x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HP620LX and IrDA max sync speed 9600, can I get better than this?

1 2
Britty
Britty Page Icon Posted 2006-03-11 9:20 AM
#
Interesting. I installed the 7MB file and as far as I know, it didn't do anything significant. It added a new entry into my control panel for install shield and controlled auto download of USB-SIR drivers, and a monitor program I assume for looking at general driver operation (?) but trying to update driver of the device found no new entries. Trying to force update found no new driver entries either. Uninstalling the device and reinstalling and force updating was the same. Not even a reference to a MCS7784

The unit still only finds my old SF-620 driver as the only valid entry. I'm scratching my head about now.

Tracked down the moschip site, they have an MCS7784 driver there, going to follow that lead now.

Now I am more intrigued than anything else, wondering where all this will end up.

Edited by Britty 2006-03-11 9:25 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-11 9:22 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

MosChip Semi have a 7784 driver available for Windows 2000/XP which is WHQL signed by Microsoft:
http://www.moschip.com/data/products/MCS7784/MCS7784_XP_WHQL.zip

If neither of these work, it means that someone has stepped into the middle and changed the PnP ID's on the hardware chip. Which basically means you're in trouble.
 Top of the page
Britty
Britty Page Icon Posted 2006-03-11 9:43 AM
#
Wouldn't you know it.

"The specified location contains no information at your hardware" the prompt box gleefully told me when I pointed to the MCS7784 driver .

I think this is the end of the line somehow. This IrDA is mutton dressed up as lamb it seems. A bait and switch has been done somewhere. and I'm the clownfish that took the bait.

All I can say is anyone who is looking for an IrDA do NOT deal with the vendor I linked to earlier in the thread. I didn't lose much money, it's just an inconvenience and I guess it could be worse....the unit may not have worked at all. 9600 baud was feasible at least to get the 620 kickstarted. I guess I am stuck at having 9600 as my highest useable speed with this IrDA

Thank god for LAN sync though and thanks C:Amie for all your time and effort trying to get to the bottom of this. I plan on hanging around for a while. It's a really helpful community from what I have seen thus far add to that I seem to have caught the HPC bug since I got this little unit working.

I bet in another week I'll be chanting that I don't know how I ever lived without one
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-11 10:09 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

In the Windows device manager, if you pull up the properties for the USb IR adapter, open the details tab, what do you see lited for it?
It looks similar to the attached.

Top of the page
Britty
Britty Page Icon Posted 2006-03-11 10:27 AM
#
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-11 10:45 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Yep, they've changed the identification ID's... so it is no wonder the reference drivers aren't working.
I keep going back around in a big loop, arriving at http://www.sun-usb.com each time. They seem to be the people causing the problem by offering import/export reselling.

Due to the MosSir driver being WHQL, I can't rewrite it with your devices strings.
The only other thing I can suggest it to try it on Windows 95/98/Millennium if you have access to a system with it on. Often you see different results under that OS. Aside from that, may be investing in WiFi / Bluetooth is an option if you need the faster speed.
 Top of the page
Britty
Britty Page Icon Posted 2006-03-11 11:00 AM
#
Well I can't say I'm surprised that the ID has been altered although I'm a bit confused as to why they would do go to all this trouble to begin with. After going through all this I feel relieved that I stumbled across a driver that at least was compatible enough to allow the first synch where I could load everything onto the 620 to get it network functional.

I don't have any machines here or anyone that I know who still uses 95/98/ME anymore. I'm happy with the LAN alternative as it is now. It's more than fast enough for sync and file exchange. I'm just thinking if I ever faced a hard reset that I'll have to go through it all again with the ultra slow IrDA.

Thanks again for all your investigations. Going to go do some non computery things for a while. Cheers.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-11 11:52 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

They change the ID's because the sun company who manufactures the devices sells them to other resellers. Each reseller doesn't want their device to pop-up as "sun ir adapter" they want it to pop up in Windows as "reseller ir adapter". In order to do that you have to change the firmware ID.

You may be interested in the last point in this article and the related CESD, it will save you the bother of what you outlined in the future:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/qlink/?linkID=133
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.300 - Cached queries : 43 - Executed queries : 31