x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Can I consider these hpc's? relatives?

1 2 3
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-01-04 8:46 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Really what classes as a Handheld PC is a semantics game.

Microsoft hijacked the term ' Handheld PC ' with the release of CE1. So it became a trademark and synonimous with Microsoft devices.
You have to remember though that confusingly the H/PC specification device isn't (or should I say wasn't) the hp form factor.
A true to form Microsoft specification device has a 480x240 display. hp bolted on the extra 160 pixels and that was later adopted as the HVGA standard.

hp on the other hand were branding theirs as Pamltops. Right from the 95LX and through to the 700 series.

So one could argue that a Palmtop and a Handheld PC are two different specifications.

The all encompasing word though is Clamshell. Now that one certainly covers all the devices, LX through H/PC through Palmtop.

Then again, if you believe the dictionary, a handheld PC is a PC that fits in the palm of your hand. So by the OED's standards you can consider a Palm Pilot a h/PC
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-01-07 10:03 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Ah. But a Palm isn't a pc, just a little screen with a dragonball processor.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-01-08 7:40 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

They have processors?
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-01-08 8:45 AM
#
H/PC Elder

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-01-07 8:03 PM

Ah. But a Palm isn't a pc, just a little screen with a dragonball processor.

... I like that! "just a little screen with a dragonball proc"!

PC=Personal Computer
Computer=A device that takes input, performs calculation (processing), and produce an output.
HandheldPC=PC that can be held on the hand??

Since a Palm has a little screen for output, a little touch screen (and buttons) for input, a dragonball proc for calculations (processing) *and* it can be held on the hand,
=>Palm is a handheldpc! hehehe
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-01-08 12:44 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Does palm have pc in its name? Aha!
 Top of the page
mewiedman Page Icon Posted 2005-03-18 5:34 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Here's another (old) hpc candidate - IBM PC110.

http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/pc110.html

I'd still like to get one! I think it meets the OED definition, what do you all think?

MEW
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-03-18 7:06 PM
#
H/PC Elder

hey nice find, thumbs up

I didn't know there existed something this small before the Libretto that could have a GUI. The 486 could surely handle Win 3.1, but the lack of RAM may prevent it from loading Win95 at all. Still possible tho.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-18 7:11 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Are you kidding! You can load 95 on 8MB, you can force it to install on 4.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-03-18 7:19 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Oops I misread the page, only saw 4MB, didn't see the other upgrades. Well in that case this machine could still have some practical use today!
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-03-19 9:32 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

takwu - 2005-03-18 7:06 PM

I didn't know there existed something this small before the Libretto that could have a GUI.

As I recall, the first GUI desktop O/S on mobile devices was Geos. It was only found on Japanese designed and made devices from Brother word processor typewriters to Casio & Samsung PDAs.

There are Geos holdouts. One Geos group has a Yahoo group. They manage to alter Geos OS so they may continue to use it on PCs, for Surfing & email. Someone may look into using it on Jornada or MobilePro

I have a GUI device that was the world's smallest PDA. Xircom called it a micro PDA. It has Win CE and a speaker. Mine, the Rex 6000, is the last and the best of the micros. The Rex is a PDA built into a 2MB PCMCIA Card.

The Rex 6000 has the most responsive touch screen I have ever used and my review model came with a hard case and a USB-Serial cable with both cables ($189 retail). The enthusiast sites are inactive since 2003 so far as I know, but you can still get at he posts and download free software and instructions. The 6000 has a full set of PIM programs, connects to PCs (fits into PCMCIA slot or you can use the cradle), has a click screen keyboard. Xircom did sell a small external keyboard for it.
I have eight solitaire games loaded in mine. My wife carries it in her purse for card games, calendar, schedule, clock, to do list.

Some ethusiasts (2001) reported connecting the Rex with jornada. I tried it with the 680e and both came on but the Jornada shifted into Pocket Word and automaticall went into a loop, writing line after line of 1s. I plan to try it again after I install SP1.

Edited by bruisedquasar 2005-03-19 9:47 AM
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-03-20 12:23 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Did you say your Rex has Win CE? As far as I can tell, it doesn't. Please clarify.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-03-27 9:11 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-03-27 10:20 PM
#
H/PC Elite

There's a toshiba laptop, which i believe it's smaller ('bout the size of 1.5 mobilepros stacked), i've seen it in a computer shop, it's fairy old, it ran W95 and came w/8 or 16 Mb RAM i believe. next time i go there i'll check what model it is
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-03-27 10:36 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Libertto
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-03-28 9:13 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

takwu - 2005-03-28 4:36 AM

Libertto

Libretto