x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Can I consider these hpc's? relatives?

1 2 3
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-01-02 4:41 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Ok, I just have to mention these palmtop pda's. Made by HP, they seem to be a very early relative to the hpc's. (But they were made in 92' or something) They have intel 186's, so they can run dos app's - pretty cool. No touch screen though. Although I can run my 720 faster than them with PocketDOS, it's just interesting to see where everything has started.

Its a few (8) years too late, but it may have been wise for CE users to make a permanent newsletter like they did. But - unlike us they had the advantage of compatibility so they can still buy a 200lx and get a ton of great software on them. Anyways, the whole point of this rambling thread is maybe we can gain something from that community, I am just trying to figure out what that is at the moment.

p.s. Their newsletter stopped in 2000. Anyone as experimental as me know why?
 Top of the page
atariportfolio
atariportfolio Page Icon Posted 2005-01-02 6:11 PM
#
Don't forget about the atari portfolio, The first handheld pc. It has a 4.9 Mhz. processor, 128k ram, memory card slot and an expansion bus. It runs pc dos 2.1, has a calender program, word processor and an address book with tone dialer. You can transfer files to and from your desktop using the serial or parrallel interface, and served as my pda until 5 days ago when I received my jornada 720.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-01-02 6:24 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Isn't that the one that deletes a whole line of text if you don't use a carriage return?
 Top of the page
atariportfolio
atariportfolio Page Icon Posted 2005-01-02 6:42 PM
#
It has never happend to me and I have used it for over three years (2 years of taking notes in high school). I had a pretty nice setup with the parrellel interface and a hp 340 battery powered printer. My teachers thought it was great becase even my in class work was typed.

btw: do you know of an address book program for hpc 2000 with a tone dialer?
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-01-02 6:52 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Alas, all I know if is ACT! for CE. It only worked on mips processors I think, so I can not use it anymore. A cheap way that I just tried out is to open you modem dialer and set it to not wait for a dial tone. Then put the phone microphone next to the speaker and press connect on your hpc. Then it will dial and you can dance in nerdy delight (dial tones are awesome) when it dials the phone. The only drawbacks is that you have to enter the number every time, which takes a few steps. Anyone else know? (my cellphone has a pda that does this for me - so I am not very up-to-date on this)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-01-02 6:53 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

There is a power toy plug in for Pocket Outlook with a dtmf dialler.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-01-02 7:02 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I installed power toys and don't see this.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-01-02 7:06 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Or you can use a fax program and use it to store your numbers. Better yet, find one that uses your PIM contact info!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-01-02 7:11 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

MY mistake, wrong CE version - got caught up in the old device thread.

It's a hot link, but they no longer have a program page:
Julio at MobileCubed's creation

http://www.mobilecubed.com/files/hpcdial.zip

Visit the site: http://www.mobilecubed.com/ (They make the excellent m3cro - review in the reviews section)
 Top of the page
atariportfolio
atariportfolio Page Icon Posted 2005-01-02 7:24 PM
#
Thank you very much, I realy appreciate all of your help.
 Top of the page
mewiedman Page Icon Posted 2005-01-03 12:37 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

If you are talking about HP handheld units, I see it this way:

95LX MS-DOS 3.3 Monochrome
100LX/200LX MS-DOS 5.0 Grayscale
320LX CE 1.0 Grayscale
340LX/360LX CE 2.0 Grayscale
620LX/660LX CE 2.0 Color 256
Jornada 680/690/820 CE 2.11 Color 256
Jornada 720/728 CE 3.0 Color 65536

Using OS and display as “generations” I would consider the 95LX the great-great-great-great grandfather of our beloved 720 series handhelds.

The LX series is fascinating. I helped get a 95LX running this spring and got a 200LX for the boys this Christmas.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-01-03 6:42 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Can they actually be considered an hpc though?
 Top of the page
SirThoreth Page Icon Posted 2005-01-03 8:28 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-01-03 3:42 PM

Can they actually be considered an hpc though?

I certainly don't see why not. When you think about it, the success HP had with their early LX-series DOS-based machines undoubtedly helped to dictate te form-factor for our CE-based HPCs. When you consider they ran DOS, and could run any DOS application their 80186 processors could handle, they certainly had the "Personal Computer" thing down pat, and their form factor, really, is little different from my 360LX, or a Jornada 720.

So, yeah, I'd consider them HPCs. I'd probably even go so far as to consider them the original HPCs.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-01-03 10:43 PM
#
H/PC Elder

mewiedman - 2005-01-03 10:37 AM

If you are talking about HP handheld units, I see it this way:

95LX MS-DOS 3.3 Monochrome
100LX/200LX MS-DOS 5.0 Grayscale
320LX CE 1.0 Grayscale
340LX/360LX CE 2.0 Grayscale
620LX/660LX CE 2.0 Color 256
Jornada 680/690/820 CE 2.11 Color 256
Jornada 720/728 CE 3.0 Color 65536

Using OS and display as “generations” I would consider the 95LX the great-great-great-great grandfather of our beloved 720 series handhelds.

The LX series is fascinating. I helped get a 95LX running this spring and got a 200LX for the boys this Christmas.

hey, talking about these older machines ... can they be used to surf the web? If so ... they would be too cool!!
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-01-04 12:07 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Check out the links page of the site link I have on my first post. They seem to have a simple web browser, but you need to buy $80 worth of software to get it to connect. I would think that standard 186 software to get online is available though...perhaps I should read their newsletter!
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 9