x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

ba transaction on e-bay

1 2
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 2:32 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2006-03-20 9:23 AM
Dunno. I paid about $24 (including VAT & S+H) for a Kingston Ethernet card, and about $62 (again final cost) for an HP Jornada extended battery. You be the judge.

fair prices!
my extended battery could have been the same price (got it from pagiee - you too?) but some extra costs surfaced sadly. so it got to be around 80$ in the end... or more..

Spymaster - 2006-03-20 7:49 PM

Just a tip for buying overseas from USA. If the items are valued more than $26.00 at USA end they will attract hefty Customs penalty at UK end. I usually ask sellers to assign a nominal value for Customs purposes (i.e <$26.00) and that way I do not get any nasty surprises when it arrives. I once got stung for £86.00 Imort Tax on software from the states (I was more naive then!) I have since purchased many items from USA & Canada from EBay and via HPCFactor and have not had to pay any surcharges. Sellers are usually quite happy with request to assign low value to goods.

Craig

would you risk this with items with a really high value? i'd rather have full insurance on them - or just buy them from the EU if possible.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 3:32 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Fair price indeed. As cmonex mentioned, the downside is damage to items that have been greatly undervalued. Most carriers will reimburse the stated value and no more regardless what happens during transit.

For little items I ask the sellers to help me out with values that don't sting me for customs. On more expensive, especially ebay items, I bite the bullet and accept the actual price as the value for customs.

I feared one day a rotten ebay vendor would use an undervalued shipment to steer blame away from their shoddiness or actions. So a few extra bucks may save me a lot of aggravation.

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 3:46 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2006-03-20 9:32 PM

Fair price indeed. As cmonex mentioned, the downside is damage to items that have been greatly undervalued. Most carriers will reimburse the stated value and no more regardless what happens during transit.

For little items I ask the sellers to help me out with values that don't sting me for customs. On more expensive, especially ebay items, I bite the bullet and accept the actual price as the value for customs.

I feared one day a rotten ebay vendor would use an undervalued shipment to steer blame away from their shoddiness or actions. So a few extra bucks may save me a lot of aggravation.

that rotten ebay vendor would have no chance against paypal then if you have the protection (at least that's how it's supposed to work - am i too optimistic? never had to file any claim so far)

i paid the stuff to customs only once, for the sig2, i had no other choice and i didn't really mind it, it wasn't a big amount. i should've been obligated to pay a lot more for the intermec 6651 and for a nec 900c (well actually that would have been a friend's money as the 900c was intended for him). but i have my own little tricks and had to pay nothing... i really hate it when they want to charge 33% just because the item is from another country. they (our government - really sucks) are simply stealing the money that was earned hard then use it for not our community's sake.
ok i'll stop ranting here

Edited by cmonex 2006-03-20 3:48 PM
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 10:21 PM
#
H/PC Elder

You're not ranting my dear friend. You're simply stating the truth. *All* governments have forgotten they are supposed to work for us, not rape us every chance they get.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 4:35 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

cmonex - 2006-03-20 11:32 AM

CE Geek - 2006-03-20 9:23 AM
Dunno. I paid about $24 (including VAT & S+H) for a Kingston Ethernet card, and about $62 (again final cost) for an HP Jornada extended battery. You be the judge.

fair prices!
my extended battery could have been the same price (got it from pagiee - you too?) but some extra costs surfaced sadly. so it got to be around 80$ in the end... or more..

Nah, I got it from Jornada Central on eBay. Sound familiar at all?
 Top of the page
SueNY Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 5:02 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Just a note..lying on customs forms can get a seller in big trouble. It's not nice to ask them to. The discussion boards on Ebay are full of sellers ranting about overseas and Canadian buyers who ask them to lie on customs forms.

I do understand about the duties and taxes and stuff. My dad is Canadian so I have one whole side of my family who live in Canada and I have family in the UK also. I'm so glad the U.S. doesn't do things like that!
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 7:00 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Thank god for free trade! All the barriers to moving goods across our borders are gone!

Who am I kidding......anyone?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 7:38 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2006-03-21 10:35 AM
Nah, I got it from Jornada Central on eBay. Sound familiar at all?

yes, very familiar, i really like that seller! (bought some stuff from him before)

SueNY - 2006-03-21 11:02 AM

Just a note..lying on customs forms can get a seller in big trouble. It's not nice to ask them to. The discussion boards on Ebay are full of sellers ranting about overseas and Canadian buyers who ask them to lie on customs forms.

well, i've never asked any seller to do that except when i really needed it and there was no risk in that case.

anyway i know it's not "nice" to ask, it was very difficult for me when i had to. (otherwise i would've had to pay 33% of 400$. whew)

wallythacker - 2006-03-21 1:00 PM

Thank god for free trade! All the barriers to moving goods across our borders are gone!

Who am I kidding......anyone?

well it is true at least in the EU. too bad the world isn't just the EU i love buying stuff from the EU, never have to worry about VAT & customs (got for example my sigmarion III and three intermec's this way...)

Edited by cmonex 2006-03-21 7:39 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-22 12:11 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Moved out of hpcBay
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 9