x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Strange Ebay incident - opinions needed

1 2 3
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-09 5:38 PM
#
H/PC Elder

So,

I was bidding on a item at the last minute. I didn't win, no big deal, but within 2 minutes of the auction ending the item was relisted.

WTH? How can that be?

Is there software to automatically list items after an auction ends if you're a vendor?

I thought the vendor has to sell the item to the winning bid no matter what if there's no reserve. So how can the item get relisted within a minute of the auction ending?

My opinion, it was the vendor bidding against me to drive up the price and he won the auction, so he immediately relisted it. That's not supposed to happen is it?

What are your opinions? Any way around this problem?

Top of the page
jjaff90 Page Icon Posted 2006-03-09 5:59 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Maybe the winner backed out? I don't know, maybe you're right.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-09 6:07 PM
#
H/PC Elder

How could the winner back out in a minute? I'm going to watch the vendors feedback and see if he gets any for the item he supposedly sold.

No feedback, no sale. Then I'll pass this tidbit on to ebay and see what they make of it. I like to support honest ebay vendors and fry the crooks. They give everyone a bad name.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-09 6:16 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Are you 100% that it was the same item, and it isn't the case that he had two of them and used "list similar" (so as not to flood the market so to speak)
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-09 7:05 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I'm 100% sure. There's a "view relisted item" button and it showed up immediately after the auction ended.

I'll try again on the item and pay more attention this time to the who the last-minute sniper is. I'm also keeping my eye on the vendors feedback and I guess I should look up the buyer as well and see if a connection is there.

edit: So far no feedback left by the vendor for the buyer. I know it's early but I usually try to pay for my items the next business day after I win them.

Edited by wallythacker 2006-03-09 7:13 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-09 7:08 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Very strange indeed. Can't explain it from my own experiences.
 Top of the page
SueNY Page Icon Posted 2006-03-09 7:10 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

The seller probably had more than one of the item to sell so he relisted immediately. It's not unusual. There is a Jornada seller who regularly lists 720's with a BIN and 5 available. As soon as the last one sells he's got a new listing with 5 more. He must have gotten a big stash from a large company or something.

Sue
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2006-03-09 7:11 PM
#
Yes, I'm pretty sure there's LOTS of eBay sellers who bid(or have other people bid) on their own item just to raise the price of the item. It just makes sense that crooked sellers will do these things to rip other people off. It shouldn't happen, but it does.
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2006-03-09 7:15 PM
#
SueNY - 2006-03-09 4:10 PM

He must have gotten a big stash from a large company or something.

Sue

Believe it or not, that "Large Company" very well might be HP itself. Ever since the Jornadas were discontinued, HP seems to be doing strange things with all of the leftover units...
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-09 7:15 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I'm pretty sure Toshiba America used an employee as their front man to sell overstock ppcs a couple years ago. It was pretty transparent. Weird though because you could also buy online from Toshiba America at the same time. I guess Toshiba got the money no matter who sold the item.

Time will tell as I try again this weekend...

Edited by wallythacker 2006-03-09 7:19 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-03-09 7:17 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

If the reserve price wasn't met, you can automatically relist the item. You cannot withdraw any bids made during the last hour of the auction. We need some auction numbers, the original and the relisted one to verify...

Rich
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-09 7:20 PM
#
H/PC Elder

That's what I thought. No fooling around during the last hour of the auction.

If I post the listing numbers are you sharks going to snatch it out from under my nose ?

Edited by wallythacker 2006-03-09 7:22 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-09 7:38 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker, yu've gone through the 1000 post barrier, congrats.

I wont be snatching anything from anyone
 Top of the page
jpfx Page Icon Posted 2006-03-09 7:56 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I saw an auction end prematurely a few days ago with only a few minutes to go. I got the impression the buyer killed the auction somehow because they weren't going to make as much $ as they anticipated. I was just setting up my sniper... refreshed and the auction had ended.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-09 7:58 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Hey, you're right. I smashed the sound barrier! But I did it on a Windows box, not a hpc. I'll make sure to use a hpc for the 2000 mark.

Thanks!
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 11