x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

jjaff90 Page Icon Posted 2006-03-12 10:56 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

I think my next handheld type might be a Libretto. I do have 1 question: Is it possible to transfer my HD full of programs and data etc to an external device and then to the Libretto? Like, after doing that, will I be able to use the programs as they are where I got them from (my other computer)?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-03-12 1:13 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Data files...yes. Programs, no. Most programs when installed use different components that are installed depending on the OS version, and are located in many different parts of the hard drive, plus that doesn't even mention any registry changes that take place on installation.

But your Word documents and Excel files and other data files should transfer over just fine. Would you get one of the new ones, or are you talking about the older ones like the CT50 or CT75?

Rich
 Top of the page
jjaff90 Page Icon Posted 2006-03-12 7:08 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

a u105

Damn so there's no way I could place my programs somewhere and retrieve them with the Libretto?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-12 7:52 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

don't be so lazy!

the u105 is larger than the J720
 Top of the page
jjaff90 Page Icon Posted 2006-03-12 7:54 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

How am I being lazy? I spent like $350 on programs and I want to use them on the Libretto. Also, the Libretto's screen is less than an inch bigger than the J720 and the Libretto weighs 2 pounds while running a full fledged version of XP Pro.

So there is no way that I could send my programs to the Libretto?
 Top of the page
stftclmshell Page Icon Posted 2006-03-12 8:39 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Only by "cloning or ghosting" your old drive to the new one. A difficult job to complete. It is Easy to transfer, almost impossible to get the programs to all run on the new box. They don't get registered correctly , due to the new machine not being the same.

I would try;
Use Partition Magic etc. to create a new partition on your new unit
Install Norton GHOST on the old unit
pull your new hard drive and install to a USB external box
Use Ghost to clone your progs and data to the new drive
install drive to new unit
say 5 Hail Mary's, rub your lucky rabbit's foot, consult a voodoo witchdoctor, avoid black cats, donate to a new charity....... just trying to get your karma in a receiving mode, you might even need to kiss an ugly baby

Go ahead, boot it, it will all be there, and some progs may run, maybe, I think, weirder things have happened.

BTW, if you lunch your new drive, I didn't force you to do this.

I find it simpler to just pull out the CD's and install the progs to the new unit.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-12 10:17 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

jjaff90 - 2006-03-13 1:54 AM

How am I being lazy? I spent like $350 on programs and I want to use them on the Libretto. Also, the Libretto's screen is less than an inch bigger than the J720 and the Libretto weighs 2 pounds while running a full fledged version of XP Pro.

So there is no way that I could send my programs to the Libretto?

sorry for saying this but who cares if you use your apps on two machines...
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-03-12 11:38 PM
#
H/PC Elder

jjaff90 - 2006-03-12 4:54 PM

I spent like $350 on programs and I want to use them on the Libretto.

If you bought the programs, you should have the installation CDs (or something), and you should use them to install the programs on your new PC.

BTW the Libretto's keyboard is somehow harder to type on than the Jornada's, even tho the key size are about the same. The key shapes are too flat, so I cannot find their center points by touch. The result is more frequent errors, sometimes skidding and sometimes missing. But then keyboarding is quite personal. So best to try it yourself.

Also the Libretto's screen is about 4 times as dense as the Jornada's. Libretto screen is about 207 dpi, whereas Jornada is about 106 dpi. What it means is that the same image would appear 4 times larger on the Jornada screen compared to the Libretto. However the Libretto screen can simulate (scale) to a lower resolution, making things appear bigger, only losing a bit of clarity.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2006-03-13 4:42 AM
#
H/PC Elder

jjaff90, dun mind it. Some of us do care.

As Rich mentioned, data is easily transferred while programs a bit tougher, though not impossible. It does not matter that you are transferring to a libretto. Even with two identical machines, it may not be easy. In the case of identical machines, cloning using ghost as stftclmshell mentioned would do the job easily. Some mobo or hw drivers from this image may not be a perfect fit in libretto and in certain cases, will cause a BSOD. You can mostly recover from it by repairing the windows installation using the original CD. With XP, there is even a repair option so that you do not loose your settings.

But I doubt you want to run XP on a libretto unless its the newest U series. If your original data/program is from an XP system, I think you can even try a in place replacement of the hdd or the cloning method mentioned above. And if the mobo hw drivers freak out, try the repair. I am assuming your U105 would have the necessary CDs for additional apps that come with it.

Should not be a problem.

oh, I cannot remember if cloning using Ghost require your source and destination hdd to be the same size. I think not. Make sure you check with Norton first.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 11