x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Annoying Recording/Microphone

sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-01-01 11:21 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Ugh I tried recording yesterday, and I noticed that when I talked the microphone got a lot of static in the recording. I tested for 2in. to 3ft, and in the recording there was no static until I started talking, and then my voice was almost masked by static - still clear though. I tried all the different formats too - it didn't do this when I first got it. Could dropping it really affect the microphone like that? The recording is clear but strangely static.

Another thing, I found in the recording program an option to let it start recording by holding the record button-making it not completely useless. Naturally, this just opened up the program and didn't work in the slightest bit. It did wake up the device, but no record .
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-01-02 3:31 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Ok, for recording I need to be 1cm away from the microphone.

Was the program for recording the same as the one from the 680? Because that button thing just doesn't make sense.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-01-02 7:02 PM
#
H/PC Elder

hehe ... now this is one thing the NEC MP790 is kinda better. I get pretty good recording without having to snuggle up to it. I did the recording about 10~15cm away and it sounds pretty ok.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-01-03 8:24 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Like I said, it didn't use to be that way, is it possible for something as tight as a microphone could get messed up by being dropped?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-01-04 8:48 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It is certainly possible that you could have damaged the mic pickup. Or indeed the connector.
The adventureous could open it up and soulder it... however I would strongly NOT suggest you do that unless you're IEEE certified.

The noise isn't simply on the playback though? - i.e. if you play different types of music over it as a test, the noise doesn't occour.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2005-02-06 7:54 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Hmm... My NEC Mobile Gear 520 is like that too... lots of static. My PPC Cassiopeia E700WE is much better in those areas
 Top of the page
Brain_Recall
Brain_Recall Page Icon Posted 2005-02-06 2:43 PM
#
It's probably a bad solder joint with the microphone. If you're willing, probably pulling it apart and trying a differnt microphone or a resolder will tell if that's the problem. The software probably isn't the problem, if your using the PCM encoder. Mobile Voice is great, just for voice. Any background noise and you'll get digitized static.

My Jornada 680 did the following recording. (Please be kind to geocities)

http://www.geocities.com/brain_recall/The_Drunken_Electron.mp3 (256KB)

This was from my college phsysics class, the professor was on the other side of the room with about 30 students. (Funny story, if you can hear it, bad mp3 encoding. For whatever reason, I just started recording right before the story, no editing. And yes, I can't spell Drunken very well. )
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-06 3:23 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Sounds like a good Southern British lecturer you have there.

We're taking over the world! muhahaha
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2005-02-06 5:06 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

C:Amie - 2005-02-06 5:23 PM

Sounds like a good Southern British lecturer you have there.

We're taking over the world! muhahaha

LOL! We are taking over the world... at least "bit by bits"...

Brain recall,
The sound quality was pretty good though, I must admit.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-06 6:23 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

With the help of our devilishly hansom Japanese Sidekick's

After all. The worlds needs Anime and Ayu Hamazaki - or is that just me?
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-07 8:44 AM
#
H/PC Elder

hey dudes, take it easy man! but btw, when u finish taking over the world, can u mandate the Big Boys like MS, HP, NEC, PSION to come up with a HPC factor handheld for everyone:

1. 800X600 Transflective TFT ... nah, make that OLED!! Touch screen naturally!!
2. StrongArm PXA255 400Mhz ... => 800Mhz!!
3. 256MB RAM + 256MB flash ROM
4. 1 X PCMCIA Type II support cardbus!!
5. 1 X CF+ Type II slot
6. All-in-One upgradeable Memory card slot module (Support MMC/SD/MS etc)
7. VGA out with DVI output
8. USB2.0
9. Firewire (optional)
10. Built-in wifi (802.11b, BT, 802.11g optional user upgrade)
11. Stereo 3.5mm output headphone jack.
12. Stereo 3.5mm input mic jack.
13. 20hour battery based on FULL-BACKLIGHT, WIFI access and MP3 playback.
14. Runs on WinCE.NET 5.0!! Or any flavor of Linux without coredumping while installation!!

ok ... I think I am contented with this ... for now. So guys, go ahead and take over the world!! hehehe
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-07 9:51 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I would preferr a 800x300 - just a super high resoloution with a really low aperature grill so it can still fit in the space of the J720's screen
Don't forget 258 of NV internal RAM as well as the VRAM and ROM.
FastIRWhy not make it a more flashy sound system than plain Stereo. After all the built-in motherboards sound is just software. So add Dolby headphone support and a Mini Disc remote.

I would want to see a ROM option for Windows Mobile 2005 (Magneto).

Oh, and I appoint Snappy! Lord protectorate of all the territories of New Mexico
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-07 2:26 PM
#
H/PC Elder

C:Amie - 2005-02-07 7:51 AM

I would preferr a 800x300 - just a super high resoloution with a really low aperature grill so it can still fit in the space of the J720's screen
Don't forget 258 of NV internal RAM as well as the VRAM and ROM.
FastIRWhy not make it a more flashy sound system than plain Stereo. After all the built-in motherboards sound is just software. So add Dolby headphone support and a Mini Disc remote.

I would want to see a ROM option for Windows Mobile 2005 (Magneto).

Oh yeah, that would fit into the widescreen format. Neat!
I guess for myself, I'm not really into sound that much. If I wanted, I would just hook up to a hifi with big speakers!

C:Amie - 2005-02-07 7:51 AM

Oh, and I appoint Snappy! Lord protectorate of all the territories of New Mexico

Now we are talking! ... Kneel!! Denizens of the states ... Kneel ... worship the new Lord!! Mwaahahahahaha ... oops got carried away. I promise to cut tax when I am appointed!! hehe
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-07 2:34 PM
#
H/PC Elder

And also spend the first year's budget on installing wifi access for the whole of New Mexico ... including the Rio Grande so that one can check the latest rantings from HPCFactor.com!! hehee

Oh and what is wifi if it is not free? Free as in $0. It will be free!!

With free wifi, how to do with it then? Well, everyone, I mean, everyone, including those pesky tourists visiting the Enchanted Circle, Red River town or Ski Valley, they will be issued one toO!! Of cos, they would need to return in Like-New condition in its original wrappings and warranty seals etc. Or else they must buy it at full retail price!! or they can pay a simple 50% restocking fee!!! Mwahahahahaaha

oh and btw, tourists or visitors or even those driving up 64 or 10 or 40 *will* be issued one, whether they want or like it. And they must open up the non-resealable wrappings that destruct on exposure to sunlight. Of cos the above terms of use will still apply. hehehe ...

Now where did u think we are going to afford free wifi for everyone?

ok ... I think I better go and rest ... getting to me now!! hehe
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 11