x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Is it piracy?

1 2
Britty
Britty Page Icon Posted 2006-03-13 7:14 PM
#
Piracy is always a tricky subject and can bring out heated discussion and debate in even calm and reasonable people. The problem with the law is, is that it is written in books with sections, subsections, clauses and stipulations. Often times just being human and using common sense and just dealing with people can get you what you want. Most people are reasonable when it comes to this sort of thing.

I find it analogous to some hardware company having a scrap yard full of old hardware they can no longer sell. It's not out on the street yet, so it's not public domain. But it is still junked all the same. If you went into the yard and took one or two pieces you require, who is going to care? Technically it is still property theft in the eyes of the law (and trespassing if you didn't ask if you could go in ), but the odds of being chased down, hunted and prosecuted for taking something the parent company was junking anyway, are remote at best.

The correct way would be to simply ask the junkyard master if you can have just some bits you need. Usually they will say, hey go knock yourself out. If enough people ask, he will tire of all the requests and eventually make all the junk public domain.

I think the same applies to old forgotten software.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-13 8:07 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Britty, you told about the laws vs being human so much more clearly than me.

Edited by cmonex 2006-03-13 8:08 PM
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-13 8:10 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I agree with many of your thoughts. The problem though with software is finding the "junkyard" including the codes to make it work.

The diligent scroungers here know where the internet junkyards are, but not all the codes. The internet junkyards happily provide the bits but in so many cases we couldn't cut a cheque to the author to obtain a reg code if we wanted to.

Note I'm only talking about out of print software. I would never condone getting current software for free. Authors are due their compensation for as long as they offer the product for sale.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-03-14 5:03 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2006-03-13 2:44 PM
Edit: That is one SCARY video.

Did anyone else notice Leo's Flight Simulator in the video? I didn't see Leopoldo Bueno Castillo in the credits. (The Tetris screen looked awfully familiar too, but there are so many clones of that game that I can't tell for sure.)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-14 1:12 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I think that it was MS Flight Sim 4.. given the date that this was made.

I find it analogous to some hardware company having a scrap yard full of old hardware they can no longer sell. It's not out on the street yet, so it's not public domain. But it is still junked all the same. If you went into the yard and took one or two pieces you require, who is going to care?
That's called shop-lifting, and quite possibly the junk yard owner will care. Thay could be greedy as they come and see that that ultra unuaul part is valuable and ask you for 1000 for it. It may only be worth 10, and it may be wrong to add the markup, but it still doesn't justify walking off with the part. (Good analogy for Ansyr there)
Doing it without asking is a world away from doing it with permission from asking.
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-14 1:50 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

tenjeangosi - 2006-03-13 6:24 PM

I found Primer 2.3 avaliable for purchase..

Speaking of that.... I thought it was funny how Handango no longer has Primer 2.3/3.1 for sale on their site, but they still have AutoPC software for sale.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-03-14 7:19 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2006-03-14 10:12 AM

Then I gotta wonder if Leo got images from it, cuz I swear it looks exactly like every version of Leo's Flight Simulator that I have (H/PC, Palm-size PC, Pocket PC, and desktop PC).
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-14 7:34 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I wonder too if Leo borrowed from Flightsim. I don't care, having near identical screens makes it easier to use. though I still crash too often
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-15 2:46 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Microsoft Flight Sim 4

Source: http://web.ukonline.co.uk/members/dmarch/
 Top of the page
Britty
Britty Page Icon Posted 2006-03-16 1:01 AM
#
C:Amie - 2006-03-15 4:12 AM

I find it analogous to some hardware company having a scrap yard full of old hardware they can no longer sell. It's not out on the street yet, so it's not public domain. But it is still junked all the same. If you went into the yard and took one or two pieces you require, who is going to care?

That's called shop-lifting, and quite possibly the junk yard owner will care. Thay could be greedy as they come and see that that ultra unuaul part is valuable and ask you for 1000 for it. It may only be worth 10, and it may be wrong to add the markup, but it still doesn't justify walking off with the part. (Good analogy for Ansyr there)
Doing it without asking is a world away from doing it with permission from asking.

Yes, like I mentioned in the eyes of the law in the texts and sections and subsections it is theft and also trespassing if you want to throw that in also.

But in terms of human nature and just interacting with people I wouldn't deal with any junkyard owner who was trying to stitch me 10 fold on something they were throwing away to begin with. Better to just walk away.

I.E. if I found some piece of software which hasn't had any support or new development for many years, I happen by luck to track down the author and I ask if I can have a access code for it. If he gives me it for free, thats great, if he says he still wants the regular access price he charged years ago for it, I would consider that fair enough, if he says it's now 10x higher than it was originally, then it is clear who is the thief.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-17 5:40 AM
#
H/PC Elder

In software houses want the liegtimate right to bicth about pircay they can do as Odessey does. Continue to sell and service Post on Schedlue for it's original price of non-discountable $80. We have no exuse under those situations but to pay or walk away instead of lift a copy
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 9