x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Linux Dual boot + wireless stat in Linux + 802.1x questions in WinCE (newbie)

weblacky Page Icon Posted 2006-03-11 3:04 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Hi all,

**************A little about myself (feel free to skip)*****************

I am new to HPCs (havent yet received my j720) and winCE in general.

But Ive held off on getting a PDA because (A. I am still a college student and did not really need a PDA and B. I wanted it be fully supported under Linux for when the built-in OS goes obsolete) I think the j720 fits that bill so Ive been reading everything I can get my hands on about HPCs in general and the j720 specifically.

*************End of the About myself section*********************

I did have a couple questions and I hope I am in the right area, as they are kind of all over the place.

Question 1:

I was wondering about dual booting Linux. I was looking forward to trying the Familiar distro for the j720 as I can start being productive (PIM) immediately but I'm also an experienced Linux user (~10 yrs) and have been using debian for almost two years (was redhat beforenever looked back!).

So Id like to actually try both Familiar and 720Degrees! So the real issue is the Linuxexec partition naming. Id be fine have three partitions on my CF/MD: FAT with personal files, loader, backups and two Linux ext2 partitions (probably reuse the same swap file in the only one partition) for both distros.

So how do you tell the loader what partition the kernel should be mounting? Ive vaguely seen a naming scheme in the CE where you put a number after the storage identifier in CE to refer to another partition but Ive not seen anything concrete.

Question(s) 2:

My second question(s) is about the wireless. Ive already got several WPC11 v3 and Senao cards so I think I'm set for cards. I am also very familiar with wpa_supplicant and linux so I do not see any problems there; I assume wpa_supplicant works in 720Degrees, right? But what does winCE have?

But I assume we are SOL when it comes to even TKIP WPA on winCE?

Since I have an HP Procurve 420 access point I do have the ability to create multiple AP profiles. For my older OSes I use 802.1x WEP. Does winCE 3.0 (HPC2000) have a RADIUS supplicant so I could use the wireless with my access point? Id rather not put a whole you could drive a truck through on my network just so the j720 (winCE) can connect

Opinions?

Thanks, Josh
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.141 - Cached queries : 58 - Executed queries : 9