x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

ba transaction on e-bay

1 2
rgisondi Page Icon Posted 2006-03-14 5:22 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I have bought a Jornada 728 on e bay form my wife for 255 USD

The seller was a man named Ryan Colson (I do not know if he is part of this group). It promised a Unit in good condition but hi shipped a broken one. The upper part of th pda (where is the screen) is had opened. The stylus lack.

Now I would like to open a compliat on ebay but I'm completely new to this kind of issue because all the former transaction that I have done on e bay were gone well.

Has any of you any experience?

Is there any way to trieve the money (I have not done any kind of insurance)

Thanks
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-14 6:00 PM
#
H/PC Elder

First, contact the seller and let him know you received a damaged incomplete unit. Give him a chance to rectify things.

I'll let others with more experience dealing with bad vendors step in now....
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-14 6:03 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

if you havent had the item insured it's partially your fault.. sorry to say that but i know you live in italy, and i guess the j728 is from the US isnt it. for such a distance you should always have the more precious items insured.. (i have made a mistake myself - had a package insured but didnt know i had to report the problem to my postal office within 24 hours good lesson for the future!!)

anyway you may still be able to file a claim, did the listing have the free paypal protection thing? (BUT i'm not sure if paypal covers such cases when the item wasnt insured )

edit: ah wallythacker is right of course..

edit 2: hmm the above item i mentioned has been repaired so so. but there was another that i received DOA. worked but not too well, wouldn't always turn on. sent it back, seller fully refunded me

Edited by cmonex 2006-03-14 6:06 PM
 Top of the page
rgisondi Page Icon Posted 2006-03-14 6:47 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I have posted a claim paypal.

If I have undestood good in this case e-bay must refound max 200 USD with the the cost of 25 USD. I hope that this will be true.

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-14 9:24 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

um... yes but didnt you pay via paypal or the seller didnt have the paypal protection in the listing?

also.. did you read wallythacker's advice? thats what i shouldve said first
 Top of the page
SueNY Page Icon Posted 2006-03-15 12:33 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Paypal's protections don't cover international transactions because international addresses can't be confirmed. If the seller is not willing to make things right he may be out of luck. Hope not. Good luck!
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-15 1:57 AM
#
H/PC Elder

That's why I hesitate to buy outside of Canada or the US. There's too many things to go wrong and not enough ways to set it right.

However, on this site I see lots of UKers buying from the US without any headaches, which is good.

I can't bring myself to trust anyone overseas except regular members here, so I never consider ebay outside of NA. But I realize not everyone has that choice
 Top of the page
rgisondi Page Icon Posted 2006-03-15 2:18 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Paypal has opened a dispute.

The seller didn't had the courage to answer directly to me but hi sad to paypal that according to him all the things are right.

I hope that paypal will cotact me for futher information because the photo of the unit speak tehmself
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-03-15 3:12 AM
#
So, paypal only operate inside the country you are in (e.g. UK protection from UK, US from US)?

If you cant get a refund (which will be quite likely) you could try to repair it yourself. Will the screen clip back together? You can probably get a stylus of here.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-03-15 3:41 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2006-03-14 10:57 PM
However, on this site I see lots of UKers buying from the US without any headaches, which is good.

Or vice versa. I've bought an Ethernet card and an extended battery for my Jornada from the UK (the former directly from the vendor's online store), and both transactions turned out well.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-15 3:53 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Did you pay much extra for the parts? It seems to me UK stuff is in lbs/euros which correlates to about twice our money.
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-03-17 3:40 PM
#
UK stuff is in pounds (no lb - thats a weight - i know, they could have picked a better name). Yes, most UK products work out to be about twice as much as anywhere else. Its all tax and so on now. :-(
 Top of the page
Britty
Britty Page Icon Posted 2006-03-17 7:57 PM
#
Only takes one bad egg to wreck it for everyone else. As for me, with my dramas with the IrDA I bought, I will never buy anything from Ebay again from a Hong Kong seller or a reseller of items from Hong Kong. Regardless as to who it is. If Hong Kong appears anywhere in the Ebay ad, I drop it like a hot potato.

As for you, rgisondi, I think you should try every channel available to you. Email him directly, file complaint with Ebay and any other reasonable option you can pursue. Keep chasing it up and try to keep the process moving. You have the right to an explanation as an absolute minimum, and compensation if found in your favour.

Any item may well leave it's point of origin in good condition, but it is up to the seller to do everything feasible to pack the item(s) well enough knowing that freight couriers and international handlers can be nothing short of brutal with stuff. If the unit after it was packed could not be kicked like a football and survive, then it is not packed well enough and the sender didn't live up to his part of the responsibility of the shipping.

After all, that is why you are paying extra for international shipping. It's not all just about the freight charges. Part of that extra cost should be due to packing it really well to handle the journey.

But since some things were missing when the package arrived in the first place, I would be instantly suspicious. I would be hounding Ebay and the seller for explanations and compensations.

Edited by Britty 2006-03-17 8:57 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 3:23 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2006-03-15 12:53 AM

Did you pay much extra for the parts? It seems to me UK stuff is in lbs/euros which correlates to about twice our money.

Dunno. I paid about $24 (including VAT & S+H) for a Kingston Ethernet card, and about $62 (again final cost) for an HP Jornada extended battery. You be the judge.
 Top of the page
Spymaster Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 1:49 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Just a tip for buying overseas from USA. If the items are valued more than $26.00 at USA end they will attract hefty Customs penalty at UK end. I usually ask sellers to assign a nominal value for Customs purposes (i.e <$26.00) and that way I do not get any nasty surprises when it arrives. I once got stung for £86.00 Imort Tax on software from the states (I was more naive then!) I have since purchased many items from USA & Canada from EBay and via HPCFactor and have not had to pay any surcharges. Sellers are usually quite happy with request to assign low value to goods.

Craig
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.219 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 11