and is set up as the gateway. DNS is the same IP (...169.1). WINS server is 192.168.169.2 (a Linux box running Samba with WINS turned on). The 720's system name is "Jornada".

The Linux box has a hard-coded IP (the ...169.2). The host system (running XP) has a DHCP-assigned IP (comes from the DLink AP, and is ...169.206, currently).

Problem 1:

I keep getting an error message on the 720 that says "Error registering name on network (may be duplicate). Change in communications control panel and try again."

I've looked at the communications control panel, and everything seems to be OK. I can browse the web with IE4, I can send/receive SMTP/POP3 email with the email applet. I can also sync (from the 720) over the network (more about that below). The error occurs randomly -- sometimes every couple of minutes, other times with longer intervals (up to 1/2 hour).

Problem 2:

I can sync if I initiate it from the Jornada, but not when I initiate a sync from the "host".

When I first set up the 720, I had BOTH a USB connection (from the dock) AND the wireless connection. I've since disabled the USB (just pulled it out of the dock. ActiveSync seems to work OK thru the wireless connection if I start it from the 720 side. If I start it from the host PC (Win XP Home), it scans USB and COM, but not "network" (although USB and COM are disabled on the config page, and the "use network" box is checked). I'm running the version of ActiveSync that came on the CD with the 720 (version 3.1, build 9587).

Mostly, I've found just speculation on these problems doing google searches -- haven't found anything in this forum that refers to the error message. Any ideas or help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

RLW
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-08 1:21 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

1) Sounds like a DNS / WINS registration issue. Are you changing the IP at all?
You could try changing the machine name in the communications applet to a different value. I would spend the time trying to tackle the DHCP issue mind, as inexorably it will sort this out too.

2) ActiveSync can only scan for locally attached devices. It does not search the LAN - if it did it on a corporate network, imagine how many WinCE devices it would pick-up and try and sync with. With a LAN connection you have to initialise the comms from the H/PC.
Please upgrade the AS install to the latest 3.x version, 3.1 isn't XP compatible and lacks USB enhancements + Office 2002+ support: http://www.hpcfactor.com/qlink/?linkID=7
 Top of the page
RLW
RLW Page Icon Posted 2006-03-10 11:57 PM
#
1) Sounds like a DNS / WINS registration issue. Are you changing the IP at all? ...

2) ActiveSync can only scan for locally attached devices.

C:Amie,

Thanks for your help.

(1) - It WAS a WINS problem. Evidently, the Samba server on my Linux box doesn't play well with the HPC WINS requests. I removed the WINS server address from the IP configuration and the error message went away. Names seem to be resolved correctly, too.

(2) - Upgrading to ActiveSync 3.8 fixed the sync problems, and it makes sense that one doesn't want to scan an entire class A 10.0.0.x block to look for one lousy HPC! (Although, it might make more sense to have a place in ActiveSync to register a name or IP address of the HPC in question!).

Thanks again,

RLW
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-11 7:24 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

An interesting idea, however you couldn't really rely upon static IP addressing for such requests, so it would have to be done on the MAC level. This of course leaves it open to exploit, and requires that CE have a server module on it to listen. Effectively still inviting people to probe the H/PC.

Glad you got it sussed, I hope you'll stick around the community.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 11