x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

The HPC Screen Saver Project

1 2 3 4
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-13 11:40 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I thought it was impossible to burn an image into LCD displays? You can't etch a led like you can the inner coating of a CRT monitor. And don't leds function via on-off-intensity levels?

I never thought of the limited life of all the leds on an LCD though. That aspect makes sense. How many hours are the LEDS rated for anyway? 10k, 50k? It would be good info to know.

Now, at first I thought a screensaver for a hpc would be moot. After thinking on it some I'd like to have the choice. Yep, there's times I'd like to watch a scrolling marquee or other moving graphics to passify me.

Go for it guys. Just don't forget the 800x480 and 800x600 formats for 6651 & MP users.
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2006-03-14 12:16 AM
#
Well, things aren't going too smooth for me and VB... I can't figure out how to make an app that covers the ENITRE screen without the title bar and taskbar showing... This is SO aggrivating!!! ... Okay. Calm down Roric. Breathe...
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2006-03-14 3:05 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Rather than jumping in with both feet, I'd suggest that we design an engine that can take plugins - either written in VB or VC - that can then be useful going forward.
Found the mail I was talking about: it was from Daniel Strickland who wrote PocketCandy, and he might be able to a HPC version sometime. I'll badger him again and let you know what he says.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-03-14 3:34 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2006-03-13 2:16 AM

PocketCandy is a lot like what you describe. It's made for Pocket PCs (big surprise ), but it does work fine in my MP790.

The Pocket PC version should work in H/PC 2000 with the right aygshell.dll file. But if he can develop a version that works in older H/PCs, that'd be really cool.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-03-14 11:06 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Hah, who cares about the backlight dying! I'll deal with it when it happens!

In addition to the standard windows screensavers (pssh), why not make a special CE one?

Is this a good time to mention that xscreensaver works in linux?
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-15 12:49 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

There is a screen saver engine available now, but it only comes with the star field and blank screen savers. Available on my site via utilities->misc shell enhancements->Screen Saver Engine. Haven't tried it out myself, as I always just put the HPC in suspend mode like normal

Edit: The homepage to the engine still exists: http://www.xoanan.com/handheldpc/ScreenSaverEngine.htm

Edited by mscdex 2006-03-15 12:58 AM
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2006-03-15 6:09 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

"registration needed", and no details on the SDK. Shame.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-15 6:19 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Another abandoned chunk of software?
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2006-03-15 7:50 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

wallythacker - 2006-03-15 6:19 AM

Another abandoned chunk of software?

Geez - Just because it isn't being updated, doesn't mean it's abandoned? As far as I can see, the website clearly has a link on how you can purchase the software!
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2006-03-15 11:51 AM
#
But why would people still charge money for that kind of stuff? The only software I would ever charge for would be maybe an epic 3D RPG or something... but I don't see why they still make people pay for simple stuff like that...
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-15 4:38 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

update: My attempts to email via the email addresses on their contact page and on the whois listing have failed. The messages were rejected (various reasons) every time. I wonder how he's able to/why he's using a now invalid email address for his domain info.
 Top of the page
Guest Page Icon Posted 2006-03-15 10:16 PM
#
an LCD display has no LED's none what so ever.... an LED is a light emitting diod,, and LCD is a liquid crystal display... an LCD makes an image from a liquid that when you add a charge to it it will turn black or whatever color they tinted it... an LCD display is like a flat bag of water ....
 Top of the page
RJ99 Page Icon Posted 2006-03-16 4:19 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Try Ilium's 'Dockware' - it's free - & works great as a screensaver.
Comes to life after 5 mins idele time; gives a big chunky digital clock on the left of the screen and a scrolling series of photos on the right side - each photo stays on screen for 2 mins then dissolves into the next. You can use your own photos. Works fine on the Intermec 6651 and MP790/MP750c.
http://www.iliumsoft.com/site/fg/dockware.htm
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2006-03-16 9:29 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

CardBoardCrusader - 2006-03-15 11:51 AM

But why would people still charge money for that kind of stuff? The only software I would ever charge for would be maybe an epic 3D RPG or something... but I don't see why they still make people pay for simple stuff like that...

Probably because nobody else in the H/PC community has created or sells a similiar product and people like you still want one.
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2006-03-16 9:32 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

mscdex - 2006-03-15 4:38 PM

update: My attempts to email via the email addresses on their contact page and on the whois listing have failed. The messages were rejected (various reasons) every time. I wonder how he's able to/why he's using a now invalid email address for his domain info.

Has anyone tried registering the software? Does the registration/purchasing process still work?
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 9