x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Price drops, somethings not right

1 2
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-12 11:41 PM
#
H/PC Elder

The recent rash of price drops on hpcs has me thinking.

The recent crop of ppcs is nothing special IMO and many have commented the big box stores have pulled them from shelves because of poor sales. I see evidence of that myself. But are the sales poor because the piddle is crippled/hampered in so many ways? Overpriced?

So I'd expect hpcs to hold value as consumers who want a pda/pim machine are shunning ppcs and looking for alternatives. Which, funny enough, means a hpc is their only other viable choice. Wouldn't that group of people drive up the hpc demand and perhaps the price?

Or, as I doubt with all the Origami hype, are consumers simply done with pim/pda in a small size? Are smartphone sale up? Is that were the potential ppc buyers have moved to?

If Smartphones sales are sluggish are they headed into oblivion? Then what?

Again, for pim/pda only the hpc is left.

I'm interested in watching it all play out over time.

Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-03-13 12:18 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I think I have said this before: most people do not really need a PDA.

Those who do need a PDA are still buying the latest and greatest PPCs, don't worry. And of course a lot of them being sold today are Phone Edition. There was rumor Dell will sell a PE and stop making plain PPC for next generation.

The big stores do not carry PDAs anymore because it is much less popular with the general public. However it seems London Drugs isn't giving up on it yet. They still stock HP and palmOne Palm units.

*edit* damnit Palm stop changing your name.

Edited by takwu 2006-03-13 12:24 AM
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2006-03-13 4:23 AM
#
H/PC Elder

As I mentioned in the other thread, big stores literally threw out the ppcs. In their place are shelves of phones, smartphones, pdaphones, phonepda, blackberry, treo, etc etc.

Only a few Palm PalmOne Palm devices around. It seems like the TX and lifedrives are not selling too well either.

I'm seriously disappointed that the batt life is so crappy with 1st gen UMPCs. Maybe MS should for once, make their own UMPC, like they did xbox. If you want to get a job done right, you gotta do it yourself!
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2006-03-13 4:46 AM
#
Yeah, something is definitely different all of a sudden. Have you seen eBay? Now's a GREAT time to buy... It's times like THIS when I wish I had a JOB...
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-13 2:51 PM
#
H/PC Elder

It's like the change in the market took place overnight. I guess what I'm asking is what is the single factor for hpcs suddenly dropping so much in price? Is there a single factor? It can't be Origami, it's not really on the scene in any quantity yet.

I can offer an observation. While dining out one day the 4 young adults at the next table all had Treos (650/700?, I wasn't sure). But I'm fairly sure they bought the Treos as a phone first and the pda/pim was a neat novelty included. That I gleaned from listening to them chatter.

So what's that mean? I don't know? Would any of the 4 bought a hpc if the Treo wasn't available? Again, I don't know, but I don't think so.

I have shown my hpcs to many others, as I'm sure you all have. Most people want one when they learn it's about 1/2 the cost of a mid-range ppc. (average hpc/average ppc).

So with increased interest I'd think hpc demand would rise but that appears contrary to the facts. However, offsetting that opinion is the number of n00bs signing up here, with I'm sure, many more just lurking, which indicates increased interest which you'd think would translate to sales.

I have a far-flung theory. I notice with the massive increased energy costs people still drive large vehicles and heat the house to 75F. It hasn't stopped them from eatiing out, (I am out a fair but when I feel up to it) nor stopped them from buying tons of new gadgets on credit (read Ipod/PVRs/huge TVs). But it seems to have slowed their spending of cash for non-new non-trendy used goods. Maybe there's no cash left over after the bills are paid.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-13 7:27 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hm, ppcs and palms are dying because of the smartphone and the pda phones. hehe. i think this is a good direction. and the htc universal is an even better one (now if someone would make a larger version of it... i get tired on the jasjar after 10 mins of typing)..
the reduction in the hpc's price is perfectly natural IMO. they do get aged over time. another factor is the large dump of jornadas and nec mobilepros at the moment. sure many people want to buy them but the supply is enough because of this.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-13 8:01 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Personally I can't see any SP or PDAphone replacing the handiness of my hpcs. I love my W(s) and all but they're only good for filling in spare time when I'm out. I can't imagine doing real work on them, but to be fair they are my main PIM units now, but their phone function is an afterthought for me.

I suppose the 720 had to self-correct pricewise. Yes, it's nice and all but there was a great price disparity between it and say, the MP790 for a long time. And all things considered, if typing is your thing the 720 falls a little short.

I will be interesting to see if 720s et al drop in price, stabilize or rise a bit. The next few months will tell.

Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2006-03-13 8:44 PM
#
Perhaps the price drop on Jornadas is no accident... Perhaps HP is behind it...

...planning something... (Dun Dun Duuunnnn....)
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-13 8:59 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I wonder where the prices will go when HP releases all their spares to the market?

Does anyone know how long the law compels companies to keep spares in stock? I thought it is about 7 years or so, and I imagine it varies according to country.
 Top of the page
Snake Page Icon Posted 2006-03-13 9:10 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

It's more than that, why PDA's are dying. Too much money for just a technical accessory once you buy a unit that actually does more than operate as digital paper notepad, the luddite's inability and lack of desire to drop using paper (the biggest factor of all - you have to give concerted effort to use a PDA and most people didn't), too much to carry around, etc.

Joe Sixpack just...wasn't ready for the PADD.

Too lazy
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2006-03-13 9:28 PM
#
When the LG phenom ultra came out, it went for $2,499.99! Holy crap! How could anyone spend so much cash on such a thing? That's RIDICULOUS.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2006-03-14 12:58 AM
#
H/PC Elder

CardBoardCrusader - 2006-03-13 7:28 PM

When the LG phenom ultra came out, it went for $2,499.99! Holy crap! How could anyone spend so much cash on such a thing? That's RIDICULOUS.

Wow ... no wonder it barely appeared before disappearing into gadget history.

I think its a orchestrated effort by the ppc OEMs to draw a hardline and steer consumers either to buy a phone (smartphone pdaphone etc) or a UMPC. Maybe.
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2006-03-14 3:01 AM
#
Orchestrated Effort? Isn't that what the oil companies are doing? Gasoline is like $2.60 a gallon here...

Well, I'm certainly not complaining... all the more HPCs for us!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-03-14 3:42 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

CardBoardCrusader - 2006-03-14 12:01 AM

Orchestrated Effort? Isn't that what the oil companies are doing? Gasoline is like $2.60 a gallon here...

Which is why they can't afford gadgets right now.

I agree with cmonex that the fluctuation in price is probably normal. I may be remembering wrong, but my recollection is that the 720 was a lot cheaper in the first part of 2005 than the latter part. Because of its uniqueness, I think that the H/PC is more vulnerable to price fluctuation.
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 1:19 AM
#
Wow. Right now, Jornada 720s are EVERYWHERE, from like $150-$200! Overstock.com has some cheap ones, and eBay, too... I can't believe this day has come... Also, the Jornada-flavored Otterboxes can be found now for about $20. That's WAY cheaper than they used to be...

ARRGGHH!! I need a JOB!
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 46 - Executed queries : 32