x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-03-12 3:03 AM
#
Hi,

Does anyone know how to add a boot-splash screen to a Linux distribution (mainly JLime). The idea is to make a newbie-friendly version, and the boot-up display is a bit intimindating for new users.

Any ideas?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-12 7:40 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It's certainly possible to do it, I have seen them before many many times. I managed to find this guide on adding one to LiLo:
http://home.arcor.de/tbleicher/linux/bootlogo.html
 Top of the page
weblacky Page Icon Posted 2006-03-12 6:17 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Well I do not know about the bootsplash project but a new boot splash project called "splashy" might work. It only requires you to use a FB driver and the rest is done with a kernel service. However I do not know if it can be compiled for non-x86 platforms....but it might.

Splashy Project
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2006-03-12 6:42 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I've played with bootsplash, as i use gentoo, and i got to add my own bootsplash bar to the distro, so it's certainly possible, as long as the binaries can be ported to ARM. the rest of the infrastructure for bootsplash support is built in the kernel fb driver, so if you see a little tux in the top-left corner when you boot, then most of the work is already done.
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-03-13 7:48 AM
#
Tux is in the corner, so thats a good sign.

Thanks for the help...
 Top of the page
PocketDVD Page Icon Posted 2006-03-13 9:53 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Dig around on forums.gentoo.org, they have numerous things listed for bootsplash and other eyecandy (progressbar at startup, framebuffer background on the console etc.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 7:27 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Snickersmd and I have been bickering a bit on this one. BootSplash looks good, but would need to be rewritten to use our framebuffer. The gpe one needs gtk, which drives me crazy.

Splashy? Neither of us have checked that out yet..
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.139 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 10