x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Mobilon 4100/Orinoco Gold/Wireless AS Trouble

Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-03-08 10:26 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I have one of those weird AS wireless problems with my Sharp Mobilon 4100, CE 2.0 MIPS/Orinoco Agere Gold Classic, and so will give out more information than probably is necessary:

With the same card, I can wireless activesync on my Jornada 720 on a XP Pro Dell laptop with built-in wireless and a LinkSys WRT54 router with these specs on the J's Orinoco Driver:

IP: 192.168.1.**
subnet: 255.255.255.0
default gateway: 192.168.1.1 (which is the router's address)
primary DNS 192.168.1.1
No WINS addresses at all

On the J-720 in the registry in Hosts, I only have an old Host name for a computer I no longer sync with.

Following the HPC clear tutorials, I've used the same specs with the Mobilon (but changing the Mobilon's IP address to a slightly higher number), even recreating the defunct host in the registry, and I'm still not getting an AS connection that has worked with both IR and Serial.

I ipconfiged XP, found that my IP address is 192.168.1.100 with the 255.255.255.0 subnet and 192.168.1.1 for default gateway. My XP Pro does not list a host name though I've named that computer "jakfish" in my home network.

I have a Symantic firewall, to which I've added my J-720's IP address, and when I tried to add my Mobilon's IP, Symantic said it was already added, something I don't understand.

With my Mobilon, I can access my laptop, get Internet, sync Avantgo, etc. all through the router.

But when I put the laptop's IP of 192.168.1.1 in the Mobilon's Primary WINs, I still can't sync AND the insertion prevents both my networking and Mobilon internet access. And for some reason, I need a primary DNS of 192.168.1.1

Sorry to go on and on, yet I'm sure I've left out some vital number. I would appreciate any help in resolving this.

Jake
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-03-08 11:34 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Success. Hadn't realized that when you ipconfig/all, a lot of information is off-screen, including my host name. From there, I went to the expert CESD-C-0014 and let it tutor me.

Strange rubs, though. While LinkSys says its router's IP is 192.168.1.1, IPconfig lists it as 192.168.1.100, which make a big difference to the Host's hex value. Anybody stumbling on this in the future: go with IPconfig.

Secondly, putting the IP address in Primary WINS slows things down tremendously. Twenty seconds to get to connect my Mobilon to laptop's c: drive, Internet slow to connect as well.

Then I simply removed the Primary WINS address, rebooted the Mobilon, and now it AS-syncs with no slow-down of network/'net.

I wish I knew why

Jake
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 8